Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: AFL Player Encounters

Quote Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post
    I grew up around the corner from Rohan Smith-his mum was our kindergarten teacher.
    My dad grew up around the corner from Rohan Smith too! Wonder if it was the same corner or a different one?
    Wake me up when we get to heaven, let me sleep if we're going to hell

Good luck, for your sake I hope heaven and hell are really there, but I wouldn't hold my breath

And we all found heaven - 2016 Premiers!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Daughter of the West View Post
    My dad grew up around the corner from Rohan Smith too! Wonder if it was the same corner or a different one?

Depends. Did your dad live in the same street as Wally Donald? Because the Donalds lived on the next street that ran parallel to ours. I cant remember what it is called.

Your dad might have been one of the kids I used to kick the footy with! Those games could get pretty epic.
    They say Burt Lancaster has one, but I don't believe them.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post
    Depends. Did your dad live in the same street as Wally Donald? Because the Donalds lived on the next street that ran parallel to ours. I cant remember what it is called.

Your dad might have been one of the kids I used to kick the footy with! Those games could get pretty epic.
    Dad grew up in Adeney Street. Wouldn't surprise me at all if he or one of his brothers was in those footy games!
    Wake me up when we get to heaven, let me sleep if we're going to hell

Good luck, for your sake I hope heaven and hell are really there, but I wouldn't hold my breath

And we all found heaven - 2016 Premiers!

Post Thanks / Like

Used to work in a well known bedroom store in fortitude valley, my manager there was an ex st Kilda player from the 80s called Gary. The mangager knows a few of the current brisbane lions players so they would sometimes shop at that place. My most fond memory was having Jono brown as a customer, he is such a down to earth guy and was happy to talk footy with me for a good little while. Really seems as though his celebrity has not changed him at all.

Post Thanks / Like

Saw Matt Cruizer from Carlton at Doncaster Shopping Centre
    Saw Scott Pendlebury from Collingwood at Chadstone Shopping Centre
    Saw James Hird on a holiday to Brisbane at the hotel we were staying at a little over 10 years ago now

Post Thanks / Like

Through some things I do I have a few afl footballers I know to a degree, cross paths fairly regularly and to be honest most of them are great blokes if you keep the conversation short and sensible. A few years ago I was at a mates 40h, and a few crows were there. I mentioned to one of the stars that I noticed him at a wwe wrestling event (I took my sons) during the week. I know nothing about wrestling, but he and my son (back then) were addicted. Without a crack of a lie they sat down together and discussed wwe for about 45 minutes. At one stage I wondered back, mentioned footy, they both stared at me and kept talking about wrestling. Great work and it annoys me that crows players can be great blokes.

Also I've never met him, but NFL all star Darren Bennett is a friend of a friend and regularly comments on some of my footy photos on Facebook.

Post Thanks / Like

About 5 minutes ago, I was walking back to my office along Lt. Collins Street, chuffing away on my Peterson pipe and some bloke just behind me asked me (politely) to not smoke near him.

Turned around, it's Josh Gibson. I said, “Sure, I'll even put it out for you, if you pull up sore the week before playing the Doggies.”

He said he would, but somehow I don't think he'll follow through on it.

Post Thanks / Like

Last year after the Brownlow I was at a hotel post-work function.

Went downstairs to kick on the drinking, at some point I noticed David King, Barry Round & co drinking. Of course I was pretty inebriated at this point (11.30-12am).

The bar was closing and they made a fuss about it, I went up and made a (piss poor) joke to King. He told me where to go, in a not so polite manner, I think I approached him again that night and got the same reception. Probably deserved that one in my drunken state

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BornAScragger View Post
    About 5 minutes ago, I was walking back to my office along Lt. Collins Street, chuffing away on my Peterson pipe and some bloke just behind me asked me (politely) to not smoke near him.

Turned around, it's Josh Gibson. I said, “Sure, I'll even put it out for you, if you pull up sore the week before playing the Doggies.”

He said he would, but somehow I don't think he'll follow through on it.
    So you were walking in an open area and he asked you to stop smoking?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by azabob View Post
    So you were walking in an open area and he asked you to stop smoking?
    Yeah, though I didn't mind — a pipe puts out a shitload of smoke.

Post Thanks / Like

I've posted this before but have run into Bob Murphy at a park in rathdowne st Carlton a number of times. Have a chat while Jarvis and my son run around - they're the same age. Only spoke a bit about footy the first time we met. As you can all appreciate you can have a conversation across a number of topics with Bob. Hadn't seen him for a while and then met him again at Union Square in Brunswick. Remembered my son's name, classy on the field as well as off it.
    But then again, I'm an Internet poster and Bevo is a premiership coach so draw your own conclusions.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 1eyedog View Post
    I've posted this before but have run into Bob Murphy at a park in rathdowne st Carlton a number of times. Have a chat while Jarvis and my son run around - they're the same age. Only spoke a bit about footy the first time we met. As you can all appreciate you can have a conversation across a number of topics with Bob. Hadn't seen him for a while and then met him again at Union Square in Brunswick. Remembered my son's name, classy on the field as well as off it.
    Haven't had more than a quick word or two at Bulldog Supporter events but Bob seems like all around top bloke. When he parts, I will miss his presence as much as I miss Johnno & Grant.