Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

AFL Player Encounters

After reading F'scary's post about his encounter with Andy Barnett, I thought it might be interesting to hear about other posters encounters with AFL players or people. Ideally, we only want to hear about the good ones and doggies related ones would be held in high regard. I don't have any in that regard, but I do have one on Collingwood Captain Nick Maxwell.

A few years ago I was at the spring racing carnival in a marquee with quite a few celebrities. There was a few AFL players and I distinctly remember there being a few hawthorn players there who looked like they have have been having a little too much fun. A young fan went to get a photo with a few of the guys who obliged quickly before returning to their drinks.

Anyhow, later on in the afternoon, I noticed Nick Maxwell and Harry O having a couple of drinks and chatting to a couple of people. Another young AFL fan came up to speak to them and I remember Maxwell turning around, dropping to one knee, taking a photo with the young fan and then spending a good 10 minutes talking to him and his mother about his favourite players, footy teams etc etc.

It should be noted that none of the players there were there in an official club capacity.

In some ways I was annoyed because I am not the biggest fan of Maxwell on field, however this did really make me take note of how much of a quality guy he was and for him to take a chunk of his own personal time to interact with a young fan was terrific.

So how about it, what positive encounters have you had with footy personnel, doggies related or otherwise? Share a story!

Post Thanks / Like

Re: AFL Player Encounters

In my immediate past life as a police officer I had reason to meet numerous sportsmen, most of them i found to be great (even those who i booked). Most are confident, young and nice guys, i really liked meeting Wakelin from Collingwood at a train station one day. As far as specifics go, I had reason to book Cam White, Andrew Bogut and Garry Lyon (prick). Met David Schwartz (top bloke) and many, many others at the races too (seems AFL players are obliged under their contracts to attend the marquees . ). On the flip side I regret not arresting a drunken Fevola and his mates at the local footy (about ten years ago), who then where alleged to have assaulted a man later that night. He just didn't quite meet the threshold... One of the biggest knobs I have ever met!
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

I honestly don't mean offence to you Wimberga, but I really do take examples like yours with a gran of salt. Celebrities or Footballers are human like the rest of us. I know sometimes myself, I am full of beans and other times don't want a bar of anyone. You get these encounters where a celeb' is having a 1/50 day and that is the day a poor fan approaches them. To their credit they say something like "sorry I'm out with my friends, maybe some other time" and they are the villan.
    My uncle tells a story where he disliked Chris(t) Grant because he didn't sign some kids autograph one day. I think that is a little unfair, you don't know what he had going on and it isn't like he told the kid to F'off.
    .....also I refuse to support a post stating that the captain of the scummiest bunch of scums is actually a nice bloke.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    I had reason to book .... Andrew Bogut
    Hope you turned the taser volts up and called for back up for that one? What is he 7ft 1in and 120kg?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by HairyMidget View Post
    Hope you turned the taser volts up and called for back up for that one? What is he 7ft 1in and 120kg?
    Freakin enormous, he was driving from the back seat.

I worked out, during the five minutes I had him pulled over, he made more money than the fine was worth!!!!
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by HairyMidget View Post
    I honestly don't mean offence to you Wimberga, but I really do take examples like yours with a gran of salt. Celebrities or Footballers are human like the rest of us. I know sometimes myself, I am full of beans and other times don't want a bar of anyone. You get these encounters where a celeb' is having a 1/50 day and that is the day a poor fan approaches them. To their credit they say something like "sorry I'm out with my friends, maybe some other time" and they are the villan.
    My uncle tells a story where he disliked Chris(t) Grant because he didn't sign some kids autograph one day. I think that is a little unfair, you don't know what he had going on and it isn't like he told the kid to F'off.
    .....also I refuse to support a post stating that the captain of the scummiest bunch of scums is actually a nice bloke.
    No offence taken at all HM. I agree with what your saying and understand that people can sometimes just have "those days".

I suppose that's why I am more interested in hearing positive experiences that Woofers have had. That and its just good to share a story or two.

Post Thanks / Like

About 12 years ago I was at Highpoint with my (then) baby son. Chris Grant owned the AFL shop at that stage so I took my son to meet him. He wanted to know his name and we talked footy for 10 minutes or so about footy and I went on my way.

About 18 months later little Twodogs (who was walking by then) and I were at Whitten Oval picking up tickets for a game when we walked past Chris coming out of the players entrance. He not only stopped to talk but remembered my son's name. Chris Grant is a unique human being.
    They say Burt Lancaster has one, but I don't believe them.

Post Thanks / Like

Brad hardie Doing wheelies while i was sitting in the back of his car in the whitten oval car park the Sunday before he won the brownlow.
    Bring back the biff

Post Thanks / Like

We played North in a tight match in the Rhode era and won. Carey got beaten by Matthew Croft playing a real blinder. That was on the Sunday. The next day I was working late and I was one of only a couple left in the office. I was walking down to the tea room and noticed in the corner of my eye someone in the marketing managers office, I thought it was Crofty, but then I said to myself, nah can't be, I am still on a high after winning the previous day.

