Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Clubs circle Bulldogs star Cooney

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    The only reason he wouldn't want to play for the club is mistreatment.

Just like any employee in any organisation. You look after them, you manage them well, they will be loyal.
    That's rubbish. Did Ward and Harbrow leave because they were mistreated?

It's well known that he's a massive fan of the folding stuff and given he's not going to play in a premiership with us, why not go somewhere else that can pay him more and give him a shot at a flag. He's giving us very little on field; sure, point to the 26 touches per game but don't forget to include the missed tackles, non-chases and general ad body language.

But yes, let's go along with the idea that we're treating him like crap by asking him to play across the half back line rather than in the midfield. It's a shame that injuries ruined what should have been a HoF career but I think it's best for both parties if he leaves at the end of the year.

I'm glad we're moving on from being a Club that constantly panders to individuals.
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Lake left because he wasn't wanted, the club pushed him out, or I should say the coach. He just said he wanted to play in a grand final to save face.
    You are a wealth of information BAD. Do you know this for a 100% FACT or are you assuming.

Post Thanks / Like

If he wants out he wants out.
    Why on earth would you overpay someone with a dodgy knee?
    Would be complete mismanagement to overpay for Cooney.
    These are the times we're in with F/ A some supporters better get used to it.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by comrade View Post
    That's rubbish. Did Ward and Harbrow leave because they were mistreated?

It's well known that he's a massive fan of the folding stuff and given he's not going to play in a premiership with us, why not go somewhere else that can pay him more and give him a shot at a flag. He's giving us very little on field; sure, point to the 26 touches per game but don't forget to include the missed tackles, non-chases and general ad body language.

But yes, let's go along with the idea that we're treating him like crap by asking him to play across the half back line rather than in the midfield. It's a shame that injuries ruined what should have been a HoF career but I think it's best for both parties if he leaves at the end of the year.

I'm glad we're moving on from being a Club that constantly panders to individuals.
    Bang on the money.
    We've been a club that lauds its players for to long.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by chef View Post
    Hope we aren't becoming a feeder club.
    That's Leeds United chef

Post Thanks / Like

So am I, even if it outrages a portion of our supporters who favour individuals over team.

Post Thanks / Like

That's rubbish. Did Ward and Harbrow leave because they were mistreated? .
    Ok, sorry wrong word, mismanaged by the list manager - Fantasia.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

As a side note, due to his restricted status, we can match opposition offers and he then has to stay or enter the draft, is that right?

On that point, how would it work if say GWS offered him $400k per season for 2 years flat?

Would we need to offer the same? Or could we do something like $200k base + $10k bonus (or whatever totals maximum $400k) for each game he actually plays over 2 years?

Are these offers considered the same?

Post Thanks / Like

I don't want us to be seen to toss him on the scrapheap but I'm equally not keen to see us offer the farm to keep him. So long as the message is managed carefully and considerately by both parties, if Coons decides that he wants to leave and seek greener pastures I'm fine with it. Unfortunately one of the great AFL careers was shot down in its prime when we were knee-deep in contending mode.

I'd like to think that a 27yo Brownlow medallist, now back to almost full fitness, and one of the highest paid players at our club should command a very high FA compensation pick. We deserve this not in the least because if the poor compensation we received for both Ward and Harbrow relative to their age profile and the band compensation given to others. A first round pick after our current first rounder is absolutely what we should be angling for - St Kilda received the same as compensation for Goddard, who was the same age as Coons is now and isn't a Brownlow Medallist. Other clubs will stink up but who cares.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sedat View Post
    I don't want us to be seen to toss him on the scrapheap but I'm equally not keen to see us offer the farm to keep him. So long as the message is managed carefully and considerately by both parties, if Coons decides that he wants to leave and seek greener pastures I'm fine with it. Unfortunately one of the great AFL careers was shot down in its prime due to injury - it won't be the first or last time that happens.

I'd like to think that a 27yo Brownlow medallist, now back to almost full fitness, and one of the highest paid players at our club should command a very high FA compensation pick. We deserve this not in the least because if the poor compensation we received for both Ward and Harbrow relative to their age profile and the band compensation given to others. A first round pick after our current first rounder is absolutely what we should be angling for - St Kilda received the same as compensation for Goddard, who was the same age as Coons is now and isn't a Brownlow Medallist. Other clubs will stink up but who cares.
    Agree Sedat. I read earlier that we would get in the 20's and was thinking how in the hell do they get that figure. The team he goes to doesn't have to lose a draft pick so no one should whinge if we were given fair compensation.

Post Thanks / Like

I don't want us to be seen to toss him on the scrapheap but I'm equally not keen to see us offer the farm to keep him. So long as the message is managed carefully and considerately by both parties, if Coons decides that he wants to leave and seek greener pastures I'm fine with it. Unfortunately one of the great AFL careers was shot down in its prime when we were knee-deep in contending mode.

Pick 4 for Coons???
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog4life View Post
    Agree Sedat. I read earlier that we would get in the 20's and was thinking how in the hell do they get that figure. The team he goes to doesn't have to lose a draft pick so no one should whinge if we were given fair compensation.
    Because the pick would be after our second rounder say pick 22.

If they did for after our first rounder, it would be pick 4.

I'm not sure why the AFL would give us that on their current treatment of us. It would be the just outcome, but look at the MRP. Not much to do with us is just.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

If he wants to go elsewhere I'd like to think we could work out a trade that suits us rather than let the AFL decided on what is fair compensation.

I'm on the same thinking as you. If he's asking for big $ or wanting to go to a contender then if I were in charge I'd say thanks for your services Adam and try and work out something.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    Pick 4 for Coons???
    Under exactly the same compensation criteria as Goddard, absolutely. Coons actually has him covered under the AFL's compensation criteria - both were ND pick 1's, both will be 27yo, both are in the top echelon of paid players at their club, with the only difference being Cooney's Brownlow. Our administrators should not just suggest this compensation, but demand it.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Greystache View Post
    Or he spent 2012 trying to get his market currency up so he could move to a new club on a decent contract in 2013 after the disgraceful way he was treated by the previous coaching group while injured in 2011.

But yeah, it must be all McCartney's fault.
    You know bugger all. believe what you will.

If you are happy to lose a brownlow medallist who can help our young team develop, fine that is your choice.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.