Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Biggest wasted talent???

Quote Originally Posted by westdog54 View Post
    Not sure he's a wasted talent because of attitude as suggested by the OP.

Fevola is certainly the first that comes to mind. If he had even an ounce of professionalism he'd be a legend of the game.
    Obviously we didn't mean it that way, but your right.
    The curse is dead.

Post Thanks / Like

Allen Jakovich, Rod Owen, Doc Whieldon - all prodigiously talented but lacked any semblance of work ethic to have a long term successful career

Post Thanks / Like

Tony Liberatore.

Am I doing it right?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post
    Bucky. Michael Shepperbottom. Local kid, big, quick, aggressive and could kick goals from all over the field.

He just didn't want to be a footballer badly enough though.
    Don't know that that is fair lucky enough to have played footy and cricket with Bucky a terrific bloke think he would have made it with the structures now in place. So many talented youngsters from that era.
    I call em tweeners before the under 18's but after players were able to do
    it for a living phil o'keefe is another. Body wise West was a gun when fit can't recal his first name damn he was tough.
    bulldogs are forever not just when they are winning

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Maddog37 View Post
    Tony Liberatore.

Am I doing it right?
    Please explain, if this is a joke I don't get it?
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Jason Akermanis. Some may think that on field success is the be all and end all. But is it?
    In the end, the purpose is really to create outstanding teams of people, on and off the field.
    Jason is no longer welcome at any club. He's a likable guy, but just lacks awareness.
    He would have been fetted by Brisbane and us, and gained a following for the rest of his years. What a waste.
    You don't develop courage by being happy in your relationships every day. You develop it by surviving difficult times and challenging adversity. ― Epicurus

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Please explain, if this is a joke I don't get it?

Yes BAD it was supposed to be a joke. Obviously not a very good one!

Post Thanks / Like

Bucky. Michael Shepperbottom. Local kid, big, quick, aggressive and could kick goals from all over the field.

He just didn't want to be a footballer badly enough though.
    I remember him Twodogs. From Braybrook. He played seniors at 16 or 17 I'm pretty sure. Thought he was going to be a champ.

Post Thanks / Like

Peter Baxter? Anyone over the age of 40 might remember him.
    Tremendous sportsman from Avondale Heights / East Keilor way. Great junior cricketer and footballer. Got the worst injury a young guy could every get (kicked in the groin) that stymied his career for a long while but he never lived up to his potential by the time he arrived at the Bulldogs mainly just to persistent back injuries.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Recent..... - T Walsh & J Grant & A Everitt

Not So recent - Phil O'Keefe; Ian "Chops" Rickman; Adrian Campbell; Sean Baxter

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by FrediKanoute View Post
    Recent..... - T Walsh & J Grant & A Everitt

Not So recent - Phil O'Keefe; Ian "Chops" Rickman; Adrian Campbell; Sean Baxter
    Can you please check the christian name of Baxter. Surely you can't mean Shaun Baxter?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by strebla View Post
    Don't know that that is fair lucky enough to have played footy and cricket with Bucky a terrific bloke think he would have made it with the structures now in place. So many talented youngsters from that era.
    I call em tweeners before the under 18's but after players were able to do
    it for a living phil o'keefe is another. Body wise West was a gun when fit can't recal his first name damn he was tough.

I didn't mean Michael any disrespect. Maybe it would have been better to say that he had things in his life that took precedence over football? Work and study commitments would have been more important back then rather than giving your entire life over to what was essentially a part time endeavour back in those days.

It's a good point you make about the increased opportunities for talented kids these days. Kids from areas like Braybrook and Maidstone would have a better chance of making a career at sports these days. Especially with the sports program at Maribyrnong College in place. Funnily enough one if my friends-who was immensely gifted sportsperson herself-has two daughters at Maribyrnong and they are thriving. One is in an underage Victorian rep soccer team member and the other is a promising athlete. She grew up in Braybrook too but never got the chances to make a decent go of a career in sports.
    They say Burt Lancaster has one, but I don't believe them.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    Peter Baxter? Anyone over the age of 40 might remember him.
    Tremendous sportsman from Avondale Heights / East Keilor way. Great junior cricketer and footballer. Got the worst injury a young guy could every get (kicked in the groin) that stymied his career for a long while but he never lived up to his potential by the time he arrived at the Bulldogs mainly just to persistent back injuries.

Was the one with all the tats, before every Tom, Dick and Dwane had a full sleeve? Or am I thinking of Phil O' Keefe?
    They say Burt Lancaster has one, but I don't believe them.

Post Thanks / Like

Was the one with all the tats, before every Tom, Dick and Dwane had a full sleeve? Or am I thinking of Phil O' Keefe?
    That was Phil. Peter might have had one on his forearm.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    That was Phil. Peter might have had one on his forearm.
    I remember Peter Baxter, he was considered a very tough sort of player, went in pretty hard for the ball.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.