Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Best non dogs game you've ever attended.

Quote Originally Posted by Remi Moses View Post
    For us a bit older
    The 83 qualifying final Fitzroy v Hawthorn
    Heartbreaking loss for the Roys , with a contentious deliberate and Michael Tuck goaling 50 out on the boundary. A couple of those Geelong games in 89 were unbelievable as well

Yep I was at that one too. Was it Nettlefold that had the deliberate out of bounds paid against him? Back in the day you could buy a series ticket in standing room for both grounds (VFL Park and the MCG) for around twenty bucks. It admitted you to each game and they were terriffic value.

I saw the match when Dempsey and Peter Moore kept pushing/pulling each other over in ruck contests that lead to the continual mucking around with rules for the ruck contests we get these days. I must have snuck down to sit in one of the bays because I can remember sitting quite close to the boundary.

I also remember being at the 1982 GF when Helen D'Amico ran onto the ground naked. Just as we were settling into our seats after halftime the guy sittting next to me said "There's a lady on the ground. And she hasnt got any clothes on" I'd put my binocaulars away for halftime and dropped my pie trying to get them out again.
    They say Burt Lancaster has one, but I don't believe them.

Post Thanks / Like

And I was at the 'line in the sand' game (was it really nine years ago?) for work. I took two clients-one in a wheelchair and an old lady (who I didnt really get along with-she was an Essendon supporter)

Anyway not long after halftime the fight breaks out and the old lady is on her feet calling every Hawthorn player every name under the sun. When it had all calmed down again she sat down with a huge smile on her face and said "Ahhh-I havent enjoyed anything like that in years" We got on like a house on fire after that. I was even a pall bearer at her funeral!

Post Thanks / Like

Fitzroy's last game against the Dockers ... Average game, but very emotional.

And (I think) the Carlton v Collingwood Centenary match (late 80s / early 90s) ... The one where Shaw was bleeding profusely from the head and he was hugging his mum on field afterwards. (Please correct me if I'm wrong ... I'm getting older and my memory ain't the best)
    WOOF Member 422

Post Thanks / Like

I remembered another one. One of my uncles was a Fitzroy supporter and I can remember him taking me to a Fitzroy/North match at Arden st. in the late '70s. North were a gun side, Fitzroy not such a gun side and North were 5 goals up with a few minutes to play when my uncle said "Come on and we'll beat the crowd" By the time we'd walked 50 metres Fitzroy kicked 4 goals and were back in the game. I'm pretty sure they won because I can remember the Fitzroy supporters being delirious and me standing there wondering what all the fuss was about. That's the day I knew I was Footscray through and through.

Now that I think about it, it was a next door neighbour, not an uncle.

Post Thanks / Like

The 2006 Grand Final is the only Grand Final I've been to and it was the best game I've seen outside of Bulldog's game.
    But then again, I'm an Internet poster and Bevo is a premiership coach so draw your own conclusions.

Post Thanks / Like

Best game North v Swans @ SCG when North were trying to make Sydney a second home. Late nineties?
    Kelly willed the Swans to an unlikely win in the last minutes. Terrific maqtch, best game I've seen live.

Hudson's comeback game vs McKenna and Collingwood at Waverley - 1973 I think. Good game. Hudson potted 7 or 8?
    The fight is here; I need ammunition, not a ride.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by AndrewP6 View Post
    I like football, but I have no interest in seeing another team play it. Yes, I've wanted to see a GF, but only one with the Dogs in it. I'd only go to a non-Bulldog game if someone gave me a ticket, and then only if friends were going too.
    I understand that the game is less exciting without a vested interest and I certainly don't make a habit of going to non-Dogs games but you also get to see the game a little differently, maybe dispassionately but sometimes more clearly. I'm not a particularly big fan of Buddy but it's certainly more fun watching him take apart Essendon at the MCG, which i did one Saturday afternoon, than it is watching him destroy us.
    Park that car
    Drop that phone
    Sleep on the floor
    Dream about me

Post Thanks / Like

The Richmond-Saints game, where Riewoldt 2 missed after the siren from about sixty. A saints-supporting mate of mine stood up and let off a huge cheer only for a Richmond supporting mate of mine to punch him in the stomach.
    - I'm a visionary - Only here to confirm my biases -

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Happy Days View Post
    The Richmond-Saints game, where Riewoldt 2 missed after the siren from about sixty. A saints-supporting mate of mine stood up and let off a huge cheer only for a Richmond supporting mate of mine to punch him in the stomach.
    That is funny
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Also a nomination for the 09 GF.

I was still gutted, but I got to point out to the st Kilda crowd around me that Hawkins kick actually hit the post, cue the anger. Then they turned the anger on themselves and attacked their own like Raph Clarke (Remember that Spud. I still can't believed he played as much AFL as he did). and I then got to watch the toe poke that led to the sound of hearts literally breaking around me. Like a crystal wind chime, but with tears. Raw emotions at the footy that day.

Some would call it a silver lining.
    Last edited by bulldogtragic; 05-06-2013 at 08:06 PM.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

1991 elimination final between Geelong and St Kilda at Waverly(Dads a Cats supporter). Cats won by 7 with Brownless and Lockett kicking bags.
    The curse is dead.

Post Thanks / Like

1990 VFA Grand Final

Williamstown come back from the dead to beat Springvale by 2 points, thanks to a goal by Billy Swan with only 30 seconds left.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by chef View Post
    1991 elimination final between Geelong and St Kilda at Waverly(Dads a Cats supporter). Cats won by 7 with Brownless and Lockett kicking bags.
    This was the first AFL game i ever went to. Don't remember much about it though.

Post Thanks / Like

This day in 2003. Richmond v North at Telstra dome. Game was Jason McCartneys return from his injuries caused by the Bali bombing. Was possibly the most emotional night of football I've ever attended and consider myself very lucky to have been there.
    "Loves a scrap....oh yeah & he's a pretty handy footballer as well"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post
    Yep I was at that one too. Was it Nettlefold that had the deliberate out of bounds paid against him? Back in the day you could buy a series ticket in standing room for both grounds (VFL Park and the MCG) for around twenty bucks. It admitted you to each game and they were terriffic value.

I saw the match when Dempsey and Peter Moore kept pushing/pulling each other over in ruck contests that lead to the continual mucking around with rules for the ruck contests we get these days. I must have snuck down to sit in one of the bays because I can remember sitting quite close to the boundary.

I also remember being at the 1982 GF when Helen D'Amico ran onto the ground naked. Just as we were settling into our seats after halftime the guy sittting next to me said "There's a lady on the ground. And she hasnt got any clothes on" I'd put my binocaulars away for halftime and dropped my pie trying to get them out again.
    It was Nettlefold . Great goal from Tuck ( 50 out on the boundary post high)
    I reckon Bernie kicked a bag in the last term
    I reckon the Roys would have won the flag if they won that game