Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Biggest wasted talent???

Quote Originally Posted by The Bulldogs Bite View Post
    Cooney.

He could have been one of the game's greats IMO. He hadn't even reached his peak, yet his 2008 was stellar and netted a brownlow. He simply could not be tagged; he was tough and could win his own ball, and he had elite speed with good decision making and good skills. Furthermore, his ability to kick bags of goals was almost unlike any other midfielder.

Cooney's story is one of the saddest for mine, because although he has been able to play some solid footy this year, we'll never see (or know) how great he could have been.
    Agree with this any day of the week.

The BS that ran through the popular media regarding Ablett's sorrow and sorry story that week was nothing short of disgraceful. The media, whilst being conciliatory to Ablett's loss should have been pumping up one of the best seasons by a 22 year old ever seen.

Cooney was something to behold that year, and his tailing off is a terribly sad story.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post
    Vaguely remember the name. Where was it?
    Banana alley Flinders st.
    Owned by Tim Randall, Stephen Pirrie and I think Craig Stewart .

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    Mike Sheehan has labeled Sam Kekovich as one of the biggest wated talents. To the older woofers, is that fair what was Keka like?
    Would have to agree, he was a great talent in his era, freakish at times, a big brute but from what I can remember, always injured.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    Mike Sheehan has labeled Sam Kekovich as one of the biggest wated talents. To the older woofers, is that fair what was Keka like?
    When I first saw him I thought this is the one bloke who could be better than Whitten. A huge man in terms of bulk with great speed. Once he set off with the pill he would leave would be tacklers in his wake. Problem was he had no work ethic off the ground. No idea of preparation.

One summer, Whitten who had recently retired offered to help him prepare for the next season. He arranged for them to run together each morning. It was Whitten's practise to wrap himself in plastic when doing these mid-season runs to sweat off as much weight as possible. He encouraged Kekavich to do the same.

Keka lasted three mornings and wasn't prepared to get himself out of bed so early after that and so the sessions ended. As did Keka's potential to reach his peak.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Remi Moses View Post

Dont think I ever went there.

I dont know about the biggest wasted talent but one bloke I always thought could have played a lot more senior games was a player from the mid '80s called John Bennett. He was a full forward who came to us from St Kilda and went back there after his time with us. He kicked 85 goals in the reserves in 1984 as well as 8 goals in 3 senior games.

http://stats.rleague.com/afl/stats/p...n_Bennett.html
    They say Burt Lancaster has one, but I don't believe them.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Remi Moses View Post
    Boardwalk was next door to the Sugar Shack if I remember correctly - if you were anywhere near 200 cms tall, your head would be touching the roof at both these clubs

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Would have to agree, he was a great talent in his era, freakish at times, a big brute but from what I can remember, always injured.
    Spot on BAD. What a waste of talent. Could have been a superstar with the right attitude....... Was on Open Mike on Fox this week.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sedat View Post
    Boardwalk was next door to the Sugar Shack if I remember correctly - if you were anywhere near 200 cms tall, your head would be touching the roof at both these clubs
    I remember the Sugar Shack.
    They say Burt Lancaster has one, but I don't believe them.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sedat View Post
    Ahh the sugar shack.Compulsory to look like someone out of that Grunge era.

Post Thanks / Like

Played pool against the golf ball and Strawbs Odwyer at the sugar shack once. They were very messy!

Post Thanks / Like

Jarred Grant certainly has talent - shame for whatever reason we won't be seeing it in the red, white and blue.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by azabob View Post
    Jarred Grant certainly has talent - shame for whatever reason we won't be seeing it in the red, white and blue.
    Very similar to The Tin Man. And he will suffer the same fate.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023