Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Eade's trading record with us

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog Revolution View Post
    I just meant a fringe player rather than performing the same actual role in the team.
    If Power and Callan are both the same in terms of being fringe players (and I rated Power more highly than most), then getting pick 48 for Power, and only downgrading pick 62 to 66 to get Callan seems a decent win.

I'm not sure it is as simple as this but Callan's purported attributes (defensive, hard-at-it) are something we need. I however, still thought Power had a chance of becoming a damaging player for us and would've liked to have them both.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mjp View Post

As for a shallow draft? We always hear this sort of thing - look through the lists season by season and decide which years are best for yourself...the number of good players is usually comparable - it is just not always quite so easy to find them.
    This is always an interesting one isn't it. Beauty is always in the eye of the beholder and Clayton must believe there is talent there to want 5 of the first 50 picks.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Raw Toast View Post
    I however, still thought Power had a chance of becoming a damaging player for us and would've liked to have them both.
    I can't see how.

He had no real position and at his height he had to use his marking to an advanatge. His kicking also has no real depth. I think we made the right call to cut our loses.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Topdog View Post
    Regarding player development. There haven't been many players that have developed as I thought they would since 2000 to be honest.

Finding the cause of this is the major thing but I honestly believe 90% of it is up to the player. Scott West emphasised a good point late this year when talking about the preparation of people at our club.

You just have to look at people like Cross and Boyd to realise how much a player can improve once they are in the AFL system.
    Perhaps you've been caught up in the "every draftee is going to be a gun" mentality? Have our draftees come on any more slowly than any others?

I hear Hudson got some pretty ordinary text messages from some teammates. If someone is a bit of a pratt and then leaves, the others tend to think 'thank Christ he's gone' and he is soon forgotten. If the pratt(s) are staying and someone leaves because of them, he would often get one last spray.

I think Adelaide have major problems within their club and Hudson has simply had enough of them.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sockeye Salmon View Post
    I think Adelaide have major problems within their club and Hudson has simply had enough of them.
    I think your on the money.

Post Thanks / Like

Perhaps you've been caught up in the "every draftee is going to be a gun" mentality? Have our draftees come on any more slowly than any others?

I think for various reasons they have. I've got no empirical evidence to prove it but theres an observable trend that we are fairly average at developing the talent on our list.
    They say Burt Lancaster has one, but I don't believe them.

Post Thanks / Like

Given they had fights at training last year, the wives saga, a number of players who left or wanted to leave (Ken McGregor would have left if a club was interested enough) and an aging list, all is not well at Crowland.
    I wouldn't judge a few texts from the Crows as a judge of character - especially if we had been in contact with Hudson from the middle of the year as Eade had indicated.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post
    I think for various reasons they have. I've got no empirical evidence to prove it but theres an observable trend that we are fairly average at developing the talent on our list.
    Gotta agree with that. Brad Murphy was someone who disappointed me greatly but even Ray, Jordan and Faulkner haven't come on as I expected.

I'm actually rather pessimistic anyhow and think most of our draftees won't be good so it certainly isn't an issue of getting caught up in the hype. The only 3 I've been excited about have been Williams, Everitt and West. 2 out of 3 is a good strike rate.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Topdog View Post
    Gotta agree with that. Brad Murphy was someone who disappointed me greatly but even Ray, Jordan and Faulkner haven't come on as I expected.

I'm actually rather pessimistic anyhow and think most of our draftees won't be good so it certainly isn't an issue of getting caught up in the hype. The only 3 I've been excited about have been Williams, Everitt and West. 2 out of 3 is a good strike rate.
    You don't feel that the 'kids' who Rocket has had complete control over have done well? I've been pretty happy with the output of Griff and Williams, Higgins and Addison, Everitt so far. They all have a long way to go as young players who need strength and motors etc, but their development to this point has been pleasing, imo.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Griffen#16 View Post
    You don't feel that the 'kids' who Rocket has had complete control over have done well? I've been pretty happy with the output of Griff and Williams, Higgins and Addison, Everitt so far. They all have a long way to go as young players who need strength and motors etc, but their development to this point has been pleasing, imo.
    Along with the group of kids you mentioned I think you can add Cooney and Ray as young players who improved last year. The 2 you haven't mentioned who I was most impressed with were Harbrow and to a lesser extent Tiller. I thought Harbrow was super in his first year coming off the rookie list, he is a real player for the future. Tiller came from the clouds to be quite effective as a leading forward late in the season, still raw, but I think he can become a pretty good player for us.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mantis View Post
    Along with the group of kids you mentioned I think you can add Cooney and Ray as young players who improved last year. The 2 you haven't mentioned who I was most impressed with were Harbrow and to a lesser extent Tiller. I thought Harbrow was super in his first year coming off the rookie list, he is a real player for the future. Tiller came from the clouds to be quite effective as a leading forward late in the season, still raw, but I think he can become a pretty good player for us.
    Yep, good call on Harbrow and Tiller. I actually think Eade is a pretty good development coach from what I've seen. Some who have been in the system longer are probably harder to 'work on'.

Post Thanks / Like

Yep, good call on Harbrow and Tiller. I actually think Eade is a pretty good development coach from what I've seen. Some who have been in the system longer are probably harder to 'work on'.
    Probably add "fringe" players like Hargrave & Gilbee to the list of those who have benefitted from Eade.

Post Thanks / Like

I think you're on the money there. McMahon (I rated as a player) from all accounts had a lot of bad habits from the Wallace and Rhode days. Power (who I didn't rate) was allowed to drift into some poor habits. Paddy Bowden, was a frustrating one b/c physically he had all of the ability. Again though, his early development through Wallace and Rhode meant that he only ever produced just enough - Eade worked him out pretty quick, Faulkner, was unlukcy with injury, but then again never developed the side to his game that Eade wanted.

Success stories, Hahn, really met Eade's challenge, Ray - has taken huge steps forward and for me is a guy that will step up in the next couple of years, Skipper - fringe player under Wallace and Rhode, but someone who Eade rates and who seems to listen and want to do the team things, Gilbee - nuff said on him really, Morris - same as gilbee, Boyd - a slow, bit part tagger under Rhode, who has developed into a rugged inside mid under Eade. To say eade doesn't develop players is wrong - what I think eade does do is set a challenging standard for the guys and some just fall by the wayside.