Thanks Thanks:  5
Likes Likes:  17
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Victoria's most powerful men declare war on family violence

Another rape in football circles as per the other thread. This madness has got to end.

That's two Lions academy players awaiting trial, L. Montagna (implicated with Milne), Majak Daw awaiting trial and two Hawthorn players under investigation who are around the AFL system with rape allegations. And that's leaving aside sleeping with an underage school girl and claims of domestic violence.

Whether they like it or nor they're role models. Not very good role models... Enough already.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

2. Likes bornadog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    Another rape in football circles as per the other thread. This madness has got to end.

That's two Lions academy players awaiting trial, L. Montagna (implicated with Milne), Majak Daw awaiting trial and two Hawthorn players under investigation who are around the AFL system with rape allegations. And that's leaving aside sleeping with an underage school girl and claims of domestic violence.

Whether they like it or nor they're role models. Not very good role models... Enough already.
    Role models or not, women should not be treated like this. The culture of football was summed up by the incident with Bill dickhead Brownless.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Role models or not, women should not be treated like this. The culture of football was summed up by the incident with Bill dickhead Brownless.
    The AFL needs to clean this shit up. And now. My comment on role models is about perceived acceptability of abhorrent conduct. Then blokes like Nick Stevens bashing his girlfriend repeatedly as per the court outcome. Clearly this industry is not doing enough...
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

What's the link here? That they've all played football in one form or another? The hysteria around prosecuting footballers has gone to obsurd levels.

Daw was charged with a crime he allegedly committed years before playing AFL. The two Brisbane players are not even AFL players. Montagna was not even accused of a crime anywhere but the media. And the St Kilda "school" girl was nothing more than a celebrity chaser who was a pathological liar and happened to sleep with a footballer while pretending to be her older sister. She didn't even go to school.

I'm all for a good burning at the stake but this is ridiculous. I understand all of those mentioned above also happen to vote Labor- When is the Labor party going to do something about the culture amongst it's supporters!!1!11!
    Western Bulldogs: We exist to win premierships

Post Thanks / Like

Compared to wider society, stats-wise, I'd say footballers are probably ahead of the curve.

7. Likes WBFC4FFC liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Greystache View Post
    What's the link here? That they've all played football in one form or another? The hysteria around prosecuting footballers has gone to obsurd levels.

Daw was charged with a crime he allegedly committed years before playing AFL. The two Brisbane players are not even AFL players. Montagna was not even accused of a crime anywhere but the media. And the St Kilda "school" girl was nothing more than a celebrity chaser who was a pathological liar and happened to sleep with a footballer while pretending to be her older sister. She didn't even go to school.

I'm all for a good burning at the stake but this is ridiculous. I understand all of those mentioned above also happen to vote Labor- When is the Labor party going to do something about the culture amongst it's supporters!!1!11!
    Disagree. There is a long, "proud" history of these incidents being totally ignored or wet lettuced by the AFL, all in the name of "due process", leaving it to the clubs (as if they would ever act in self interest, no sir), or generally relying on a society indoctrinated with a systemic rape culture to sweep it under the rug for them (e.g: "Why did she get out of the cab if she was so scared?"). This is including, but not limited to;

- Michael O'Loughlin literally paying someone to stop accusing him of sexual assault, only to be inducted into the Hall of Fame (!!!)
    - Jesse Stringer punching out a woman, only to be promoted onto the Geelong primary list at the end of the relevant season
    - The multiple offences of Adam Heuskes, who was re-listed multiple times in spite of being a total piece of shit and clear recidivist
    - Nathan Bock punching out his girlfriend and having his indefinite suspension lifted after one week because the Crows really needed to beat the Cats
    - Multiple incidents at Hawthorn, including a case getting thrown out because a victim refused to give evidence for fear of the backlash she would receive from our culture of footballer idolisation, and a player filming girls having sex with him without their consent (not to mention the thing that totally didn't happen after the grand final this year, and a few others)
    - The Milne case (just the Saints in general) - enough said
    - Wayne Carey glassing a woman moments before being welcomed back into the AFL fraternity (another HoFer btw)
    - Multiple reports against West Coast during their glory (?) years
    - Majak Daw
    - Allegations against Collingwood players after their Grand Final win

These are just a few; won't even get into some of the horrible things I've read about the victim of the Lions Academy players. Look at the players code of conduct - it actually says "No means no!" in it! In 2015! This is an issue that has been wholly, horribly ignored and disregarded by the AFL for as long as I can remember, all because it's easier for them to do so. The NFL is arguably a worse organisation than the AFL when it comes to communication (Goodell's draconian rule makes Demetriou look like a high school counsellor), but even they gave away $5m of ad time in the Superbowl to anti-domestic violence campaigners. It's disgusting and a far bigger blight on the game than a player being caught in a different country with a line of a party drug in front of him.

Australia as a whole is pretty shit at this sort of stuff, but the AFL is supposedly the role model. Their outrageous media share and general beloved status gives them a platform to do something (anything), but I guess that doesn't generate the positive spin that $3 pies do.

And as for the players, stop being dickheads.
    - I'm a visionary - Only here to confirm my biases -

Post Thanks / Like

Albert Proud, former Lions Player, was charged with attempted murder on his female partner but downgraded to the most serious assault charge at law. Remanded in custody.