14 22.95%
  • Footscray Bulldogs

47 77.05%
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: VFL Team Name

Post Thanks / Like

Re: VFL Team Name

Quote Originally Posted by Greystache View Post
    I like the third one actually. maybe change the collar though.
    Actually that one was worn in 1935.The first one was 1886 and the second one was 1894

This is the original jumper from 1874. It was worn with a red cap

FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

In 1901 we went to this which is close to today's jumper.

FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Scraggers View Post
    Do you think we could also convince them to play in the 80s tri-striped jumper?
    Doesn't bother me what they do.
    Relieved we're getting our own team.

Post Thanks / Like

I love this jumper
    WOOF Member 422

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    In 1901 we went to this which is close to today's jumper.

Yeah we could just go with the same strip we have in the AFL for the VFL team.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    Can someone with a link to a rlevant club person email them with these results?
    Posters should actually vote in the offical poll on the club website.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by azabob View Post
    I have done ... I wonder if this poll reflects the club's poll. If so, it will be Footscray.
    WOOF Member 422

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by azabob View Post
    I'm sure we all have. But I thought WOOF is wider than just members and is a cross section of our followers, and might be somewhat persuasive. I'd email, but I only have Cam Rose email.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

Western Bulldogs for consistency. We're nothing like just Footscray any more, and neither should we be.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by metal View Post
    Western Bulldogs for consistency. We're nothing like just Footscray any more, and neither should we be.
    First point is reasonable and makes sense to me, though I hold a different opinion. Could you clarify the second point? I'm not sure if I've understood correctly but:

We are the Footscray Football Club, have a home base at the Whitten Oval, wear the same jumper, represent the Western suburbs of Melbourne and identify currently as the Bulldogs.

That seems exactly how it should be to me.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SonofScray View Post
    First point is reasonable and makes sense to me, though I hold a different opinion. Could you clarify the second point? I'm not sure if I've understood correctly but:

We are the Footscray Football Club, have a home base at the Whitten Oval, wear the same jumper, represent the Western suburbs of Melbourne and identify currently as the Bulldogs.

That seems exactly how it should be to me.
    Someone please correct me, but last I knew we are the Footscray Football Club Trading As Western Bulldogs Football Club. WBFC is just the trading name.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    Someone please correct me, but last I knew we are the Footscray Football Club Trading As Western Bulldogs Football Club. WBFC is just the trading name.
    Yes that's correct. We are FFC trading as WBFC.

Post Thanks / Like

Sorry but I wasn't being technical. For me, as a person who has never lived in Footscray, and who has no allegiance to the community of Footscray per se, the appeal then is to the wider area of the western suburbs. The Western Bulldogs just sounds grander and more marketable to me.

I do, however, understand that those who have a close affiliation with Footscray as a suburb, as a people, as a culture, may want to continue that history through a football club name that they have been involved with previously.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by metal View Post
    Sorry but I wasn't being technical. For me, as a person who has never lived in Footscray, and who has no allegiance to the community of Footscray per se, the appeal then is to the wider area of the western suburbs. The Western Bulldogs just sounds grander and more marketable to me.

I do, however, understand that those who have a close affiliation with Footscray as a suburb, as a people, as a culture, may want to continue that history through a football club name that they have been involved with previously.
    I myself live out in the eastern suburbs and have never lived in Footscray either but the argument is that going back to Footscray goes back to the roots of where our club originated and that for a VFL team name its appropriate as it is a suburban competition.

Post Thanks / Like

Just a little poll snapshot:

Western Bulldogs 16 25.40%
    Footscray Bulldogs 47 74.60%