Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: McMahon

Post Thanks / Like

Re: McMahon

Quote Originally Posted by borgy View Post
    Thats crap.

We trade Jordy for 3 positions better in the draft where we could possibly get the same player anyway?

Seems stupid to me.

Where is pick 22 now?
    We needed to use 22 to get Hudson and in the end found a way of basically getting Hudson and pick 35 for pick 22.

There was no guarantee that we could pick up Hudson in the pre-season draft - he's better than the rucks both Richmond and Carlton have and both would like to have him on their list imo.

Getting a ruck was our priority and unfortunately Jordy wanted to leave. In effect we got Hudson for McMahon, Callan for Power and upgraded all the picks we're likely to use apart from pick#5.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dales.girl38 View Post
    We got pick 30, pick 35 and pick 62 and they got pick 22 and pick 54.
    Evens it out a bit i guess.

Gee West Coast are going to have fun with pick 3, 20, 22 and Kennedy.

Post Thanks / Like

Don't forget their young tall Brown. Should be a gun.
    The fight is here; I need ammunition, not a ride.

Post Thanks / Like

Make that 3, 13, 20 and 22 and then 54. Thats a pretty nice selection of draft picks they have there.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Beuts2Blame View Post
    Make that 3, 13, 20 and 22 and then 54. Thats a pretty nice selection of draft picks they have there.
    You want to have a lot if good picks, the lost the best player in the league. When we lost a very good player we got some magic beans.

Post Thanks / Like

I have made no secret of my love for Jordy. Still hasn't reached his potential and to be honest I now pray to god that he doesn't. Very sad to see him go. I think he was worth more than pick 19 but realistically I dont think we would get anymore than that.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dog town View Post
    I have made no secret of my love for Jordy. Still hasn't reached his potential and to be honest I now pray to god that he doesn't. Very sad to see him go. I think he was worth more than pick 19 but realistically I dont think we would get anymore than that.
    Very close to my feelings, though I wouldn't claim my love for him was as strong as yours

Post Thanks / Like

Wasted talent but it does beg a few questions:

Is it the clubs fault or McMahon's why we couldn't get the best out of him?

If he goes onto bigger and better things with the Tigers was the trade the wake up call he had to have or was Eade just way too impatient with him?

We all know he had talent to burn but for everyone who is disappointed that he is gone I don't see anyone saying Eade has made a big mistake.

Is it blind faith in all things Eade driving that or is it a realisation that the club was unlikely to get more out of him?
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    Is it blind faith in all things Eade driving that or is it a realisation that the club was unlikely to get more out of him?
    What is his natural position?
    As a running backman, we now have Gilbee, Hargrave & Everitt.
    On the wings, we have Ray, Eagleton, Gia, Griffen before we get into the centre square midfield rotations that often see a player there.
    He isn't big enough for centre square work, and not good enough overhead to play forward.

He is not worth $330k per season to us. He is behind the pecking order in his AFL role, as a running backman.

Good player, but not vitol & not worth what he asked for.

Post Thanks / Like

Mofra, do you think he left just for money?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    Wasted talent but it does beg a few questions:

Is it the clubs fault or McMahon's why we couldn't get the best out of him?

If he goes onto bigger and better things with the Tigers was the trade the wake up call he had to have or was Eade just way too impatient with him?

We all know he had talent to burn but for everyone who is disappointed that he is gone I don't see anyone saying Eade has made a big mistake.

Excellent questions GVGjr, difficult to give definitive answers though.

I reckon blame has to be apportioned to both the club and McMahon, but it's hard at least for me on the outside to pinpoint particular issues (though there's been a bit of hearsay about how well he integrated into the club).

A quarter of the way into this season and it seemed like Eade's management of McMahon had been perfect. He then got injured and after returning his form fell away dramatically (Power was actually another who started off the season pretty well and then struggled after a fairly early injury). So one of the big questions is why did his form deteriorate so much.

The fact that the game-plan demanded more and more of him might be one factor, while personal issues are another. Part of my frustration with him during this period was that he didn't seem to learn much from his mistakes, with lots of his errors fitting particular patterns (short passes to stationary targets, diagonal passes that were cut off by someone coming across them). Still he was one of the only ones able to generate some run. Eade obviously struggled to help him get out of this rut, though his performance in the final game was good.

If Eade was concerned that he couldn't be fairly sure McMahon was start moving again towards his potential best then it makes sense not to offer him three years on a fairly high salary. If he was to have another season like this next year it makes sense to get a semi-decent pick for him, but it could come back to haunt us. And it is very disapointing because he promised so much (there was talk awhile ago of a potential brownlow).

I've still got faith in Eade but if this kind of move goes wrong it will shake my faith in him.

macca028 Guest

About time we got rid of the duds, he was soft and is easily replaced.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by macca028 View Post
    Macca for what it's worth it's too easy to just to refer to players as duds. There is no way he was a dud anyway and I'm surprised you cannot see that.
    Can he be easily replaced? I think we have players to cover him but he was a talent that we just didn't get the most out of.

macca028 Guest

He was a soft outside player that the dogs do not need, he was a skillful player who did not reach his potential and is a perfect fit for Richmond. He had plenty of opportunity and did not take an i am glad he is gone. It is great to see that eade has obviovlsy decided to take a stand against players who are soft and not hard at the ball. Lets hope gia gets the message.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by macca028 View Post
    Re "dud", you don't get Pick19 for a dud who's played a number of seasons (and maybe we could have got pick 16 from Port)

"Easily replaced"? Who's going to replace his run out of the backline?
    The fight is here; I need ammunition, not a ride.