Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Do you have a second team?

How do you define "a second team"?

One you follow closely, or that you like to watch and see win?

Or just a faint preference vs other teams?

Or perhaps for the interstate Woofers here, one that's on TV every week whether you like it or not?
    The fight is here; I need ammunition, not a ride.

Post Thanks / Like

Williamstown are my second or other team, all other AFL sides mean nothing to me, going to be interesting next year in the VFL though!

Post Thanks / Like

Although it's the Dogs by daylight for me, I love the opportunity to run the judgmental ruler over other clubs. I don't have an outright favourite, but I do have tiered clusters from most liked to least liked. Formed since childhood..

Group 1:
    Swans - Barry Round was a favorite as a kid and always a fellow struggler. Happy their supporters saw some success as they did it tougher than any for a long time
    North - always an anti-Essendon ally. Also punched above their weight as a club - which I respected
    Geelong - country club and lacked success when I was a kid. Didn't seem overly cocky, growing up
    Fitzroy - honest, no frills struggling club. Bernie Q was a favourite. Became hatred in '89, but tempered since

Group 2 - neutrals:
    Hawthorn - other side of town, but were the good guys in my mind 2, 3 or 4 times a year vs Essendon. Size and arrogance has crept in over past decade, though.
    Richmond - Poorly run. Squandered powerhouse. Amy Winehouse of AFL when i was growing up
    Melbourne - Switzerland of AFL. Don't like 'em, don't hate 'em. They're just there.. And that's their biggest problem

Group 3 - disdain:
    Brisbane - absorbed Fitzroy and were gifted the world by Oakley & co
    St Kilda - just an awful club. 26 spoons and countless court appearances. Felt they were a joke whilst growing up and a disgrace as an adult
    Adelaide - 1997
    West Coast - Upstarts
    Freo - Upstarts
    GWS - Upstarts
    Gold Coast - Upstarts

Group 4 - extreme disdain:
    Carlton - arrogant cheats
    Collingwood - are Collingwood

Group 5 - irrational hatred:
    Essendon

Post Thanks / Like

Each week I barrack for the teams that I have picked in the footy tipping comp.

In the finals if the doggies aren't playing I barrack for any interstate team to win. My rational thinking is that if I can't be happy I don't want any other supporters of a Victorian team to be happy. Or should that be irrational!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Webby View Post
    Although it's the Dogs by daylight for me, I love the opportunity
    Richmond - Poorly run. Squandered powerhouse. Amy Winehouse of AFL when i was growing up
    Melbourne - Switzerland of AFL. Don't like 'em, don't hate 'em. They're just there.. And that's their biggest problem

Group 3 - disdain:
    Brisbane - absorbed Fitzroy and were gifted the world by Oakley & co
    St Kilda - just an awful club. 26 spoons and countless court appearances. Felt they were a joke whilst growing up and a disgrace as an adult
    Post of the month. Very funny read
    You don't develop courage by being happy in your relationships every day. You develop it by surviving difficult times and challenging adversity. ― Epicurus

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog4life View Post
    Each week I barrack for the teams that I have picked in the footy tipping comp.

In the finals if the doggies aren't playing I barrack for any interstate team to win. My rational thinking is that if I can't be happy I don't want any other supporters of a Victorian team to be happy. Or should that be irrational!

Sounds perfectly rational to me.
    They say Burt Lancaster has one, but I don't believe them.

Post Thanks / Like

My second team each week is whoever is playing the cows. Everything about that club grates against my soul. So many reasons, so many knobs from fans to players to media.

Central districts bulldogs were my first team until I discovered the VFL. Platten was my hero as a kid and I watched most of the hawthorn games back then. If anything they would be the side I dislike the least. Clarko is another connection to Centrals and the long awaited premiership.

Post Thanks / Like

I certainly don't have a second team - but if the Bulldogs were to fold tomorrow - my kids would follow their Mum's team, Geelong, and I guess I would end up following them.

Geelong and Sydney are the most inoffensive of the other clubs in the league.

Essendon, Carlton, St.Kilda, Hawthorn, North Melbourne, Collingwood are clearly at the other end of the scale.