Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Jobe Watson admits he 'may' have taken AOD 9604

Spoke "On the Couch", and admitted he may have been administered the banned substance.

"I signed that consent form and my understanding, after it being given through (club doctor) Bruce Reid and the club, that I was receiving AOD," he said.

"(I thought) that it was legal at the time and that was actually what I was told I was being given."

http://www.sportal.com.au/afl-news-d...mission-240871
    Prepare for the excrement to collide with the cooling device...The "I didn't believe it was wrong" defence won't wash....
    Last edited by AndrewP6; 25-06-2013 at 12:41 AM.
    [B][COLOR="#0000CD"]Our club was born in blood and boots, not in AFL focus groups.[/COLOR][/B]

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Jobe Watson admits he 'may' have taken AOD 9604

What stinks (more than the allegations) is the fact that if he and the club are found guilty, he will be allowed to retain his Brownlow.
    WOOF Member 422

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Scraggers View Post
    What stinks (more than the allegations) is the fact that if he and the club are found guilty, he will be allowed to retain his Brownlow.
    What stinks the most is that none of it really matters anymore.

Not sure if you've noticed Scraggers, but the AFL has increasingly become a farce where any integrity issues that affect the commercial prosperity of the competition get drawn out and ultimately have little impact on the immediate future of the game's governance.

Let's think about a few issues here:

- Foulau leaving GWS (and the money wasted on him, for little impact when clubs are struggling)

- Development clubs becoming money pits

- Melbourne tanking

- Essendon's potential drug cheating

- Gambling

- Racial tolerance

- Silence over Milne's rape allegations

- The draw (fixture)

- Melbourne's dire state (not acted upon because of the need for media related revenues)

- Stadium deals

- Equalisation

None of these issues are being addressed in a serious manner by the body that is supposed to govern the code, and each pose a significant threat to the leagues values or show a direct reflection of the leagues governance practices.

The game stinks right now. Seriously. The bubble is bursting for the AFL and the sooner everyone realises it the better, as it will mean a fresh start after the fact.

The Essendon drug scandal cannot paint a better picture of how bad things have gotten for the AFL, The current commission, and executive have been completely irresponsible over the course of the last year or so in determining how the game should be managed, and the result has been continual spot fires denigrating the good things the game actually does.

Post Thanks / Like

All I have to say is that Acker had a point.........

Post Thanks / Like

For once I actually disagree with you Jeemak ... It does matter !! It matters to me, and I bet it matters to you too.

I love this game, and what has happened to it over the last ten or so years is nothing short of disgraceful. But the only person / people to blame is you, me, the average supporter.

We have let this happen to our game. We have just sat back and let it happen ... And how?? We have voted with our feet ... we have agreed with everything the heirarchy have done!! By raising attendance to games by over 15% in the last six years; by increasing viewing on FTA and paid TV, and therefore tripling the value of TV rights; by increased viewing of online media.

It's our fault !!!

How do we rectify this situation?? Do we wait for it to implode or explode?? Do we wait for it to morph into a sport we no longer find entertaining?? (Some would say that both of this options have already occurred.) Or do we again vote with our feet ??

I don't know the answer ... But I do know it matters ... It matters to me.
    WOOF Member 422

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by AndrewP6 View Post
    Spoke "On the Couch", and admitted he may have been administered the banned substance.

"I signed that consent form and my understanding, after it being given through (club doctor) Bruce Reid and the club, that I was receiving AOD," he said.

"(I thought) that it was legal at the time and that was actually what I was told I was being given."

http://www.sportal.com.au/afl-news-d...mission-240871
    Prepare for the excrement to collide with the cooling device...The "I didn't believe it was wrong" defence won't wash....
    Wow! Nearly drove off the road when I heard that.
    They've usually straight batted everything .
    All I'll say is if it was a no name sportsperson who took a banned substance on the advice of their coach that it was kosha, the world wouldn't batter an eyelid and demand both coach and player were suspended. However an AFL club with emotional ties

