Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Bankers and Anchors- Round 20

Quote Originally Posted by SonofScray View Post
    BANKERS

1. Wallis. One of the great scragging performances today as far as I could tell from L3. Just buried himself into his opponents armpit and went to work all day to the point of exhaustion. Loved it. Sacrificing his own game and potentially his reputation by applying himself to the task given with dogged determination and a ruthless mindset. It has turned his form around.

Match-ups are difficult to tell from a radio call.

Who was Wallis playing on?
    The fight is here; I need ammunition, not a ride.

Post Thanks / Like

3. CFC. Just a shit stain of a club, cheating bastards. pathetic. We are worse for their existence.
    Like that.

Post Thanks / Like

2. Libba in general, but specifically for the free he gave away against Waite. Dumped him hard when the umpire would not stand up and take control of the situation. Leadership. Just announced himself as a man not to be messed with.
    I really liked it too. For a kid he has some serious strength. He pulled Waite off and dumped him with ease. Man, I love Libba.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dry Rot View Post
    Match-ups are difficult to tell from a radio call.

Who was Wallis playing on?
    He played on Marc Murphy.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by wse View Post
    He played on Marc Murphy.
    Thanks.

Given the flak Murphy is getting on Carlton forums, Wallis did an excellent job and a great scalp to get.

Has Wallis made Lower superfluous?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dry Rot View Post
    Thanks.

Given the flak Murphy is getting on Carlton forums, Wallis did an excellent job and a great scalp to get.

Has Wallis made Lower superfluous?
    Not at all. Lower was always a depth player not a walk up start to the best 22.

I hope Wallis isn't going to be a tagger for the balance of his his career. He should continue to evolve as a player.

I'm happy to have Lower on our list because he sets a standard for the younger players to follow.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

B:
    Roughead.....as accomplished a defender's game as I've seen him play...on a very good player in top form.
    Picken.....many were calling for his head several weeks back and not without good cause. His last few weeks have been the Picken of old.
    Grant.....how many times in the past have we been able to describe him as the most dangerous player on the ground?

A:
    Umpire picking out marginal free kicks from 60 metres away.
    Murphy getting free kicks for things that Griffen has put up with for years.
    Another disappointing turnout of bulldogs supporters. What will it take for supporters to make the effort to come and watch a team who are now providing value for money?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by always right View Post
    B:
    Another disappointing turnout of bulldogs supporters. What will it take for supporters to make the effort to come and watch a team who are now providing value for money?
    Personally I have never gone to away games. Going to the football ain't exactly cheap.

I'll go to all home games (in Melbourne) and very occasionally go to away games if there is a period where I can't go for a few weeks such as earlier in the year when we played in Darwin and there was quite a gap in between home games.

Out of interest do you go GA for both home and away?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by always right View Post
    B:
    Roughead.....as accomplished a defender's game as I've seen him play...on a very good player in top form.
    Picken.....many were calling for his head several weeks back and not without good cause. His last few weeks have been the Picken of old.
    Grant.....how many times in the past have we been able to describe him as the most dangerous player on the ground?

A:
    Umpire picking out marginal free kicks from 60 metres away.
    Murphy getting free kicks for things that Griffen has put up with for years.
    I see a Liam Picken who is completely new. He's never been the sort of player to get 27 touches off a flank, he's only ever been a serviceable tagger before now. He's come on in leaps and bounds the last month or so.

Good set of anchors there, I'll take them myself. That free which the secondary umpire picked out was beyond ridiculous - and I thought they couldn't get any worse, but then they pinged Murph for himself being jumper grabbed by Betts. You don't often see Murph abusing the umpire, that's when you know they've really cocked up. In general, the only reason the Blues were any sort of chance was because the umpires gave them about 10 clearance free kicks. Half through Murphy, half in the ruck duels.

Bankers:

Adam Cooney - just a delight to see him playing genuinely well again.
    Luke Dahlhaus - lifted his work rate back up recently and he's heading towards being an elite player of the competition.
    Tom Liberatore - this guy could be an amazing player. He's more than just a clearance king, he has great skills too.

EDIT: Actually if I was to give one original anchor, it would probably be Koby Stevens, he never looked settled with ball in hand and was even lazy occasionally with his disposal. Still has a lot to learn.
    'And the Western suburbs erupt!'

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BornAScragger View Post
    Bankers:

1. Tom “I Look Like Cooney” Young.
    2. Roughead being our Brian Lake.
    3. Libba for giving that free away sticking up for Pickles.

Honourable mention: Carlton fans for saving me the trouble of sticking it to the Blues players.

Anchors:

1. The goal posts for not getting into the right position until the second quarter and then trying to kill Campbell.
    2. Ben Ryan's centre bounces.
    3. Mrs. Griffen for not having twins.
    Love it.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by azabob View Post
    Personally I have never gone to away games. Going to the football ain't exactly cheap.

I'll go to all home games (in Melbourne) and very occasionally go to away games if there is a period where I can't go for a few weeks such as earlier in the year when we played in Darwin and there was quite a gap in between home games.

Out of interest do you go GA for both home and away?
    GA home & away. Once you add in replacement games etc it in't often I find myself having to buy a ticket. Games like yesterday, in a season like this are simply why you just shouldn't miss it. Great day out.

Post Thanks / Like

Just on the umpires. I found myself sitting in the Carlton end near the goals as I went with an old mate who's a Carlton supporter and his kids wanted to sit there. All the better to debate the merits of ROUGHEADS DOMINATION I guess . At one stage, the 10 or so moderately normal Carlton supporters surrounding us were forced to agree the goals score was OPSM 4, Carlton 5 and Bulldogs 10. Sometimes it's fun sitting with the enemy!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost Dog View Post
    Bankers

Luke Dahlhaus gives everything. His energy lifts those around him.

Grant - the flip side of being so laconic is he is extremely composed. A thinking man's footy player.

Midfield - not afraid to stick up for Liam - great work

Anchors - Goal kicking and as BAD said, delivery needs to be a bit cleaner.

I thought Bob was well held by Betts until he went off, and the difference was immediate. Maybe not an anchor Bob, just a small sinker, in the first half. Second half, no worries. Bob of old gold.
    Dal has been great the last month. He lifts the team a lot like the way Jake King lifts the tigers. In saying that Dal is a much better player than king.

Post Thanks / Like

BANKERS

Wallis - his gut running is setting the bar for what is expected.

Grant - he has found the work rate that gets him to the contest and the next contest after that. He looks like he belongs out there.

Young - I love this bloke. He never panics. I love his competitiveness.

ANCHORS

Umpires - Pfft, please there are two teams out there.

Goal kicking - we should of been 5 goals up at quarter time, and that's being modest.

Kicking into f50 - we are getting better at this, but we seem to always kick the ball to the defenders advantage more than ours.

Post Thanks / Like

Here are 3 bankers who flew under the radar:

1. Austin - based on today, he might be closer to making the senior list at the end of the year than many think.
    2. Stevens - not brilliant but consistent.
    3. Tutt - good sub role. Fresh and pacy.

Anchors:

1. Jones - played just ok but should have had a big one yesterday.
    2. Dickson, Dahlhaus, Addison, Cross, et al missing easy or gettable goals.
    3. Delivery on to the forward line still a work in progress.