Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: 2013 - Mid Season Report Card - The Midfielders

To me Wallis has not progressed at all and I am starting to worry he won't be as good as we thought he might. He seems to hurry his kicks and ends up with a lot of turnovers. He really needs to improve his kicking and accuracy or he may just be an average player.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Daniel Cross
    Season so far:
    Daniel's form this year has been well documented - not to say it hasn't been much of the same from Crossy but as the game has moved forward and the way our list is being developed he's dropped off a little and lost his place in the side in recent weeks.

On the numbers, he's averaging 21 disposals, 8.5 contested possessions and 4 tackles a game. He continues to be a real workhorse who will run all game and also maintains his manic attack on the contest often putting himself at risk of serious injury for the team.

It's a real testament to Crossy how he's taken his demotion and will be a greater indication of his love for the team how he takes on his role at Williamstown and really helps drive the standards and improvement in his younger teammates.

Outlook:
    I think Crossy will certainly play more games this year because of form or injury but it's hard to see him forcing his way back in at present given the number of younger inside players we have who have either a bit more speed or a bit more offensive ability with their ball use. He's a great club man and will be a terrific mentor so I'd really like to see him go around again next year in some capacity even if as a player for the reserves side. It'll be sad to see him go but he can know he left absolutely no stone unturned in getting the most out of himself.

Rating:
    G#16 C+

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Griffen#16 View Post
    Clay Smith
    Season so far:
    Outlook:
    I'd like to see him spend time inside the contest in the middle and rest forward and avoid using him off a wing.
    Rating:
    G#16 B-
    Could not agree more - they played him on the wing all day against Richmond in round 3 and he did not look his usual self (played a shocker in fact). He just is not an outside player.

In the footage of Stringer's amazing shove & dribble goal against West Coast in Round 6, Smith feeds Stringer the half opportunity from the wing - but watch it and you will see all of his uncomfortableness at outside plays in evidence.

He is good on the ball inside, he is also quite good up forward because he is a reliable kick at goal on the run and knows how to use his physical strength to advantage in the forward line clinches.

Post Thanks / Like

Will Minson
    Season so far:
    Will has had his best year of AFL footy to the half way mark. He leads the AFL for hitouts and hitouts to advantage and has been a dominate force around the clearances, averaging just over 4 per game. He's also averaging about 3.5 tackles a game which is a good effort for a big man, along with 3 1%ers showing his ability to apply blocks and assist his running brigade around the contest.

There are still areas of improvement left in Will's game too. He's taken 6 contested marks for the year and averages only 1.6 marks per game which are two areas he can continue to improve. He's also managed 2 goals for the year and an increased ability to impact the scoreboard would see him become a very well rounded and damaging ruck, one of the elite.

That being said, he is being asked to do the bulk of the heavy lifting by himself which perhaps prevents him from spending too much time resting forward or working too hard to create an option to receive. Once Cordy is back and able to provide more of a chop out in the ruck I'd like to see Will given more licence to run/rest forward and try to impose his big frame on the marking contest.

Outlook:
    It's been a big point of discussion that Will is certainly right in the mix for AA selection to the half way point of the season. He's played some ripper games and seems to have finally found the consistency in his game which is something that had alluded him in previous years. If he can maintain this form an AA nomination seems very likely and I expect we may see him feature in the top 10 (or much higher) in the B&F although based on last year, who knows.

Rating:
    G#16 A

Post Thanks / Like

Cross, unfortunately the end is near
    C
    Minson , outstanding clearly favourite for All Australian
    A+
    Wallis, disappointing year so far, he seems to panic and needs to show more composure.
    C
    Smith, coming along nicely and he'll be up and down as a young player.
    B

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Remi Moses View Post
    Cross, unfortunately the end is near
    C
    Minson , outstanding clearly favourite for All Australian
    A+
    Wallis, disappointing year so far, he seems to panic and needs to show more composure.
    C
    Smith, coming along nicely and he'll be up and down as a young player.
    B
    Not too sure about this. We just have a glut of that type of player.
    You don't develop courage by being happy in your relationships every day. You develop it by surviving difficult times and challenging adversity. ― Epicurus

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost Dog View Post
    Not too sure about this. We just have a glut of that type of player.
    So you don't think the end is here for Cross?
    Like to see him in a coaching playing role next season.
    We must move forward

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Remi Moses View Post
    So you don't think the end is here for Cross?
    Like to see him in a coaching playing role next season.
    We must move forward
    Coach has told him he isnot in the best 22, so I think its all over for him.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Coach has told him he isnot in the best 22, so I think its all over for him.
    He has looked pretty ok to me when he has played this year. He is a victim of the need for a youth policy. Pearce & Hunter spring to mind as blokes who really should get some games into them in 2013.

Post Thanks / Like

Jackson Macrae
    Season so far:
    Jackson has been the pick of our first year players thus far, playing 6 games for the season. Given his body shape at the time of his drafting it's a huge testament to him how quickly he's been able to step up and not seem overawed at AFL level. He's averaging just under 18 possessions a game, 6.3 of which are contested. He's going to be more of an outside/in player rather than a contested ball beast but his numbers inside the contest for a younger player who needs more size and strength are very good.

He's averaging 1.5 clearances per game along with 2.5 inside 50's. He's hit the scoreboard for 2 goals and has 3 goal assists to go with that too.

His ability to lay a tackle and withstand the physical pressure which has been applied to him (particularly against St Kilda where he copped a bit of treatment) has been very impressive. His sidestep is fast becoming a trademark move and he seems to have the time and poise to think situations through and make good decisions. His kicking can be a little dinky at times, I'm not sure if he's trying to do too much or not but there is some improvement there for him.

Outlook:
    I'd love to see Jack play out the rest of the season, resting when he needs to so as not to cause too much fatigue and risk of injury. For first year players just getting through a whole season and playing as much as possible is the best thing for their long term development for mine. He can play a mix of roles and I'd like to see him at times off a half back flank, as well as off the wing and forward flank so he can continue to develop his versatility.

Rating:
    G#16 B

Post Thanks / Like

The Others - Nathan Hrovat, Jason Tutt
    Season so far:
    Hrovat has came into the side recently after having an untimely injury interrupt his pre-season at the last moment. He's been impressive so far, averaging 16 disposals per game over half of which are contested. His disposal efficiency is at 75% and he has shown he has good poise and skill.

Tutt has played the 4 games for the season, at times more as a forward than a midfielder where he has had moments of being effective and other games where he has hardly been able to get a handle on the ball. He's only averaging 8.5 possessions a game and needs to double that average to have any hope of forging a successful career with his skill sets.

Outlook:
    Hrovat seems a lock to continue to play as much football as possible and it's hard to see him being displaced from the team as he can play midfield and forward and is another who needs as much game time at AFL level as possible.

Tutt is an interesting one and if he can knock the door down at VFL level he's a good chance to earn a recall. His best position for mine is still as a winger who works hard to spread and receive - he may be able to rest forward at times with effect but he lacks the nous to play as a small, creative forward at this stage of his career. I like a lot of his attributes such as his running ability, speed and kicking skill but he simply needs to get more ball to demonstrate those qualities more often at AFL level.

Rating:
    G#16 Hrovat - B
    Tutt - C-