Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Dogs Make List Changes

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Sorry don't agree. The guy is 25 years old and was worth recruiting at the start of the year and now he is no good because he is too one dimensional and can't play another role?
    This No one knew that the improvement in our youngsters would be so pronounced
    Unfortunately that is why Crossy too is no longer with us.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog4life View Post
    This No one knew that the improvement in our youngsters would be so pronounced
    Unfortunately that is why Crossy too is no longer with us.
    In a development period we need young players to fill roles.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Sorry don't agree. The guy is 25 years old and was worth recruiting at the start of the year and now he is no good because he is too one dimensional and can't play another role?
    Agree, should never have drafted him. Why didn't we just rotate our kids - now we look like the pricks who got rid of him after one year, after he moved here from W.A. We had enough kids to rotate through the midfield and we had enough quality to go through there too (Cross, Boyd (when fit), Gia, Dahl, Griffen and Cooney (for stints). We knew Libba would play there most of this year and we seemed to be persisting with Smith and Wally there too. I don't see a reason why we drafted Lower to be honest, especially since we delisted Moles at the end of 2012.
    But then again, I'm an Internet poster and Bevo is a premiership coach so draw your own conclusions.

Post Thanks / Like

In a development period we need young players to fill roles.
    Disagree - in a development period we need gap players to fill roles until our young players are ready. Lower has done his job and Goodes is doing his.

You could argue that Marko did his too, considering he covered for Lake and managed a top ten B&F finish, although unlike the other two he cost us a main list spot.

Even Austin seems to be a decent rookie pick up given I don't rate Williams' chances of becoming a regular senior player (brittle)
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

A Ford Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog4life View Post
    This No one knew that the improvement in our youngsters would be so pronounced.
    Who would have thought young players get better?
    And who would have thought a 25yo journey man wouldn't have got better?
    Mistake recruitment in anyone's book

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mofra View Post
    Disagree - in a development period we need gap players to fill roles until our young players are ready. Lower has done his job and Goodes is doing his.

You could argue that Marko did his too, considering he covered for Lake and managed a top ten B&F finish, although unlike the other two he cost us a main list spot.

Even Austin seems to be a decent rookie pick up given I don't rate Williams' chances of becoming a regular senior player (brittle)
    We had enough experienced midfield depth to cover our young brigade.

Lower is a tagger, Picken was being thrown back and forward and all over the place this year and was wasted for large parts of it for mine. He could have played Lower's role just as well if not better IMO.
    But then again, I'm an Internet poster and Bevo is a premiership coach so draw your own conclusions.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 1eyedog View Post
    We had enough experienced midfield depth to cover our young brigade.

Lower is a tagger, Picken was being thrown back and forward and all over the place this year and was wasted for large parts of it for mine. He could have played Lower's role just as well if not better IMO.
    Lower did allow us to experiment with Picken a little and find out a little more about him.

Nick also provided some cover that allowed us to rest young bodies.

I think he was a good choice that helped our development and just allowed quicker path in that development. He has simply become surplus to requirement a year earlier than expected but, he can pursue opportunites elsewhere.

I am sure the club would be happy to give him a game at VFL level if a better opportunity does not arise.
    Life is to be Enjoyed not Endured

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mofra View Post

Well said Mofra and completely agree. Lower did his job this year, set the bar early and the kids stepped up to the challenge. Getting games by default or just pumping games into players because their young doesn't always help development. Recruiting players young or experienced isn't just black and white. Surprising to see so many short sited.

Post Thanks / Like

Lets face it it was a mistake. You really find it hard to criticise the club? I would have preferred to elevate someone like Jong to the main list.

At least the club had the guts to say we made a mistake.
    No, I just don't go second-guessing professionals. They gave us the reason he was drafted and it was a solid one. Just because we don't need him any more does it mean we should never have drafted him? Of course not.

I think sometimes people forget that we're all just keyboard warriors. Sure, there are some here with various levels of expertise and access, but for the most part, without any glaring mistakes we should back the club as much as we can.

Post Thanks / Like

I commend the club for admitting they got it wrong and we move on.
    Nobody at the club has “admitted” they got it wrong. Get over it.

A Ford Guest

If Lower's role/job was to take the place of someone that might have made it then he succeeded.

Post Thanks / Like

Who seriously gives a toss whether the club got it right ir wrong with Lower? Seriously we are going to continue to make many more mistakes but also succeed with draft picks and trades just like every other club...just like upgrading Mulligan for some strange reason, was baffling at the time and was a mistake, we continue on.

Post Thanks / Like

I don't believe it was a mistake as it was pointed out we got him for zip and he played senior football that's a plus in a lot of cases.
    Bring back the biff

Post Thanks / Like

Surely the Vez one was a bigger mistake than Lower?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MrMahatma View Post
    Surely the Vez one was a bigger mistake than Lower?
    The biggest mistake with Vez was keeping him on the list the past few years.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.