Thanks Thanks:  15
Likes Likes:  95
Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: AFL 360 - A Running Commentary

Quote Originally Posted by angelopetraglia View Post
    I hope Melbourne is taking in all this media hype. Hopefully they buy into the narrative, all they need to do is turn up and the Premiership Cup will be in their hands for the for the first time since 1964. We are just a passenger in their story. Everyone is barracking for the fairytale story.

Gee whiz. I hope we make a few people eat humble pie on Saturday.
    I'll preface this by saying white supremacists are boorish pieces of shit, in fact, they're too disinteresting to be considered boorish. However, as another poster pointed out a week or so ago this is how I feel about ruining Melbourne's party (providing we don't play silly buggers with the car in the garage):

My mother was telling me about a Melbourne supporting family friend (who funnily enough, was always completely boorish - an absolute twerp) who decided after the first week of finals to get to Tassie and then onto WA after a quarantine period. And I said straight back, good, it'll make the look on his face all the more sour when he realises the premiership dream is slipping through his fingers.

There is not a single Melbourne supporter, media person, or whomever that I have come across who realises just how bad this is going to be for all of them. They thought the pit of their despair was in the midst of them bottoming out over the last couple of decades, or getting flogged in a WA preliminary final and they have no idea how stupid they are for not thinking their despair could or would get worse.

It can always get worse and they're about to find that out.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

2. Likes ratsmac, Yankee Hotel Foxtrot liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    He and Dimma (like Bevo) were saying story telling is better to communicate and hold attentions. Then Clarko offered a time when it failed. He liked the story of a ballerina that came to ice skating and did well. So he’s telling his players this before a game against the Dogs. He sees Hodge & Roughy whispering and the players seem uninterested and Chinese whispers start. Clarko has a video presentation of it. He turns his back on the players to watch the video. What the whispers were was that it sucked and when Clarko turned, they would give him a very, very enthusiastic standing ovation. Which they did with chirps about how amazing the story was. Which led to Clarko telling them all to get stuffed. It made him laugh, and doesn’t take himself too seriously all the time.

Not even premiership coaches are spared the ridicule of their own players when the situation calls for it.
    I read a book a couple of weeks ago that said that it was Alan Jeans who first hit on the idea of telling his players stories in between his time as St Kilda and Hawthorn coach. He noticed that if he just imparted lots of information the players would stop listening or forget what they'd been told whereas if he told a story with a key message involved in it then the players would be more likely to listen right to the end and retain the information as well.

His best known story being the one about the boy and the shoes at half time in the 1989 GF.
    Have you been reading those Roddy Doyle books again, Dougal!?

I have, yeah Ted, you big gobshite

Post Thanks / Like

I think in 2016 the media narrative was how good for football would it be if the bulldogs won. But when it came time to actually selecting who would win I would guess it would by 90%+tipping the Swans and punters like Kiss of Death or ex Bulldog players who would pick us.

The difference this year is the media narrative is wanting the demons to win.

Am I pissed we are seen in a negative light and we have had our performances undersold - yes.

I am now questioning our credentials or ability to win - Hell No!!

#BeMoreBulldog
    More of an In Bruges guy?

5. Thanks jeemak thanked for this post
    Likes GVGjr, Grantysghost liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I don’t mind the media going full Melbourne fanboi, we had the same in 2016 but it’s the downplaying of our strengths and performances that **** me. Riewoldt praising Aliir and telling Melbourne fans not to be spooked by Schache was the straw that broke the camels back. No one is saying ‘hey dogs fans, don’t worry too much about Gawn because he was matched up against renown spud Rhys Stanley’.
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by comrade View Post
    I don’t mind the media going full Melbourne fanboi, we had the same in 2016 but it’s the downplaying of our strengths and performances that **** me. Riewoldt praising Aliir and telling Melbourne fans not to be spooked by Schache was the straw that broke the camels back. No one is saying ‘hey dogs fans, don’t worry too much about Gawn because he was matched up against renown spud Rhys Stanley’.
    The dis-crediting of our performance really shits me... we were awesome and for every Port fumble there was a Bulldogs player being clean, efficient & clinical. Sides don't win PF's by 70pts in enemy territory.. they just don't.
    Last edited by Mantis; 21-09-2021 at 09:08 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

This all feeds into our narrative of Us vs The World. Makes it even stronger. While risk of subconscious complacency for them grows by the day. We’ve been the underdogs in the media in all four games. Yet we’re 3 from 3. So bring on the the fourth final this week.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mantis View Post
    The dis-crediting of our performance really shits me... we were awesome and for every Port fumble there was a Bulldogs player being clean, efficient & clinical. Sides don't PF's by 70pts in enemy territory.. they just don't.
    So true the Lions and Port wins are as good as the club has ever delivered outside of flags considering the scenario.