On the way back to my office, the marketing manager yells out, hey Michael, I have someone here you would like to meet, sure enough it was Croft and we had a great discussion on the North Melbourne game. After that got to know him a bit and we did some business together.

When I left that company and went to another we did some more business together. Croft invited myself and one other (from our company) to the players golf day on behalf of his company and my mate and I played in a four with Murphy and Mark Stevens. Murphy was hilarious and lots of fun and had cameras from the old fox footy channel filming for Murphy's segment on club corner -a great day.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    In my immediate past life as a police officer I had reason to meet numerous sportsmen, most of them i found to be great (even those who i booked). Most are confident, young and nice guys, i really liked meeting Wakelin from Collingwood at a train station one day. As far as specifics go, I had reason to book Cam White, Andrew Bogut and Garry Lyon (prick). Met David Schwartz (top bloke) and many, many others at the races too (seems AFL players are obliged under their contracts to attend the marquees . ). On the flip side I regret not arresting a drunken Fevola and his mates at the local footy (about ten years ago), who then where alleged to have assaulted a man later that night. He just didn't quite meet the threshold... One of the biggest knobs I have ever met!
    There's a ticket for Disorderly Conduct these days. For those who fall just just short of being lodged. Great for the ones that fail the attitude test. Would have been just right.

Saw Dane Swan in King St at 3am last weekend. Posed for a few photos before escaping into Centrefold Lounge.

What did you book Andrew Bogut for, just out of curiosity.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by westdog54 View Post
    There's a ticket for Disorderly Conduct these days. For those who fall just just short of being lodged. Great for the ones that fail the attitude test. Would have been just right.

Saw Dane Swan in King St at 3am last weekend. Posed for a few photos before escaping into Centrefold Lounge.

What did you book Andrew Bogut for, just out of curiosity.
    Nothing too serious, just Doing 80 in a 60 zone. Got his speed zones mixed up. Happens to us all, even the famous ones. Unlike some other celebs who can be pricks, he was really good about and took it in his stride.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by westdog54 View Post
    Saw Dane Swan in King St at 3am last weekend. Posed for a few photos before escaping into Centrefold Lounge. .
    I would have thought that he would be breaking a team curfew.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

When I was living in Essendon as a kid, I lived across the road from Essendon Mazda, owned by Steve Wallis. All the boys — Dougie, Grant, Libba, etc. — came to buy Mazdas and I made sure I nagged them all every time. They were all great and really patient with me.

Doing my paper round in Buckley Street in 1993, I was hit by a car and knocked off my bike. It was Darren Bewick and Michael Long. Signed heaps of stuff for my grandmother (Dons mad).

Just this preseason ran into Ivan Maric in Heathcote. He is an absolute unit, biggest/broadest shoulders I've ever seen.

Went to school with Brock McLean, who was in love with my sister for years. She kept knocking him back because he was ugly and obnoxious.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    I would have thought that he would be breaking a team curfew.
    If there was a curfew, I don't think Swan would be to concerned about breaking it.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    We played North in a tight match in the Rhode era and won. Carey got beaten by Matthew Croft playing a real blinder. That was on the Sunday. The next day I was working late and I was one of only a couple left in the office. I was walking down to the tea room and noticed in the corner of my eye someone in the marketing managers office, I thought it was Crofty, but then I said to myself, nah can't be, I am still on a high after winning the previous day.

On the way back to my office, the marketing manager yells out, hey Michael, I have someone here you would like to meet, sure enough it was Croft.

Years ago a mate of mine was at Highpoint with his son who was just a toddler at the time. My mate spotted Crofty having a coffee at one of the cafes and said "Look that is Matthew Croft" (his son's fave player) "That's not Matthew Croft" said the little boy "he isnt wearing his footy jumper with number 16 on the back!"

Quote Originally Posted by BornAScragger View Post
    When I was living in Essendon as a kid, I lived across the road from Essendon Mazda, owned by Steve Wallis. All the boys — Dougie, Grant, Libba, etc. — came to buy Mazdas and I made sure I nagged them all every time. They were all great and really patient with me.
    I grew up around the corner from Rohan Smith-his mum was our kindergarten teacher. He was that little kid a few years younger than the rest of us who would always hang around waiting to be asked to play footy or cricket on the street with the rest of us. Anyway we asked him to play with us once and once only. He was so much better than the rest of us it was embarrassing.

Doing my paper round in Buckley Street in 1993, I was hit by a car and knocked off my bike. It was Darren Bewick and Michael Long. Signed heaps of stuff for my grandmother (Dons mad).

A few years ago I was fishing off the breakwater in Warnambool with my ex father in law when a ranga sidled up and asked us how they were biting. We showed him our catch so he threw a line in next to us. All along I'm thinking "Geez this bloke looks familiar" After half an hour or so talking and fishing the penny dropped-it was Darren Bewick.
    [QUOTE]

Went to school with Brock McLean, who was in love with my sister for years. She kept knocking him back because he was ugly and obnoxious.
    Ias it true he was a Footscray supporter?
    They say Burt Lancaster has one, but I don't believe them.