Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Neeld Sacked

Post Thanks / Like

Neeld Sacked

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-new...617-2ocws.html

Melbourne has sacked coach Mark Neeld just half-way through his three-year contract.

The Demons have called a 10.30am press conference to confirm the long-expected dismissal of the 41-year-old from the club, which ranks only above win-less GWS on the AFL ladder.

The club’s website has reported that former Adelaide coach Neil Craig, its director of sports performance, will be its interim coach for the rest of the season.

The move comes after the beleaguered club had its bye at the weekend and just three days after president Don McLardy resigned following the preliminary request to the AFL Commission for significant financial assistance in its overhaul.

Advertisement It is also a fortnight after he made made a presentation at a board meeting at which he was expected to be sacked but was not, although the board confirmed only that it would ‘‘make no further comment at this time in relation to the senior coach position’’.

Of the 33 matches Neeld coached the Demons, since his appointment at the end of 2011, they won only five matches.

Neeld’s departure has mean there has been a complete overhaul of the Demons’ leadership triumvirate since the start of the season. In addition to McLardy’s resignation chief executive Cameron Schwab was, like Neeld, sacked despite being under contract.

It has been speculated the early dismissal of Neeld, who succeeded Dean Bailey as coach of the Demons, could cost the club about $600,000 to pay out his contract.
    And to think we were being compared to Melbourne just a month ago...
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Neeld Sacked

Really feel for the guy, he was always facing an uphill battle.

Should we be showing some interest in acquiring his services as an assistant?

Post Thanks / Like

Let's be honest, he didn't have a hell of a lot to work with player wise. Melbourne probably have the worst list in the AFL...not really thru his fault. Feel for the guy.
    I will never see #16 the same!!

Post Thanks / Like

I’m not a fan of sacking coaches during the season.
    Sure – the side will probably show a bit at times between now and the end of the year –it usually happens with a new/temporary coach. But you end up just being a bit of a directionless rabble and wasting 11 games.
    Unless the players were very unhappy – I don’t think there is a great deal of virtue in sacking a bloke half way through a year and having to pay him out for 1.5 years.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ozza View Post
    I’m not a fan of sacking coaches during the season.
    Sure – the side will probably show a bit at times between now and the end of the year –it usually happens with a new/temporary coach. But you end up just being a bit of a directionless rabble and wasting 11 games.
    Unless the players were very unhappy – I don’t think there is a great deal of virtue in sacking a bloke half way through a year and having to pay him out for 1.5 years.
    Unless the fans are staying away because of their ongoing struggle under the current coach and the AFL provides the funds with which to pay said former coach out.
    Float Along - Fill Your Lungs

Post Thanks / Like

Some diabolical trading wouldn't have helped him, shades of Vossy at Brissy and Pagan at the Blues, he couldn't have continually dished up those horrific performances and not lost his job.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Griffen#16 View Post
    Really feel for the guy, he was always facing an uphill battle.

Should we be showing some interest in acquiring his services as an assistant?
    I think so ... as an assistant at Collingwood, his services were highly acclaimed and he was sought after by quite a few clubs.
    WOOF Member 422

Post Thanks / Like

Paid out by AFL money, no doubt. They'll probably pay for Roos to take over, too.

And give them priority picks while we have to take our medicine.

The whole thing STINKS!
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

Post Thanks / Like

Personally I hope we do not go near him. Whilst he may have had a dud list to work with his temparament and body language as a coach was plain awful. He managed to lose the playing group along the way and his message fell on deaf ears. Again worring signs for a rookie coach. Seems like chalk and cheese when comparing styles with BMac. I doubt he would fit the whole teaching/ educating mantra that seems to be the direction at Whitten Oval so I doubt BMac and co. would even consider him Happy to see him go somewhere else. Am sure he could fill an assistant role for the remainder of his coaching life. Am glad Melbourne pulled the trigger before we had the chance to appoint. Could be a bullet dodged IMO.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hotdog View Post
    . I doubt he would fit the whole teaching/ educating mantra that seems to be the direction at Whitten Oval so I doubt BMac and co. would even consider him
    I don't get this. He's a former teacher, so on the teaching/education thing, he'd be well suited. As to whether he'd be any good at it, we'll, that's up for debate. My concern would be having even more inexperience in the box.
    [B][COLOR="#0000CD"]Our club was born in blood and boots, not in AFL focus groups.[/COLOR][/B]

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by comrade View Post
    Paid out by AFL money, no doubt. They'll probably pay for Roos to take over, too.

And give them priority picks while we have to take our medicine.

The whole thing STINKS!
    Agreed - definitely not a level playing field.

Post Thanks / Like

Worsfold will coach Melbourne next year.

Scott Burns will takeover at the Weagles.

Post Thanks / Like

Poor Neeld sounded almost relieved at the presser today. He must have been living with this over his head for quite a while.

Post Thanks / Like

Nobody would be shocked by this.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Hot_Doggies View Post
    Worsfold will coach Melbourne next year.

Scott Burns will takeover at the Weagles.
    That's if woosha can drag himself away from his distance running.