Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 8 12345678 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Clubs circle Bulldogs star Cooney

RIVAL clubs are showing growing interest in Adam Cooney as the restricted free agent and the Western Bulldogs remain some way off finalising a new deal.

AFL.com.au revealed in May that the Bulldogs and Cooney had deferred serious contract negotiations until later in the year despite the 27-year-old's impressive start to the season.

Discussions between the Bulldogs and Cooney remain ongoing and amicable, but the parties are not close to signing a new contract.

AFL.com.au understands Cooney remains more likely to stay at the Whitten Oval than leave, but opposition interest in the 2008 Brownlow medallist continues to grow the longer he remains fit and in form.

"Cooney is clearly one of the biggest talents in this year's free agency pool and is one free agent you sense could leave, but any club looking at him has to be prepared to take a risk," one industry insider told AFL.com.au.

Cooney would have attracted huge offers several years ago, but his degenerative right knee will be a massive consideration for clubs considering making a play for him ahead of October's free agency period.

He entered this year on the back of two injury-plagued seasons when his knee limited him to 27 games and made him a shadow of the player he was in 2008.

But post-season treatment in Germany, which involved taking blood from his arm, separating and incubating its growth cells and injecting them into his knee, has helped Cooney train harder and perform better than he has in years.

In 12 games this season, Cooney is averaging more than 23 possessions – his best return since 2010 – and has kicked 13 goals in a new role across half-back.

Cooney missed rounds nine and 10 with a hamstring injury, but has made a strong return in the past four rounds, racking up 26 possessions last Saturday in the Bulldogs' nail-biting win over Greater Western Sydney at Canberra's StarTrack Oval.

The Bulldog star signed his existing contract in May 2010 for a reported $550,000-$600,000 a season. At that time, Gold Coast had approached Cooney to be part of its inaugural list and the right patella he cracked in the 2008 finals series had not yet degenerated to the extent of 2011-12.

Cooney almost certainly faces a hefty pay cut regardless of whether he recommits to the Bulldogs or seeks a fresh start.

The Bulldogs find themselves in a similar position to that St Kilda faced with one of last year's big-name restricted free agents, Brendon Goddard.

St Kilda was compensated with pick No. 13 in last year's national draft for losing Goddard, a selection it included in its trade for Gold Coast ruckman Tom Hickey.

Like St Kilda, the Bulldogs are in a rebuilding phase and will be mindful that under last year's free agency compensation model they will likely receive a second-round pick should Cooney leave.

Based on their current ladder position of 15th, the Bulldogs could expect a pick in the early-mid 20s.

In the event the Bulldogs do not come to terms with Cooney prior to October's free agency period, they can still retain him by matching any opposition offers made then.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Clubs circle Bulldogs star Cooney

mmmm...... I will be mighty pissed off he we lose Cooney.

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Whose behind this story?

The club or Cooney?
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    mmmm...... I will be mighty pissed off he we lose Cooney.
    BAD - well get ready to be pissed off. I said in another thread late last week that I reckon Cooney is gone at years end, just like Lake was.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by azabob View Post
    BAD - well get ready to be pissed off. I said in another thread late last week that I reckon Cooney is gone at years end, just like Lake was.
    What sort of a club are we?

Post Thanks / Like

What if he doesn't want to play for us for what we can offer him?

Do you think we should pay Cooney above the odds just to keep him?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post
    What if he doesn't want to play for us for what we can offer him?

Do you think we should pay Cooney above the odds just to keep him?
    The only reason he wouldn't want to play for the club is mistreatment.

Just like any employee in any organisation. You look after them, you manage them well, they will be loyal.

Post Thanks / Like

Just like any employee in any organisation. You look after them, you manage them well, they will be loyal.
    What if he can get $100-$150K a year extra elsewhere, over 3 years?

BAD, he'd have to seriously look at taking that and that has nothing to do with mistreatment.

Post Thanks / Like

I think you have to 'fall in' behind the coach. Sure Lake was an AA FB, but BMac thought the future needed a move. Picken was 3rd in the B&F and has been moved around. Cooney is a brownlow medallist midfielder, but for whatever reason BMac can't/won't play him here permanently. Gotta have faith this is all for the best. You know, short term pain, long term gain etc tc.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

What about the want to play in a grand final like Lake ??

Cooney is my favourite player ... has been since he first came to the club as a 17 year old; and it would pains me to see him running around in another teams jumper, but he is past his prime. He probably has three or four years left (if managed appropriately). Might be exactly what a team like Essendon or Freo needs to take them that next step. If we can use the situation to further our cause then I'm (begrudgingly) for it.
    WOOF Member 422

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Scraggers View Post
    What about the want to play in a grand final like Lake ??

Cooney is my favourite player ... has been since he first came to the club as a 17 year old; and it would pains me to see him running around in another teams jumper, but he is past his prime. He probably has three or four years left (if managed appropriately). Might be exactly what a team like Essendon or Freo needs to take them that next step. If we can use the situation to further our cause then I'm (begrudgingly) for it.
    Lake left because he wasn't wanted, the club pushed him out, or I should say the coach. He just said he wanted to play in a grand final to save face.

Post Thanks / Like

Hope we aren't becoming a feeder club.
    The curse is dead.

Post Thanks / Like

Lake left because he wasn't wanted, the club pushed him out, or I should say the coach. He just said he wanted to play in a grand final to save face.
    Or he spent 2012 trying to get his market currency up so he could move to a new club on a decent contract in 2013 after the disgraceful way he was treated by the previous coaching group while injured in 2011.

But yeah, it must be all McCartney's fault.

Post Thanks / Like

Cooney is a restricted free agent.

My understanding of that means that he can field offers, but if we match the offer he stays with us. St Kilda let Goddard go because they did not want to match the offer.

Cooney only goes if someone is prepared to pay what our team considers overs. We may actually be well placed if he goes, depending on the compensation pick given.
    Life is to be Enjoyed not Endured

Post Thanks / Like

Really?

Macca was pretty keen on him being our FF wasn't he?

No doubt in my mind that Lake left to chase a flag and I can't blame him for that as he gave us great service.
    The curse is dead.