Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Dogs Make List Changes

Really surprised about Lower, but it makes sense if Daniel Cross isn't offered a contract so why should Lower get one. Cross is a better player than Lower.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ratsmac View Post
    Really surprised about Lower, but it makes sense if Daniel Cross isn't offered a contract so why should Lower get one. Cross is a better player than Lower.
    Cross is a lot better than a few of our players but it's an age factor with him and also the young players who will play his role and need game time
    Bring back the biff

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by gogriff View Post
    If Cross & Lower are gone, but Gia & Boyd are staying on, is Brett Goodes in any danger?
    Goodes is playing a role in the back line. I would expect next year will be his last if someone else steps up into his role, but for now we need him.
    Last edited by bornadog; 04-09-2013 at 10:25 AM.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

With our VFL side up and running, why aren't we retaining some of these lesser players and offering them VFL contracts?
    WOOF Member 422

Post Thanks / Like

I like that we took Lower on because of his hardness and ability to fill that tagger role. He was there to cover a deficiency. It's no longer a deficiency, hence this decision. That's only good news for us.

I wish Lower all the best.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Scraggers View Post
    With our VFL side up and running, why aren't we retaining some of these lesser players and offering them VFL contracts?
    Who says we haven't?

Post Thanks / Like

Lower is a victim of our development racing ahead of him this season.

He is now behind Boyd, Smith, Wallis as the inside mid who can tag, behind Macrae, Hrovat, Hunter, Stevens as the other midfield options fighting for a place, and as a defender he doesn't get a game ahead of Goodes, JJ, Picken, Young and Wood.

I would also imagine Prudden will be higher priority than him next year, Pearce also possibly, and it isn't like the midfielders we draft will be pure outside types so he will fall behind them too.

Feel sorry for him as he seems to have done everything right and seems like a good clubman but I am happy that the club is making the hard calls.
    I should leave it alone but you're not right

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BornAScragger View Post
    I like that we took Lower on because of his hardness and ability to fill that tagger role. He was there to cover a deficiency. It's no longer a deficiency, hence this decision. That's only good news for us.

I wish Lower all the best.
    Lets face it it was a mistake. You really find it hard to criticise the club? I would have preferred to elevate someone like Jong to the main list.

At least the club had the guts to say we made a mistake.

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Lets face it it was a mistake. You really find it hard to criticise the club? I would have preferred to elevate someone like Jong to the main list.

Why didn't you tell us back in October last year that Wallis was going to become a gun defensive midfielder in the last 2 months of the season and that a Lower type wouldn't be required.

And while you're at it, what Tattslotto numbers should I pick this weekend?

We copped an injury to Boyd early in the year and Lower stood up to provide cover. He was recruited as depth which was required until Wallis' unforeseen emergence.

It won't go down as the greatest recruiting coup of all time but it's not a major mistake like you're interpreting it.
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    Players developed a lot quicker than every one thought. I think he was well worth the selection
    Agreed. Was a good pick up and played some good roles early in the season against some high level midfielders. The development of Clay Smith earlier in the year and Wallis in the latter part of the season, as well as Gia going around again probably forced the Clubs hand.

Given Crossy has also been playing a shutdown role whilst Wallis has been in the team, and Lower has the ability to play a similar role to Crossy, I was a bit surprised by this decision.

Hopefully we can see him involved with FFC in the VFL next season as I think he's a great influence to have around the club.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by comrade View Post
    Why didn't you tell us back in October last year that Wallis was going to become a gun defensive midfielder in the last 2 months of the season and that a Lower type wouldn't be required.

We copped an injury to Boyd early in the year and Lower stood up to provide cover. He was recruited as depth which was required until Wallis' unforeseen emergence.

It won't go down as the greatest recruiting coup of all time but it's not a major mistake like you're interpreting it.
    Yep.

We also got Lower as a free agent; ergo, after every other player that any club wanted had been picked by the club that wanted them. He might have not worked out, but he was literally one of, if not the last AFL player selected last year. It's not like we missed out on anyone better, and now that his spot on the list is gone, it's not like we ever will.
    - I'm a visionary - Only here to confirm my biases -

Post Thanks / Like

Ling Jong who broke his leg in round 1 and wasn't even close to senior selection this season? How would that have benefited us in any way?

Perhaps we have such clairvoyance that we predicted Jong would break his leg, Boyd would have early season injuries, but Wallis would unexpectedly develop into a gun tagger late in the season, so we recruited Lower for nothing for 1 season to cover the need for a mature run with player early in the year. That McCartney is a genius!

And on the positive side for the first time in years we didn't piss decent draft pick up against the wall recruiting a mature recycled player such as Sherman, McDougal, Djerrkura
    Western Bulldogs: We exist to win premierships

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by comrade View Post
    What has this got to do with anything. If you look at my comments in the Nick Lower fan club thread I questioned this appointment then. I have not said its a MAJOR mistake.

Quote Originally Posted by Greystache View Post
    Ling Jong who broke his leg in round 1 and wasn't even close to senior selection this season? How would that have benefited us in any way?

Perhaps we have such clairvoyance that we predicted Jong would break his leg, Boyd would have early season injuries, but Wallis would unexpectedly develop into a gun tagger late in the season, so we recruited Lower for nothing for 1 season to cover the need for a mature run with player early in the year. That McCartney is a genius!

And on the positive side for the first time in years we didn't piss decent draft pick up against the wall recruiting a mature recycled player such as Sherman, McDougal, Djerrkura
    Again my questioning of the recruitment decision is based on my thoughts at the start of the year not clairvoyance. Although we say we got Lower for nothing, he still took up a spot on the list.

I commend the club for admitting they got it wrong and we move on.

Post Thanks / Like

What has this got to do with anything. If you look at my comments in the Nick Lower fan club thread I questioned this appointment then. I have not said its a MAJOR mistake.

Again my questioning of the recruitment decision is based on my thoughts at the start of the year not clairvoyance. Although we say we got Lower for nothing, he still took up a spot on the list.

I commend the club for admitting they got it wrong and we move on.
    I don't think they got it wrong BAD. No one knew that the improvement in our youngsters would be so pronounced. Nick Lower was a good selection at the time and was needed but unfortunately now he is not.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog4life View Post
    I don't think they got it wrong BAD. No one knew that the improvement in our youngsters would be so pronounced. Nick Lower was a good selection at the time and was needed but unfortunately now he is not.
    Sorry don't agree. The guy is 25 years old and was worth recruiting at the start of the year and now he is no good because he is too one dimensional and can't play another role?