Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Struggling clubs 'need $2m each'

Quote Originally Posted by Happy Days View Post
    "Stuffed it up along the way", isn't that sticking in the craw of anyone else?

We shot our wad trying to win a premiership in 2010, when Melbourne were still terrible.
    Yeah, it's not nice hearing it, but it's absolutely correct.

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    The only way up is to keep growing our base in the Western Region of Melbourne. One key factor is to get ourselves a premiership and then capitalise on that. We are not going to get preferential treatment on TV, or in the fixture.
    I agree with your post, but I don't believe winning a premiership will help us long term. Yeah, we might hit 40k or 50k members the year after, but it's the blockbuster games and inequitable draw that needs to happen. A flag would only be the icing.

Post Thanks / Like

This issue may have been put on the back burner for now after Eddie's unfortunate comments on his radio show this morning.

Post Thanks / Like

I agree with Mark Stevens, who tweeted that is was borderline insulting for the Dogs to be labelled a basket case seeing as we made 3 consecutive PF's in recent history.

Anyway we won't be hearing much from Ed on this issue in the coming weeks. Needs to remove both feet from his mouth first.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Greystache View Post
    This issue may have been put on the back burner for now after Eddie's unfortunate comments on his radio show this morning.
    What a stupid thing to say.
    The curse is dead.

Post Thanks / Like

How is the Peninsula Club down in Dromana going for us financially?

Post Thanks / Like

The empre is starting to crumble at Collingwood land. Would not be surprised to see a few rats leaving the sinking ship before too long.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sedat View Post
    I agree with Mark Stevens, who tweeted that is was borderline insulting for the Dogs to be labelled a basket case seeing as we made 3 consecutive PF's in recent history.

Anyway we won't be hearing much from Ed on this issue in the coming weeks. Needs to remove both feet from his mouth first.
    Really poor of McGuire to land us in there as well.
    Time for a bex and a lie down Ed.
    Last edited by Remi Moses; 29-05-2013 at 06:41 PM. Reason: Spell check

Post Thanks / Like

The issue I have with Eddie's comments are that he makes no mention that we also lost 2 key players to the expansion clubs. Yes we stuffed up drafts, clubs do that because drafting is an inexact science, but not having Ward in the midfield and Harbrow in defence has probably made the drafting a bigger problem.

The fact is, with the path we are on, we are simply not going to take $2m and spend it on 4 players. The problem with that scenario is that the players (agents) will simply negotiate up inflating the price of good ordinary players. Also, Ed's forgetting that its not $2m, but $6m, assuming you put the 4 guys on 3 year deals. If we got $2m we would be better placed to invest in infrastructure/development and draft and develop better players.

Post Thanks / Like

I think people are a bit hard on Ed. We would not have Mission as a sponsor without him.
    2 million dollars as a gift would go a long way to securing a fantastic footy manager.
    You don't develop courage by being happy in your relationships every day. You develop it by surviving difficult times and challenging adversity. ― Epicurus

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost Dog View Post
    I think people are a bit hard on Ed. We would not have Mission as a sponsor without him.
    2 million dollars as a gift would go a long way to securing a fantastic footy manager.
    Sorry GD, I dont believe that for a second

Eddie might have a good public attitude to us, but I dont think hes ever done much for us

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog Revolution View Post
    Sorry GD, I dont believe that for a second

Eddie might have a good public attitude to us, but I dont think hes ever done much for us
    Disagree. I think Eddie was heavily responsible for Mission and worked closely and well with Smorgo.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost Dog View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    Disagree. I think Eddie was heavily responsible for Mission and worked closely and well with Smorgo.
    I thought he assisted us with Lease Plan but I'm not aware of any link with Mission Foods.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    I thought he assisted us with Lease Plan but I'm not aware of any link with Mission Foods.
    As usual, you're right G. Leaseplan it was.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    As usual, you're right G. Leaseplan it was.
    From memory they wanted to be the main sponsor at Collingwood but the Pies had already committed to another. Leaseplan weren't interested in being a 2nd tier sponsor so Eddie directed them towards us.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-new...504-1y4vu.html

DINNER DATE
    There was something of a love-in among the opposing presidents at David Smorgon's pre-match dinner. The Bulldogs presented their annual community award named in honour of Eddie McGuire, for helping the club find a major sponsor. McGuire then presented Smorgon with a present honouring his 15 years in the top job.
    You don't develop courage by being happy in your relationships every day. You develop it by surviving difficult times and challenging adversity. ― Epicurus