Post Thanks / Like

There is no choice, the rules are clear, banned substances are just that, banned!!.
    Ignorance of the law is no excuse, throw the book at Jobe and all the other Essendon players that took the drugs, strip him of his Brownlow.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Looks like the fix is in and the players won't suffer the consequences for their ignorance as they should. It's a huge cop out by the AFL and ASADA if that's what happens. To be honest I'm not surprised but it's getting harder and harder to take this competition seriously.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Griffen#16 View Post
    Looks like the fix is in and the players won't suffer the consequences for their ignorance as they should. It's a huge cop out by the AFL and ASADA if that's what happens. To be honest I'm not surprised but it's getting harder and harder to take this competition seriously.
    Lance Armstrong says hello

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Scraggers View Post
    For once I actually disagree with you Jeemak ... It does matter !! It matters to me, and I bet it matters to you too.

I love this game, and what has happened to it over the last ten or so years is nothing short of disgraceful. But the only person / people to blame is you, me, the average supporter.

We have let this happen to our game. We have just sat back and let it happen ... And how?? We have voted with our feet ... we have agreed with everything the heirarchy have done!! By raising attendance to games by over 15% in the last six years; by increasing viewing on FTA and paid TV, and therefore tripling the value of TV rights; by increased viewing of online media.

It's our fault !!!

How do we rectify this situation?? Do we wait for it to implode or explode?? Do we wait for it to morph into a sport we no longer find entertaining?? (Some would say that both of this options have already occurred.) Or do we again vote with our feet ??

I don't know the answer ... But I do know it matters ... It matters to me.
    Mate, I hear you in some respects but on the other hand I have voted with my feet. I don't pay anything other than passing attention to the competition most weeks, with the Bulldogs being an exception.

Much of the AFL's popularity can be explained through population growth and a serious lack of a viable alternative for people to enjoy instead of it. I'm happy for them to beat their chests about attendance figures, as the more they do brings us closer to the game going completely up it's own arse which is what's required before it actually gets better.

I love the game like you, and just as much as the next guy. Unfortunately this game we love has worked itself in to a frenzy whereby administrators think an uneven draw is good for the game, attendances mean more than integrity, commercial branding considerations should override the needs of major individual stakeholders and rules can be changed from year to year to satisfy the perversion of a vocal minority.

Scraggers, I care. But this game *!*!*!*!ing stinks.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post
    Mate, I hear you in some respects but on the other hand I have voted with my feet. I don't pay anything other than passing attention to the competition most weeks, with the Bulldogs being an exception.

Much of the AFL's popularity can be explained through population growth and a serious lack of a viable alternative for people to enjoy instead of it. I'm happy for them to beat their chests about attendance figures, as the more they do brings us closer to the game going completely up it's own arse which is what's required before it actually gets better.

I love the game like you, and just as much as the next guy. Unfortunately this game we love has worked itself in to a frenzy whereby administrators think an uneven draw is good for the game, attendances mean more than integrity, commercial branding considerations should override the needs of major individual stakeholders and rules can be changed from year to year to satisfy the perversion of a vocal minority.

The fans are voting with their feet, attendance was down last year almost a million, and I bet its down this year as well.

Post Thanks / Like

Agree 100%
    WOOF Member 422

Post Thanks / Like

Why do we all think the AFL won't act on this? This is pretty hard to gloss over and really has a National reach now.
    But then again, I'm an Internet poster and Bevo is a premiership coach so draw your own conclusions.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 1eyedog View Post
    Why do we all think the AFL won't act on this? This is pretty hard to gloss over and really has a National reach now.
    See my rant above.

Post Thanks / Like

See my rant above.
    I read the post and it was very good, but surely ASADA as the regulatory body has a say in this otherwise the whole system 'surely more than just the AFL' will look like a joke. I realise ASADA are terribly under-resourced for this but aren't they also subject to WADA guidelines for this stuff? This after all goes well beyond our own backyard.

They do not want to set a bad example here because this will potentially have repercussions for Australian sport and how consumers view Australian sport forever.
    But then again, I'm an Internet poster and Bevo is a premiership coach so draw your own conclusions.