Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

How Will Minson has shot to No. 1 with a bullet

link

The question posed in frustration by then Western Bulldogs coach Rodney Eade three years ago now only serves to magnify the rise of a player who was once much maligned.

Here's a statement: Will Minson is the best ruckman in the AFL.

The man who used to get more attention for knowing German and playing the saxophone is now letting his football do the talking.

Minson has launched 16.7 per cent of the Dogs' scores - 3.9 points more than any other player.

Minson has been the first link in 34 of the Bulldogs' scores.

In raw numbers he ranks second behind Dean Cox, but the Dogs have scored a lot less than West Coast.

Put simply, when Minson gets his big hands on the ball, good things happen for Brendan McCartney's mob.

He is the top-ranked ruckman in the AFL and the fifth-ranked SuperCoach player overall, up there with names like Gary Ablett, Scott Pendlebury and Jobe Watson.

Minson has been involved in 787 ruck contests - 35 more than any other player - and his 417 hitouts are a whopping 44 more than the next best.

His 130 hitouts-to-advantage are 25 more than his nearest rival.

When the All-Australian selection committee meet for the first time in two weeks, Minson should not only be in the conversation, he should be the topic starter.

When it was suggested to Dogs skipper Matthew Boyd last month that Minson was "half a chance" to become All-Australian, Boyd's response was: "Half a chance? I think you're being a bit harsh on him.

"I'd honestly say, and I'm not being biased, that he is the best ruckman in the game at the moment.

"I get to see the sort of work he does up close each week, but he has been outstanding for us.

"Without Will we might have had a few worse results. He's taken his game to a new level in the last two years."

Bulldogs 1992 Brownlow medallist Scott Wynd described Minson's rise as "spectacular".

"He's just grown and grown. I know 'Rocket' wasn't big on playing him and Ben Hudson in the same side and three years ago Will was doing exactly this in the VFL, but just couldn't get a gig," Wynd said.

"He has shouldered a hell of a lot this year with the Bulldogs struggling in most games and going in with no legitimate second ruckman most of the time."

"Doing it with a young midfield, a learning midfield, they are certainly heavily reliant on him getting his first hands on it.

"All he had to do was to see himself as the legitimate number one ruckman and I always believed he would take the next step."
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: How Will Minson has shot to No. 1 with a bullet

I'll fess up — I had doubts. S owonderful watching him prove us wrong.

Post Thanks / Like

Well I can simply say well done Big Fella. Just keep it going.

I have noticed the last few games, that other coaches are really aware of Will. Even in the game against West Coast, they are regularly trying to get a third man up situation to curb his influence and even to the extent of having both opposition ruckman against him at ball ups and throw ins.

I can also say I never doubted his ability as a true ruckman.
    Life is to be Enjoyed not Endured

Post Thanks / Like

On Footy Classified last night Caro said she thought Mike Pyke was in front of Will as the best ruckman for the season to date.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Axe Man View Post
    On Footy Classified last night Caro said she thought Mike Pyke was in front of Will as the best ruckman for the season to date.
    She would.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

That's exactly why Caro doesnt do match reports or analysis. She has impeccable contacts and she isnt afraid to express an opinion but she knows 3/5s of FA about how the game is played.
    They say Burt Lancaster has one, but I don't believe them.

Post Thanks / Like

Well Done William! Outstanding effort this year - passionate believer too.

Met him in his draft year in Darwin (when we were going through another pretty rough time) and I asked if he felt we would have a flag tilt in 3 or 4 years.

Looked me in the eye and said "why would I want to wait 3 years. We are going to give it a go now"

Been a fan ever since even through the brain fades. A truly great story just proving himself day after day in the right way.

Post Thanks / Like

Big fan of Will ever since he started.

Post Thanks / Like

He's come along way from behind the shadows of Ben Hudson. Despite the issues with the Kornes, and how much I love Griff and young Wally, this guy should be captain in my book.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post
    That's exactly why Caro doesnt do match reports or analysis. She has impeccable contacts and she isnt afraid to express an opinion but she knows 3/5s of FA about how the game is played.

And a big shout out to Will Minson.

Anybody thnk he is a chance to take Charlie home this year?
    They say Burt Lancaster has one, but I don't believe them.

Post Thanks / Like

An emphatic NO.

But Griff might be more than a sneaky chance.
    Life is to be Enjoyed not Endured

Post Thanks / Like

He's been excellent, but I'm not sure it's as good as Scott's 1992, and were a bottom team.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

That's a bit generous to her IMO.
    [B][COLOR="#0000CD"]Our club was born in blood and boots, not in AFL focus groups.[/COLOR][/B]

Post Thanks / Like

Couldn't care less. Her opinion holds no weight with me at all.

Post Thanks / Like

Paul Sydney Swans ( sorry Roos) thinks Pyke should be as well.
    Minson's a mile ahead