Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 17 1234567891011 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Stick with code, says WADA

Link

World Anti-Doping Agency president John Fahey has underlined that the global code is the ''only document that matters'' in doping cases.
    Fahey resisted interpreting events in which the Australian Anti-Doping Authority provided the Australian Crime Commission with incomplete advice on AOD-9604, but his message was clear: the substance is prohibited and an athlete found to have used it should face the consequences.

''I don't know what the chain of information was to be able to conclusively explain anything. And I'm certainly not going to guess,'' Fahey said of the communication that led the ACC to publish information about AOD-9604 in its report on crime, corruption and drugs in Australian sport that was incomplete, though not incorrect.

While ASADA advised the ACC, correctly, that AOD-9604 did not fall into the S2 category of WADA's prohibited list, it has acknowledged it did not reference the substance's categorisation in the S-O ''non-approved substances''. ASADA would not acknowledge that as an error this week but, crucially, it has stated previously that it has ''not advised any party that AOD-9604 is permitted in sport''.

AFL boss Andrew Demetriou last week referred to a ''classification issue'' around AOD-9604, but Fahey said on Friday: ''I know what is clear, and I'll say it again, the substance known as AOD-9604 has never been approved, to my knowledge, by any health or regulatory authority anywhere in the world for human consumption, and therefore it is prohibited under the S-O provision … All that matters for an anti-doping violation, an ADV, is the WADA code. The simple facts here are there's a code, the athlete is bound by that code, the athlete is liable if there's a breach of that code or a violation under that code. Full stop.''
    This doesn't look good for Essendon.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Stick with code, says WADA

We need a like button.

Essendon supporters at work have been smiling all week. I'd love to see that smile turned upside down.

Post Thanks / Like

Fahey seems to believe pretty strongly that Essendon should be punished, not sure if his bite will be as strong as his bark though.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by wse View Post
    Fahey seems to believe pretty strongly that Essendon should be punished, not sure if his bite will be as strong as his bark though.
    He's been pretty consistent, but does he have the final say?
    If you kicked five goals and Tom Boyd kicked five goals, Tom Boyd kicked more goals than you.

Formerly gogriff

Post Thanks / Like

yes WADA can appeal any ASADA decision.

Post Thanks / Like

Maybe a dumb question but is there a declaration that all sports codes sign under a world governing body.
    I guess why I'm asking is because the AFL is a domestic sport can the AFL water down any punishment handed out by the WADA. Because we don't have a international completion like soccer, union or league.
    I can see the AFL saying thanks for your recommendation but we will do this instead.
    Don't piss off old people
    The older we get the less "LIFE IN PRISON" is a deterrent...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Hotdog60 View Post
    Maybe a dumb question but is there a declaration that all sports codes sign under a world governing body.
    I guess why I'm asking is because the AFL is a domestic sport can the AFL water down any punishment handed out by the WADA. Because we don't have a international completion like soccer, union or league.
    I can see the AFL saying thanks for your recommendation but we will do this instead.
    I thought the AFL reluctantly signed something a few years ago declaring that they would comply by the WADA standards, therefore they have to accept the punishment handed them by ASADA and can't do their usual trick of covering stuff up when it suits them
    I should leave it alone but you're not right

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by soupaman View Post
    I thought the AFL reluctantly signed something a few years ago declaring that they would comply by the WADA standards, therefore they have to accept the punishment handed them by ASADA and can't do their usual trick of covering stuff up when it suits them
    Thanks Soupaman, this is how much faith supporters have in the AFL in doing the right thing or protecting the brand.
    Don't piss off old people
    The older we get the less "LIFE IN PRISON" is a deterrent...

Post Thanks / Like

After just reading the second test thread, this was a great pick me up. Thanks BAD.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

Too right tragic. We will be looking to the feds to do the right thing by the sport and restore a bit of faith.
    You don't develop courage by being happy in your relationships every day. You develop it by surviving difficult times and challenging adversity. ― Epicurus

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Hotdog60 View Post
    Pretty sure the AFL have signed some sort of declaration of WADA compliance.

Even if they hadn't, to water down any WADA finding would end up being a PR disaster of epic proportions. Not only would they lose sponsors but probably commonwealth funding as well.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by westdog54 View Post
    Pretty sure the AFL have signed some sort of declaration of WADA compliance.

Even if they hadn't, to water down any WADA finding would end up being a PR disaster of epic proportions. Not only would they lose sponsors but probably commonwealth funding as well.
    But would they see that through the fog of arrogance and yes-men?

Post Thanks / Like

It is becoming an embarrassment to the AFL that the Balco Bombers are now going to be playing for top spot next Friday night. The sooner the ASADA findings are released and the infraction notices and loss points are handed out to all and sundry at Windy Hill the better it will be for the credibility of the competition and the game. Right now we are a laughing stock.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sedat View Post
    It is becoming an embarrassment to the AFL that the Balco Bombers are now going to be playing for top spot next Friday night. The sooner the ASADA findings are released and the infraction notices and loss points are handed out to all and sundry at Windy Hill the better it will be for the credibility of the competition and the game. Right now we are a laughing stock.
    A laughing stock with a billion dollar broadcasting contract to protect.

That's all that matters to the AFL.
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by gogriff View Post
    He's been pretty consistent, but does he have the final say?
    What someone above said, they can appeal a decision if they think it's too weak, just not sure whether they'll actually do it.