Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Jobe Watson admits he 'may' have taken AOD 9604

Quote Originally Posted by 1eyedog View Post
    They do not want to set a bad example here because this will potentially have repercussions for Australian sport and how consumers view Australian sport forever.
    Absolutely. Can't see this one getting swept under the rug at all, not when outside agencies are involved. Throw the book at him, I say, and anyone else found guilty of similar transgressions.
    [B][COLOR="#0000CD"]Our club was born in blood and boots, not in AFL focus groups.[/COLOR][/B]

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you for the positive feedback on my rant.

I guess I'm not confident that without complete evidence, admissions from stakeholders and zero interference from the AFL, these allegations will be under played.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 1eyedog View Post
    I read the post and it was very good, but surely ASADA as the regulatory body has a say in this otherwise the whole system 'surely more than just the AFL' will look like a joke. I realise ASADA are terribly under-resourced for this but aren't they also subject to WADA guidelines for this stuff? This after all goes well beyond our own backyard.

They do not want to set a bad example here because this will potentially have repercussions for Australian sport and how consumers view Australian sport forever.
    This is the one case were my understanding (or perception perhaps) is that the AFL will have no choice in the penalties handed down.

I've seen nothing in the media to support Essendon's contention that there was any grey area in relation to AOD - the emails from Dank seem to suggest he almost willingly misinterpreted the response.

All to play out, but even a cynic like me thinks this will end badly for the Dons
    Float Along - Fill Your Lungs

Post Thanks / Like

Wouldn't be surprised if Jobe's lawyers have told him to get on the front foot with this and fess up in order to minimise the damage for him later.
    But then again, I'm an Internet poster and Bevo is a premiership coach so draw your own conclusions.

Post Thanks / Like

It's a strict liability offence. That means there is no get out. Ignorance is not a sufficient defence. I don't know what Jobe Watson thinks he's doing, he seems pretty blase about the consequences of this admission, but I can't see how he (or any of the other players affected) can get off the hook if this is true.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Murphy'sLore View Post
    It's a strict liability offence. That means there is no get out. Ignorance is not a sufficient defence. I don't know what Jobe Watson thinks he's doing, he seems pretty blase about the consequences of this admission, but I can't see how he (or any of the other players affected) can get off the hook if this is true.
    Yes but as the article states...'but a reduction in a ban is only possible in specific circumstances where an athlete has been co-operative'.

I think this is the best hope that Jobe and who knows how many other players/officials can hope for.
    But then again, I'm an Internet poster and Bevo is a premiership coach so draw your own conclusions.

Post Thanks / Like

The AFL is very concerned that Essendon make it to the grand final.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

If it was up to the AFL they would all dance away laughing after a 'tut-tut, naughty boys, don't do it again' and a light slap on the wrist, but the involvement of other agencies surely complicates things. Even if they are co-operative, that only serves to possibly reduce the penalty, not wipe it completely.

Though the way Essendon are behaving, they seem pretty confident they're going to escape any meaningful penalty. Wonder if the AFL have given them any guarantees?

Post Thanks / Like

If it was up to the AFL they would all dance away laughing after a 'tut-tut, naughty boys, don't do it again' and a light slap on the wrist, but the involvement of other agencies surely complicates things. Even if they are co-operative, that only serves to possibly reduce the penalty, not wipe it completely.

Though the way Essendon are behaving, they seem pretty confident they're going to escape any meaningful penalty. Wonder if the AFL have given them any guarantees?
    Yes, I would be flabberghasted though if this soon becomes too hot for the AFL and it gets out of their control.

Interesting notion for Vlad.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    The AFL is very concerned that Essendon make it to the grand final.

Hopefully for the AFL there is enough supporting documentation for them to strip all points off Essendon prior to the Finals series. Otherwise, if the investigations continue well into the Finals series and beyond, and Essendon do happen to win the GF then the AFL will need to do similar to what the NRL did with Melbourne and strip them of their Flag.

Either way there has to be some serious penalties imposed on the EFC and their players, otherwise the AFL will set a precedent in regards to the use of performance enhancing substances.

Post Thanks / Like

Obviously Jobe didnt read this article before talking. This article is a "must read", in my opinion.

http://www.abc.net.au/unleashed/4752230.html

And the AFL dont have the power to set the penalties.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Throughandthrough View Post
    Obviously Jobe didnt read this article before talking. This article is a "must read", in my opinion.

Whoa! Bendigo to play in the GF!

Post Thanks / Like

I really don't think, with the governance that WADA/ASADA have, that the AFL can do anything. I think they're bound by the regulations set out by those agencies.
    [B][COLOR="#0000CD"]Our club was born in blood and boots, not in AFL focus groups.[/COLOR][/B]

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Throughandthrough View Post

They certainly don't in regards to the banning of players, however they do have the ability to impose other penalties on Essendon eg. Stripping the club of points and financial penalties for bringing the game into disripute.

It would be interesting to know what, if any, penalties WADA/ ASADA can impose on Essendon or can they only impose penalties on an individual?

Post Thanks / Like

They will just fine Edon three million and give it to Melbourne. Do the same with their draft picks and problem solved!