14 22.95%
  • Footscray Bulldogs

47 77.05%
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread: VFL Team Name

Post Thanks / Like

VFL Team Name

Link to Vote at Western Bulldogs website

The Western Bulldogs are asking our dedicated members to provide feedback on their preferred name for the Club’s new VFL team which will take to the field in 2014.

Club President, Peter Gordon said a strong case could be made for both names of the VFL team - underpinned by history and the Club’s connection to Melbourne’s Western fringe.

“We want to hear from our members what they think is the best name for our VFL team in 2014 – a team that will see the development of our emerging stars well into the future,” Gordon said.

“I know that to many members Footscray is a name that is close to your hearts – while there is a whole generation that has only known, and will embrace, the Western Bulldogs”.

“Either way – we want to know your views.

“We will take your feedback on board when finalising the name for our VFL team - just like we did when we changed our match day jumper in 2012”.

The Western Bulldogs Board of Directors will consider the feedback and make a final determination on the name of the VFL team next month.
    Last edited by bornadog; 18-06-2013 at 12:35 PM.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: VFL Team Name

I voted Western Bulldogs. As mentioned in the article there is a whole generation that only knows Western Bulldogs as the name of their team. Those born in 1997 are now 16 and are the future, not us old farts with distant memories.

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

I voted Western Bulldogs too, but I changed my mind four times before I hit send! I can honestly see the arguments for both sides but at the end of the day I voted for consistency of identification. Would be great to see a Western Bulldogs side tearing it up in the VFL and AFL at the same time.

Post Thanks / Like

Going by twitter/facebook feedback, support for the Footscray name in the VFL is overwhelming.

FWIW I also voted for Footscray - I've no interest in changing the name of the AFL side, but feel it makes sense for the VFL side to embrace the history.
    Float Along - Fill Your Lungs

Post Thanks / Like

Granted you're ancient Bornadog and don't have long left, but some of us have plenty of seasons left in us.

If all but the post 1997'ers pulled out - 'who are the future' - then the club would be on it's heels big time.

It's a totally different league. There's Willy and Werribee in our area. The Footscray has romance and memories for many of us. The kids can have the Western Bulldogs name, how about those of us who're old enough to remember saving the club have Footscray back, hopefully even at the Whitten Oval.

nagoyadog Guest

Voted Footscray (on the club's website. Can't vote here for some reason). Can't wait to watch footy at the WO again and shout carn Footscray! Don't care about the feelings of " people who have only known WB".

Post Thanks / Like

Not fussed either way, but would love to see the name Footscray used again.
    The curse is dead.

Post Thanks / Like

I voted for Footscray Bulldogs. The younger generation will soon learn that the VFL Footscray Bulldogs are the feeder side to the AFL Western Bulldogs. It is a perfect time to embrace the rich history of our great Club and show the younger members of our Club where the Western Bulldogs originated from.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by M.R.M View Post
    Granted you're ancient Bornadog and don't have long left, but some of us have plenty of seasons left in us.

If all but the post 1997'ers pulled out - 'who are the future' - then the club would be on it's heels big time.

It's a totally different league. There's Willy and Werribee in our area. The Footscray has romance and memories for many of us. The kids can have the Western Bulldogs name, how about those of us who're old enough to remember saving the club have Footscray back, hopefully even at the Whitten Oval.
    If you think being in my 50's is ancient, fair enough .

I have moved on from the Footscray name, but at the end of the day will follow the team whatever its called, as long as we are never moved or merged.

Post Thanks / Like

Western Bulldogs for mine. I think it is important to emphasise the link between the VFL and AFL side.
    Wake me up when we get to heaven, let me sleep if we're going to hell

Good luck, for your sake I hope heaven and hell are really there, but I wouldn't hold my breath

And we all found heaven - 2016 Premiers!

Post Thanks / Like

I voted Western Bulldogs. I think we need to be consistent. I agree there's a lot of history in the Footscray name, I just feel you can't go back. That said, I think the VFL side will take on the Footscray name.
    [B][COLOR="#0000CD"]Our club was born in blood and boots, not in AFL focus groups.[/COLOR][/B]

Post Thanks / Like

Voted Footscray. Would be a fantastic way to remember the past and continue to embrace our history

Post Thanks / Like

I've always known us as the Western Bulldogs, so I voted for that. In the end, it really doesn't bother me what VFL team name is though.

Post Thanks / Like

Footscray.

I don't think the reserves team really will make a difference to the number of supporters we have. Did anything change when we went from Weribee to Willi with alliance? The benefit is in being able to pull the strings which will, in theory, develop players better and more quickly, and make us a stronger club on the field as a result.

So having said that, I don't think the name really matters - so why not give a bit of nostalgia to the old timers who know the Footscray name?

Post Thanks / Like

If the supporters have their way, Footscray will win by the length of the Flemington straight.

I must admit, I like the romance of watching Footscray play competitive football at Whitten Oval.
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.