Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Biggest wasted talent???

Myself. I could have been a triple brownlow medallist, premiership captain, 400 game player and Olympic decathlete. But for the booze and ennui. And French Cinema.

Post Thanks / Like

Adrian Campbell, really thought he was going to be a superstar. Injuries destroyed him

Justin Charles, I was disappointed when he left us and more so after his issues at Richmond.

Mark West, Lit up our 97 finals series but injuries ended his career as well

Andrejs Everitt - We were justified in taking him at pick 11 on talent alone but he just didn't have the work ethic required to make it at the highest level. Could/should have been a star.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Doctor View Post
    Justin Charles, I was disappointed when he left us and more so after his issues at Richmond.
    Went to the USA to play Baseball. I was not happy too when he came back and went to Richmond, but when he got done for drugs, I was glad it was with Richmond
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Doctor View Post
    Andrejs Everitt - We were justified in taking him at pick 11 on talent alone but he just didn't have the work ethic required to make it at the highest level. Could/should have been a star.
    Has been pretty serviceable for the Swans this year, if we'd hung onto him I wonder whether he'd be playing as our second ruck/utility as we speak

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post
    I didn't mean Michael any disrespect. Maybe it would have been better to say that he had things in his life that took precedence over football? Work and study commitments would have been more important back then rather than giving your entire life over to what was essentially a part time endeavour back in those days.

It's a good point you make about the increased opportunities for talented kids these days. Kids from areas like Braybrook and Maidstone would have a better chance of making a career at sports these days. Especially with the sports program at Maribyrnong College in place. Funnily enough one if my friends-who was immensely gifted sportsperson herself-has two daughters at Maribyrnong and they are thriving. One is in an underage Victorian rep soccer team member and the other is a promising athlete. She grew up in Braybrook too but never got the chances to make a decent go of a career in sports.
    Wasn't having a go TwoDogs just wondering how many of my mates could have gone further as this thread shows many locals with an abundance of talent. I can't speak for everyone but Bucky and Phil O'Keefe aslo had a great character. Darren Brown was another who excelled at both footy and cricketand had great character along with too many others to name.On Maribyrnong college my young fella went there on a footy programand the set there is great don't think they have produced a player yet but know that when they do he will be very well prepared.
    bulldogs are forever not just when they are winning

Post Thanks / Like

Let's hope it won't be J. Grant.
    You don't develop courage by being happy in your relationships every day. You develop it by surviving difficult times and challenging adversity. ― Epicurus

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by lemmon View Post
    Has been pretty serviceable for the Swans this year, if we'd hung onto him I wonder whether he'd be playing as our second ruck/utility as we speak
    Its been said before but a first round draft pick should be a damn sight more than 'serviceable'.

Post Thanks / Like

Depends really. If they play 300 serviceable games but are never elite I would be happy. John Blakey etc

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by lemmon View Post
    He's been in and out in Sydney.
    For a first rounder he has been average
    Another Scott Clayton " best player in the draft"
    Shaun Baxter had cancer,terribly sad year.
    Mine would be Adrian Campbell. Had the wrap of the next KT, and unfortunately didn't come up

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Remi Moses View Post
    Mine would be Adrian Campbell. Had the wrap of the next KT, and unfortunately didn't come up

Adrian Campbell did his knee playing for the twos out at VFL park in about 1992. The surgeon at the hospital said it was the worst knee injury he had seen. He compared the trauma to te knee as being similar to the victim of a motorcycle accident.
    They say Burt Lancaster has one, but I don't believe them.

Post Thanks / Like

I will go out in a limb and say Kelvin templeton, if not for the knee he would have been even better!
    Bring back the biff

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ledge View Post
    I will go out in a limb and say Kelvin templeton, if not for the knee he would have been even better!

KT woud have been The. Greatest. Player. Of. All.Time. if it werent for the knee injury. Brownlow medalist, century goal kicker and dual coleman medalist all by the time he he was Liam Jone's age.

I kept telling North suporters that when Carey was at his prime. "pffft, if Templeton hadnt done his knee it would have been Wayne who????" It would drive them to distraction.
    They say Burt Lancaster has one, but I don't believe them.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post
    KT woud have been The. Greatest. Player. Of. All.Time. if it werent for the knee injury. Brownlow medalist, century goal kicker and dual coleman medalist all by the time he he was Liam Jone's age.

I kept telling North suporters that when Carey was at his prime. "pffft, if Templeton hadnt done his knee it would have been Wayne who????" It would drive them to distraction.
    24 scoring shots in a game. I can't see that club record being beaten ever. 24!!!!
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    24 scoring shots in a game. I can't see that club record being beaten ever. 24!!!!
    Is that also an AFL one ?
    Bring back the biff

Post Thanks / Like

Butch edwards had a lot of talent ruined by knee recos too
    Bring back the biff