Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Clubs circle Bulldogs star Cooney

Quote Originally Posted by BornAScragger View Post
    Come off it guys. I'm getting kinda sick of the “How do you know that?” response. It's disrespectful to the poster you're seemingly bashing over the head for not being the head coach. None of us can expect to know all the inner workings of our footy club and if we did, we wouldn't post it on a football forum anyway.

So come up with something better, for all our sake.
    I'm not sure where you get the 'bashing over the head' from...that isn't the point of the question in the slightest. I agree we can't be expected to know the club's inner workings, which is precisely why I asked how the information is known! When someone comes out and says something that hints at a players' personal thoughts, I'd like to know whether that's just an observation based on watching him play, or there's more to it.
    [B][COLOR="#0000CD"]Our club was born in blood and boots, not in AFL focus groups.[/COLOR][/B]

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    All good points, but you are not getting mine.

All I am saying is if Cooney looks disinterested, then there is a reason, and it may not be just him.

Anyway, all moot points, we are all guessing. It just pisses me off when people have a go at a player and they don't know the full story. I like to keep an open mind.
    I'll bite here. If I had to guess why he's looking disinterested its because he is probably questioning where this is all going. I don't know Adam personally, so this is all supposition (no worse supposition though than perceived body language reading). What I mean by this is that contrary to what the media tend to portray most sports people don't play for the money. Sure guys edging towards the end of their career tend to want to make sure their last contract is a good oen, but most would give all of that away for tasting the ultimate success in their sport, be it a winning Premiership, Winning Wimbledon, Winning at Augusta, an Olympic Gold Medal, it doesn't matter that is what really makes them play through pain, stretch that little bit harder etc.

The big concern I have at moment is that for guys like Cooney, 27 YO, body failing, the reality is the big prize is out of reach. In fact playing finals football again is not likely. So in his shoes you have to ask yourself where does the motivation come from? For guys like Gia (who is a little older and facing retirement) its from seeing the younger guys come through and playing the mentoring role. Coon's has never been this sort of player, not as a junior and not as a professional.

I suspect he wont be at the Bulldogs next year, but will take a lesser contract to chase a flag. No inside info (hard to have this when I sit half a world away), just a hunch.

Post Thanks / Like

Zero on this one.
    Cool, thanks mate.
    The curse is dead.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by AndrewP6 View Post
    thoughts, I'd like to know whether that's just an observation based on watching him play, or there's more to it.
    Part on and off field observation. No inside connection to the club. Perceptions.

FWIW, There have been threads that go back from 2008 that debate his laziness, or attitude.

Quote Originally Posted by natsy View Post
    i am not a big fan of cooney and think he is overrated. for me, its not that he is lazy, but that he is most interested in "sheepdogging", scrapping around at the back of the pack just in case he can get the glory of snapping a quick goal but never going for the hard ball.
    This is one area of his game where he's really improved I think since those days - much better value inside game. He's been inconsistent through injury for some time. How has this affected his game mentally?

Some of the reports of him at the Skins train with the players and videos like this don't really give the perception he's 100% representing the club off field. Has it always been this way? Or is this a recent indication of his mood? Watching him at games, he's a burst runner, not a running machine, so he often pulls up short in the chase. I think this is style of play, but could be read as effort as well.

Tackle count is the big indicator of wanting to be there. Not necessarily ultimate worth, but it's hard to argue someone doesn't if their tackle count is high. His tackle average sits at 2.1 at the moment. I'm not a coach, but I believe this is a bit low considering where he plays on the field. That's 80th in the league.
    You don't develop courage by being happy in your relationships every day. You develop it by surviving difficult times and challenging adversity. ― Epicurus

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by AndrewP6 View Post
    Before doing his hammy he was in good form I thought.
    Agree, he'd looked good at times. Maybe he's unhappy that his body keeps letting him down. It might be less that he's unwilling to do what is asked of him than his body leaves him unable. That would be another explanation for his body language, particularly in a contract year. Anyway that's my attempt at reading too much into the situation without any actual knowledge. Hope we hold onto him on a fair contract for both sides.
    Park that car
    Drop that phone
    Sleep on the floor
    Dream about me

Post Thanks / Like

I do wonder how much Lake's current situation, post his free agency experience, who is looking settled, valued and with a fair chance of playing off in a GF this season, is playing on Adam's thinking.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Doc26 View Post
    I do wonder how much Lake's current situation, post his free agency experience, who is looking settled, valued and with a fair chance of playing off in a GF this season, is playing on Adam's thinking.
    Hawthorn were keen to get Lake two years prior to it occurring simply because they desperately needed another key defender. I wouldn't think that Cooney as a FA has any where near the same currency, in particular for a top 8 club.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Nuggety Back Pocket View Post
    Hawthorn were keen to get Lake two years prior to it occurring simply because they desperately needed another key defender. I wouldn't think that Cooney as a FA has any where near the same currency, in particular for a top 8 club.
    I'd be surprised if he got a deal we couldn't match unless GWS are going to give him 3 or 4 years and pay overs in year one.
    Park that car
    Drop that phone
    Sleep on the floor
    Dream about me

neddie Guest

Unhappy Re: Clubs circle Bulldogs star Cooney

Zero on this one.
    Could it be,Cooney would like to return home to Adelaide ??Crows have deep pockets after the departure of Tippet last year.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by neddie View Post
    Could it be,Cooney would like to return home to Adelaide ??Crows have deep pockets after the departure of Tippet last year.
    Swap for D Talia
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Doc26 View Post
    They are great mates and I imagine they still see quite a bit of each other.

Perhaps Cooney could somehow end up a hawk?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by azabob View Post
    They are great mates and I imagine they still see quite a bit of each other.

Perhaps Cooney could somehow end up a hawk?
    I was speaking with a Hawks mate yesterday and my view is they may see him as a replacement for Burgoyne. Adam could walk into their side but not need to be a standout performer, more a bit player. Playing him off half back may indeed be something that helps see such a move over the line as I could very much see the Hawks wanting him to fill a role that involves him playing all across the park but perhaps like Burgoyne, being mainly used behind the ball.

I guess it's very much a wait and see prospect, but I wouldn't be surprised to see him leave. The Burgoyne example is also a good one in that Shaun had considerable knee issues prior to leaving Port (and had a significantly reduced output because of that) but Hawks were still very keen to deal for him (paid big). I know we will lose him to FA so the situation has its differences, but still - he could definitely be someone they are very interested in. The Lake connection makes it all the more likely for mine.