The Tigers had the same proposition last year and lost to the Lions and just beat Port.

I honestly believe if we win the narrative will swing a full 180 and they’ll be speaking in terms of greatest flag ever.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    This all feeds into our narrative of Us vs The World. Makes it even stronger. While risk of subconscious complacency for them grows by the day. We’ve been the underdogs in the media in all four games. Yet we’re 3 from 3. So bring on the the fourth final this week.
    I'm picturing Bevo asking for all the publications and TV shows showing who picked Melbourne and who picked the Dogs and having it plastered in a section of the dressing rooms.

#BeMoreBulldog
    More of an In Bruges guy?

11. Likes bulldogtragic liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mantis View Post
    The dis-crediting of our performance really shits me... we were awesome and for every Port fumble there was a Bulldogs player being clean, efficient & clinical. Sides don't PF's by 70pts in enemy territory.. they just don't.
    The consistent downplaying of our performances is really really odd. I don’t get it.

Post Thanks / Like

Imagine how good we’ll be having not been locked up for a week.

People are already forgetting just how BAD our off field circumstances have been in the lead up to our finals so far. The boys will now be much more mentally fresh… let alone physically due to not being locked up.

That in itself is like getting another gun player back for us compared to last match.

Look out.

Post Thanks / Like

After nervously tuning into watch The Couch for the first time in ages last Monday week, and being repeatedly told by Garry 'don't worry we'll get to the Bulldogs in a bit....' then never actually doing it. and then casually glancing at footy media online... I have form about mid last week instituted a 100% shut out of football media.. What I', reading here affirms my decision to give it all a swerve.

Disappointed but not at all surprised. I don't just hope we win this Saturday, I hope we absolutely destroy them.

I hope Oliver, Petracca and co are lapping up the media narrative.. and enter the arena on Saturday with the smarmy faces of the entitled... and I hope their hubris smacks them right between the eyes.

15. Likes jeemak liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Grantysghost View Post
    My tip for all of your sanity is just don’t watch/listen/read AFL media.

It’s complete garbage world worst stuff; none of your lives can be made any better by consuming it.
    True that.
    The truth will set you free,
    but first it will piss you off. ... Gloria Steinem.

17. Likes Grantysghost liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I actually like OTC because I’m a stupid idiot but wow that episode last night was trash. Brown’s segment on how we could win somehow involved a 5 minute Max Big Maxy Gawn interview and was generally just about how do we stop the crushing might of the Melbourne midfield. Riewoldt’s comment on Melbourne not having to worry about Schache was really weird, but his broadside about Melbourne’s midfield being better without any context or follow up was pub level chat.

Also don’t worry guys, Jonesy is bringing the beers on Saturday (this was an actual thing they said). Happy for him getting some practice on the couch though, he’ll need it for the weekend.
    - I'm a visionary - Only here to confirm my biases -

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Happy Days View Post
    I actually like OTC because I’m a stupid idiot but wow that episode last night was trash. Brown’s segment on how we could win somehow involved a 5 minute Max Big Maxy Gawn interview and was generally just about how do we stop the crushing might of the Melbourne midfield. Riewoldt’s comment on Melbourne not having to worry about Schache was really weird, but his broadside about Melbourne’s midfield being better without any context or follow up was pub level chat.

Also don’t worry guys, Jonesy is bringing the beers on Saturday (this was an actual thing they said). Happy for him getting some practice on the couch though, he’ll need it for the weekend.
    It was also funny when they put up the graphic of our changes from the Rd 19 game which obviously wasn't part of any pre-show analysis, because when Browny saw it on the screen he let out a kind of shocked 'yeah, look at those changes, they're big' before moving on to the next part of his ramble about getting physical with big Maxy.
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

20. Thanks Topdog thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by comrade View Post
    It was also funny when they put up the graphic of our changes from the Rd 19 game which obviously wasn't part of any pre-show analysis, because when Browny saw it on the screen he let out a kind of shocked 'yeah, look at those changes, they're big' before moving on to the next part of his ramble about getting physical with big Maxy.
    I'm yet to hear any media outlet raise as an advantage to us the fact that Dunks & Treloar haven't yet played in either clash with Melb this year. I understand that Big Stef Gardner and Wood would not draw the same reactions, even though Stef has a very important role to play, but Dunks & Treloar are bona fide ''A'' graders who help our chances immensely... but hey, we only won in Rd 19 cause it rained.

22. Likes Bulldog4life, Sedat liked this post