Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  1
Page 4 of 41 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: AFL targets Essendon Royalty

Essendon look like the kid that has icing on their fingers and crumbs around their mouth but continues to deny they ate the cake.

Just because their is no paper trail will not stop Wada etc from turning the screw. The lack of paper trail simply makes it look worse IMHO.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Maddog37 View Post
    Essendon look like the kid that has icing on their fingers and crumbs around their mouth but continues to deny they ate the cake.

Just because their is no paper trail will not stop Wada etc from turning the screw. The lack of paper trail simply makes it look worse IMHO.
    The lack of a paper trail is the only thing preventing individual players from being charged - and of course that may change if Dank is ever interviewed by ASADA.

The astounding incompetence of the Essendon regime and it's lack of record keeping and oversight of the program has given the players a temporary reprieve, but it will not and should not save the club and the four officials charged by the AFL.

Post Thanks / Like

I would be devastated if this was our club, so disappointed in everyone I would give up my membership.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by meshe1969 View Post
    I would be devastated if this was our club, so disappointed in everyone I would give up my membership.
    If this were our club, the AFL would have already kicked us out for the remainder of the season and signed the club lease over to Tassie by now.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by HairyMidget View Post
    If this were our club, the AFL would have already kicked us out for the remainder of the season and signed the club lease over to Tassie by now.
    Sad but true HM.

A bit like Libba recieving a first strike without returning a positive test...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Varangian View Post
    Yes it is strange. If the players have not been charged because there is no evidence of illegal substances being used then why is the Essendon hierarchy potentially being charged for administering them? This appears to be the basis for bringing the game into disrepute.

You cannot be held accountable for bringing the game into disrepute when the administering of banned substances is nothing more than an allegation.

I have two questions that I hope someone more learned can answer;

1. Are Essendon charged with this because Hird took a banned substance?

2. Is not Jobe Watson's admission that he took AOD-9604 an admission of legal culpability under ASADA protocols and if so shouldn't he be the first player issued with an infraction notice?
    I've said it before and I'll say it again, the debate on this subject has become so contaminated with half-truths, misinterpretations and deflections that some people aren't even sure what we're actually debating anymore.

First of all, to say that there is 'no evidence of illegal substances being used is not right. What is actually happening is that there is not enough evidence to pin the administering of an illegal substance to any one given player. As such you cannot issue an infraction.

Secondly, Jobe Watson has never, not once, admitted to taking AOD-9604 and I defy anyone to find a direct quote from Watson that says otherwise.

Thirdly, Essendon have brought the game into disrepute with their lax handling of a program involving highly experimental substances, and the astounding risks they placed their players under, for, what it turned out, was seemingly minimal benefit. The club must be held accountable for their own lack of control and the treatment of their players.

Post Thanks / Like

The other thing Essendon seems to be forgetting in all of this, is that they receive so many benefits from the AFL that could so very, very easily be taken away.

The revenue from the ANZAC Day game.
    Sponsor-Friendly fixturing.
    Guaranteed blockbuster games.

They could be shooting themselves in the foot if they decide to take the fight to the AFL.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mofra View Post
    Yep - look forward to Essendon playing at 4.40 every Sunday afternoon, playing Collingwood, Richmond & Carlton as away games every year and the odd 5 day break after playing in Perth to spice up their season.

The AFL are holding most of the cards here.
    So they'd effectively be giving them our fixture then?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by westdog54 View Post
    The other thing Essendon seems to be forgetting in all of this, is that they receive so many benefits from the AFL that could so very, very easily be taken away.

The revenue from the ANZAC Day game.
    Sponsor-Friendly fixturing.
    Guaranteed blockbuster games.

They could be shooting themselves in the foot if they decide to take the fight to the AFL.
    If any of the supplements are deemed illegal, can the police press charges?
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post

Yeah. This is what I want to know? Will there be a police investigation?
    They say Burt Lancaster has one, but I don't believe them.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    If its illegal to possess them under the drugs, poisons and controlled substances act, and there is evidence that will stand up before the court beyond a reasonable doubt, then its quite possible.

Post Thanks / Like

Read Bob Murphy's magnificent article in Theage today. Actually I'm not always a fan of his articles but this one today is worth framing. And it reminds me there are so many positive things worth focusing on. From next year I hope to see sweeping changes that prevent this happening again. This whole drugs thing is going to drag on now for another year at least. Get ready to tune out.
    You don't develop courage by being happy in your relationships every day. You develop it by surviving difficult times and challenging adversity. ― Epicurus

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by westdog54 View Post
    I've said it before and I'll say it again, the debate on this subject has become so contaminated with half-truths, misinterpretations and deflections that some people aren't even sure what we're actually debating anymore.

First of all, to say that there is 'no evidence of illegal substances being used is not right. What is actually happening is that there is not enough evidence to pin the administering of an illegal substance to any one given player. As such you cannot issue an infraction.

Secondly, Jobe Watson has never, not once, admitted to taking AOD-9604 and I defy anyone to find a direct quote from Watson that says otherwise.

Thirdly, Essendon have brought the game into disrepute with their lax handling of a program involving highly experimental substances, and the astounding risks they placed their players under, for, what it turned out, was seemingly minimal benefit. The club must be held accountable for their own lack of control and the treatment of their players.
    Well put WestDog. There is no doubt that WADA banned substances were administered to players... but which players? That we don't know for certain which players received AOD-9604 will not protect Essendon as a club.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by LongWait View Post
    Well put WestDog. There is no doubt that WADA banned substances were administered to players... but which players? That we don't know for certain which players received AOD-9604 will not protect Essendon as a club.
    Not to mention Thymosin Beta-4 and Heraxelin, both of which are banned S2 drugs.

The arrogant fools now running the show at Windy Hill think that the AFL Commission are their enemy - they were their closest allies and best hope in relation to trying to reduce the fall-out on the club as much as possible. Their legal action against the AFL Commission has put paid to any hope of clemency - they are screwed. Now the prospect of Essendon having their license revoked for 2 years is a real possibility, especially when the final ASADA report is delivered and sees most of the playing list get rubbed out for minimum 2 years for taking banned PED's.

No club is bigger than the competition. The very game's credibility is now on the line, and finally I think the penny has dropped for Vlad and the commission that the greater good of the game is far more important than window dressing and posturing to make the appearance of a code and competition in good health. This doping saga is rotten to the core - it is systematic cheating on a similar scale to East Germany, Balco, Team Lance, etc... and Hird will be persona non-grata after the final punch has been thrown. Speaking of which, John Fahey will be stepping down at WADA president in November, and his likely successor will be Ed Moses, former Olympic champion and one of the fiercest critics of doping - what better way to announce yourself to the role than to nail a big fish to the wall.

Post Thanks / Like

http://theconversation.com/human-exp...ootball%20Club

This is a great read and cuts to the core of the issue at hand. Ignore 99% of all the hot air expelled by moron ex.footballers and cheerleading scribes. Essendon has a clear case to answer.

Also enjoyed Patrick Smith's article this morning - the Four Aminos
    http://www.news.com.au/breaking-news...-1226697372955