Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  1
    Post Thanks / Like

Top 10 key position players AFL clubs will be seeking out during the trade period

Link

Any interest for the Bulldogs here?

WHILE the AFL and Essendon are bungling through ASADA deals and five clubs head the race to win the premiership, the backroom men are warming up their cheque books.
    Season 2014 ends — and the silly season begins — this weekend for 10 clubs.
    The 195cm GWS swingman Kristian Jaksch will be on the market from Monday when he tells the Giants he wants out and maybe Carlton’s Jarrad Waite will make that decision, too.
    Never before have we had so many clubs desperate for a key tall to improve their lists and so few quality options available.
    Carlton, the Western Bulldogs, St Kilda, the Brisbane Lions, Fremantle, Geelong and Port Adelaide lead the clubs hunting to bolster their tall timber.
    Brisbane has $1.1 million of salary cap space available and the Bulldogs are not far behind on that front.
    So who are the key talls coming out of contract, are they gettable, and would they make a difference at your club?

1.KRISTIAN JAKSCH (GWS)
    HE was a gun two years ago when taken at pick 12. Is he still? Clubs will give up high picks to find out with Carlton seen to be pushing hardest. It’s rare to poach such a quality junior talent with two years development under him. GWS can try to find the best deal from the 10 Victorian clubs who will all inquire.

2. JARRAD WAITE (Carl)
    TWO years at reasonable money might seal the deal to get this unrestricted free agent, who has met the Kangaroos and been offered one year and a trigger for a second. In scintillating form, but at 32 you get a stop-gap, not a long-term project. Might still stay, but then why has he put off talks if he’s not considering an exit?

3. TOM BELLCHAMBERS (Ess)
    CONTRACTED for another year but ankle surgery wrecked his year. Paddy Ryder might be the All-Australian ruckman, but Bellchambers can play forward (28 goals from 18 games in 2013). Would a club give up plenty for a 25-year-old starved of opportunities? A deal would secure Essendon another early draft pick.

4. ADAM TOMLINSON (GWS)
    A 193cm running machine who has a tank compared to Nick Riewoldt, he is out of contract at the end of next year. Clubs went hard for Jon Patton, who on Friday re-signed, so will they turn attention to Tomlinson? Not a big-marking gun, but a lead-up tall who at 21 has 44 games under his belt. Only 15 goals so far in his career though.

5. LEVI CASBOULT (Carl)
    A NAVY Blue supporter who now shapes as a great white hope. Still uncontracted this late in the season, which must be a worry for the Blues. Bounced back against Port Adelaide after an ice-cold previous month, but has the best hands in the game. Blues must fight tooth and nail to keep him.

6. BEN GRIFFITHS (Rich)
    PICK 19 from the 2009 draft was perilously close to footy’s scrapheap last year, unwanted and only getting a one-year deal at Richmond. Now he’s Jack Riewoldt’s foil, but with Ty Vickery competing for his spot, clubs are already inquiring about this long-kicking, high-marking 22-year-old.

7. DAVID ASTBURY (Rich)
    THE Tigers initially offered only a one-year deal to Astbury, strange given his outstanding start to the year. That has been upped to two years. Might have led the Tigers B & F in Round 8. Back in the VFL last week and a genuine defensive star in the making.

8. TYSON GOLDSACK (Coll)
    NOT your conventional key forward, but Magpies fan favourite Goldsack would top off a forward line needing a lead-up third option with rabid defensive pressure. Still can’t see him leaving the Pies, but was at a mid-season contract impasse.

9. LIAM JONES (Dogs)
    THE Dogs are talking to Jones about another deal despite him being dropped in Round 15 and not returning since. Beautiful hands, but hasn’t yet converted that skill into goals. Hasn’t got a tank yet. At 23, has potential to burn. Jarrad Grant is contracted until 2015.

10. SHAUN McKERNAN (Adel)
    STILL only 23, but can’t get a game (dropped after Round 2 and not seen since). He drew little interest in last year’s trade period. Is he a late bloomer or just not good enough? When you are 196cm, you get more chances than some.

BEST OF THE REST
    Matthew Watson (Carl): Currency has dipped alarmingly but being played forward in VFL. His strong reputation as a junior must mean something
    Luke Lowden (Haw): Fourth in the ruck pecking order and three goals as ruckman in his only AFL game. Will someone swoop?
    Tayte Pears (Ess): Like Watson, was being trialled as a forward in VFL before injury. Needs a start elsewhere to invigorate career.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Top 10 key position players AFL clubs will be seeking out during the trade period

Tomlinson would be the one I would be targeting.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Top 10 key position players AFL clubs will be seeking out during the trade period

I'd be happy to get Bellchambers, assuming we think he's going to recover fully from his ankle injury.
    Western Bulldogs: We exist to win premierships

Post Thanks / Like

I'm a Griffiths fan out of that group, and his skill set would best cover our deficiencies up forward. It's a shame that Vickery had to get himself suspended and give Griffiths a chance to shine at this level, thus driving up trade value in the process.

No thanks to Bellchambers - not interested in any Essendon players right now, when there's a real possibility that many of them will become delisted free agents in the next couple of years.

Post Thanks / Like

Tex Walker could be a restricted free agent at the end of next year
    Listening to Brahm's 3rd Racket

Post Thanks / Like

Tomlinson would be my priority
    Listening to Brahm's 3rd Racket

Post Thanks / Like

I'd be most inclined to go after Astbury but it looks like that's no shot.
    - I'm a visionary - Only here to confirm my biases -

Post Thanks / Like

That Liam Jones look worth a shot...
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

9. Likes Twodogs liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I was impressed with Tomlinson when we played against them in round 4. Haven't seen much of him otherwise.

Post Thanks / Like

Astbury looks impressive. Very solid defender but more importantly for our backline he can actually kick the football.

Was very good early this year before injuries, I would say Richmond would want massive overs for him.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sedat View Post
    I'm a Griffiths fan out of that group, and his skill set would best cover our deficiencies up forward. It's a shame that Vickery had to get himself suspended and give Griffiths a chance to shine at this level, thus driving up trade value in the process.

No thanks to Bellchambers - not interested in any Essendon players right now, when there's a real possibility that many of them will become delisted free agents in the next couple of years.
    Ditto here. Don't mind Astbury either, he was playing very well until injured .

Post Thanks / Like

I mentioned Tomilson in the other thread as being more likely to make it than Jaksch but does he fit our needs? As a forward he's more third tall than big banana, I do like his athleticism as a back though. Wouldn't mind throwing some feelers the way of Astbury and Griffiths either.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by lemmon View Post
    I mentioned Tomilson in the other thread as being more likely to make it than Jaksch but does he fit our needs? As a forward he's more third tall than big banana, I do like his athleticism as a back though. Wouldn't mind throwing some feelers the way of Astbury and Griffiths either.
    I think he would be great at CHF and we can have Jones at Full forward.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.