Thanks Thanks:  4
Likes Likes:  44
Page 10 of 68 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718192060 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Operation Get Tom Boyd

Quote Originally Posted by Greystache View Post
    But if another club decided to do whatever it takes to get him then that situation changes. We need to make sure we read the play extremely well if we take that approach.

The best available approach regardless of list structure is a bad approach. All selections have a gamble element and to say that X player is definitely so much better than Y that even though we have an abundance of X and desperately need Y we can't possibly overlook X. It's just clubs taking the easy/short term view and recruiters drinking their own bath water thinking they have recruiting down to a science.

Every draft pick has some element of gamble. at least Boyd has dominated at underage level, that's not something that can be said of any of our other early draft pick talls, regardless of how early we selected them (eg Walsh at #4 and Grant at #5).
    Grant was miles ahead as the number one contested marker in the TAC Cup... But I still agree with your sentiment.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    Outside the square, if they want Boyd and a pick 3 midfielder, subject to medical, Patton would be a great get with our first pick.
    That's potentially a more likely scenario and certainly one we should consider.

But if they don't want Boyd, then they are passing up a free player. Higgo or Smith for free isn't all that bad.
    It's not free, there's an opportunity cost attached to it. They could potentially trade to a midtable club and get a good players that fills a need and pick #8 for pick #1 instead.

Eg Pick #8 and Bastinac from Norf.

Post Thanks / Like

Grant was miles ahead as the number one contested marker in the TAC Cup... But I still agree with your sentiment.
    But he only played 8 games and didn't play for Vic metro in the National Champs. His exposed form was limited.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost Dog View Post
    The Bulldogs met with the Giants recently and signalled strong interest in purchasing the rights to Boyd via the No.1 pick.
    A Dogs-Giants deal wouldn't be difficult, because it would involve no more than the Dogs swapping from pick No.3 or 4 to pick No.1 (again, we assume the Demons aren't 18th).
    The Dogs wouldn't need to part with as much, because pick three is worth far more than Carlton's eventual pick. Therefore, it behoves the Blues to be daring. Kreuzer and Yarran have the currency to trump the Dogs, the Lions and probably most clubs, particularly if the Giants keep Carlton's first pick.

Read more: http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-new...#ixzz2XkdCd100
    Interesting article . With GWS and their large stable of key forwards could entertain that
    ( if they get Buddy)

Post Thanks / Like

Its interesting that we are in talks with GWS for pick no 1. I mean we must really really rate this kid if we are prepared to give away an established player for nothing with pick 3 as we could get Boyd at pick 3 on its own. But its obviously not that straight forward, considering we could finish ahead of the Saints or GWS play us by saying they will take Boyd either way. They hold all the power here so we need to be careful

Post Thanks / Like

I think our desperation is well known .

Post Thanks / Like

Griffen is worth pick 1 on his own.

Him plus pick #3 in exchange for pick #1 is way way over the odds.
    Griffen is superior to a pick 1, who are untried and potential only. He has risen to elite status, is devoted to the Bulldogs and is at his best now and and has years left. You do not trade Griffens and you do not talk about trading Griffens. You never forget Griffens because he is one of our best ever.
    Matt Boyd, Higgins and/or Cooney plus our no.3 pick for GWS no.1 pick may get the deal done because one or two of those three offer experience and culture. Matt Boyd in particular could show the young GWS how to train the house down, what's needed to get the best out of your talent. This is gold especially to GWS. Matt Boyd has football culture. Like Les Patterson, cultural attache, he has culture coming out of his a---hole

Post Thanks / Like

Sorry that should be Sir Les Patterson who's in culture up to his a---hole culture.
    http://www.photoshop.com/tools/expresseditor?wf=editor

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BornInDroopSt'54 View Post
    Griffen is superior to a pick 1, who are untried and potential only. He has risen to elite status, is devoted to the Bulldogs and is at his best now and and has years left. You do not trade Griffens and you do not talk about trading Griffens. You never forget Griffens because he is one of our best ever.
    No one is suggesting we trade Griffen, in all likelihood he'll be captain next year. Some posters were just questioning what it would take to get pick #1 in the draft.

Post Thanks / Like

How do junior watchers compare Boyd and Patton?

I think we need to go very hard at one of them, while maintaining the likes of Minson and co.

Package Pick 3 with a Wood/Higgins/Smith/Wallis type if possible.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Bulldogs Bite View Post

I think we need to go very hard at one of them, while maintaining the likes of Minson and co.

Yes and how does he compare to Jesse Wells who I saw on Sat on on ch 2? On paper they are very similar. Wells was outstanding, a man at 18.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Bulldogs Bite View Post

I'm just googling the comparisons bw Patton and Boyd. Height, weight are similar.

"Where Patton played with a pack-splitting, bash-and-crash mentality, Boyd has operated as more of a lead-up target for the Ranges."

Boyd averaged over 3 goals a game as a junior in the TAC cup last year. This year averaging over 5!!!

As for Patton "He won the Eastern Ranges' best-and-fairest in 2010 as a 17-year-old and this season was named as the under-18 All-Australian full-forward after a stunning national championships in which he kicked 18 goals and was named best on ground in three of Vic Metro's five games.

In 11 TAC Cup matches this year Patton averaged 4.3 contested marks (1.2 more than the league's next best) and 2.8 goals (0.5 better than any other multiple-game player)."

Both very impressive, I'd be stoked with either.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

No one is suggesting we trade Griffen, in all likelihood he'll be captain next year. Some posters were just questioning what it would take to get pick #1 in the draft.
    Thanks Greystache. Is that your moustache that's grey? My beard's hairs are grey and I've earnt everyone of them.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BornInDroopSt'54 View Post
    Thanks Greystache. Is that your moustache that's grey? My beard's hairs are grey and I've earnt everyone of them.
    No, not old enough for grey just yet. It's a mix of a classic Simpsons episode and the irony that I can't really grow a moustache.

Post Thanks / Like

I think It's more likely than not, looking at the remaining fixtures that the Saints will finish 16th and us 15th, Saints would be super keen to do a deal with GWS to get Boyd.