Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog Revolution View Post
    Interesting outcome - seemed to go exactly to the plan
    Except for the power forward thingy.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: The deadline today

Quote Originally Posted by Sockeye Salmon View Post
    Except for the power forward thingy.
    Power forwards are not available. See my thread on Eade interview
    Last edited by bornadog; 13-10-2007 at 01:48 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Realistically we were never going to get a good power forward cheap in the trade period.
    I suppose it an example of the failure of the best available system!
    We maybe need to take a gamble on older guy in the draft late pick or psd.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ErnieSigley View Post
    I suppose it an example of the failure of the best available system!
    Yes, even if we'd offered Cooney or Griffin we'd probably only get Rusling or Boyle.
    The fight is here; I need ammunition, not a ride.

Post Thanks / Like

There wasnt much on offer, i dont think....
    though Saints got an excellent deal on Playfair

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Gabi View Post
    There wasnt much on offer, i dont think....
    though Saints got an excellent deal on Playfair
    Scary avatar!
    85, 92, 97, 98, 08, 09, 10... Break the curse!

Post Thanks / Like

I think the sainters did very, very well out of the draft. to give up 2 picks, 26 and 90, and get 2 premiership players( king and schneider) , a potentially decent backman??? dempster, and a potential 3rd forward(gardener). If they get 20+ goals out of garnder, its a pretty good pick up. 4 ready made AFL players for just 1 decent pick, and at best a smoke at pick 90.

Ross lyon and the recruiting manager must be over the moon! .

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by macca View Post
    I think the sainters did very, very well out of the draft. to give up 2 picks, 26 and 90, and get 2 premiership players( king and schneider) , a potentially decent backman??? dempster, and a potential 3rd forward(gardener). If they get 20+ goals out of garnder, its a pretty good pick up. 4 ready made AFL players for just 1 decent pick, and at best a smoke at pick 90.

Ross lyon and the recruiting manager must be over the moon! .
    If they get 20 good minutes out of Gardiner I'll be surprised. He's dreadful.

Schneider for pick 26 is about right, Dempster and King for free. Is Dempster any better a pick-up than Birss was last year (basically for free as well)?

King is 29 with a significant injury history but they might get two good years out of him.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sockeye Salmon View Post
    If they get 20 good minutes out of Gardiner I'll be surprised. He's dreadful.

Schneider for pick 26 is about right, Dempster and King for free. Is Dempster any better a pick-up than Birss was last year (basically for free as well)?

King is 29 with a significant injury history but they might get two good years out of him.

King is finished I reckon. Just taking a place on the list.
    They say Burt Lancaster has one, but I don't believe them.

Post Thanks / Like

King and Gardiner were barely worth pick 90. Gardiner would have been delisted otherwise. Same goes for Playfair, he's big, but he's VFL quality. I'm glad we didn't waste our time with any of them. Sydney were especially generous, a 3rd rounder for Playfair and giving up Schneider and Dempster for pick 26.
    Park that car
    Drop that phone
    Sleep on the floor
    Dream about me

Post Thanks / Like

Just thought I would give my opinion on some of the trades the other teams did.

Mattner to Sydney- I reckon he will do well with the swans. Craig played him out of position this season and he really suits the swans style of game.

Trav Johnstone to Brisbane- Should dominate in Brisbane. Plenty of other midfielders to take the heat off him and a big open ground to use his kicking skills. Might be worth putting a few quid on him for the brownlow.

King and Gardiner to Stkilda- King should have retired in my opinion. Ross Lyon is from the Sydney school of thought in that he places huge importance on ruckmen but his efforts at getting a top one have been a bit half hearted. The saints have been chasing a mid sized forward because its something that their forward line just doesn't have and thats probably why they picked up Gardiner. They might be looking at playing Riewoldt deeper this season and I imagine Gardiner will spend time in a lead up role. Can play a little bit so it might not be a bad move by the saints.

Wood to Collingwood- Just hard to call with young ruckmen. I certainly dont think he will come out next year and dominate. Good work by Brisbane to get pick 14 for him.

Schneider to Stkilda- Will watch this with interest. I tend to think that the swans game plan makes players look better than they are. They are all so well drilled and know their roles so well that ordinary players can find a role and do very well. He was ok providing the swans with that extra bit of run when they needed it but it will be interesting to see how he goes at Stkilda.

Symes to Adeliade- Good get IMO. The kid can play a bit but was caught behind some good players at Port.