Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Dogs Make List Changes

Quote Originally Posted by A Ford View Post
    Only if you don't value draft picks and spots on the list can you say he cost us nothing.
    It was low risk and therefore low return.
    Why can't it be admitted it was a mistake?
    Didn't we enter the season one short on the main list anyway?

He didn't cost us a draft pick.
    More of an In Bruges guy?

Post Thanks / Like

Only if you don't value draft picks and spots on the list can you say he cost us nothing.

Probably because it wasn't a mistake. They had a plan on how they wanted to use him but as other younger players came on a lot quicker than expected.
    Pro-active list management I would have thought.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

I'd rather 1 year of Lower on the list than 5 years of Mulligan, or 3 years of Panos, or 4 years of Hooper, or 4 years of Moles...you get the picture.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sedat View Post
    I'd rather 1 year of Lower on the list than 5 years of Mulligan, or 3 years of Panos, or 4 years of Hooper, or 4 years of Moles...you get the picture.
    As I said earlier I commend the club for making the decision to delist. This is the value of a list manager.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Bingo - I see it as Lower being picked for what would have been anticipated as a 2 year role, Wallis' rise made him redundant after one - and even then it would have been a relatively close call.

GWS took McDonald, Brogan and Cornes - were they wasted picks too?
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

Post Thanks / Like

We're going in circles here, but I do want to throw the question back at you: Why does it have to be viewed as a mistake? Why are you so keen to highlight the folly of the decision with the benefit of hindsight, without looking at the decision in the context of the period it was made and the perceived state of the club at that time?

If it was a mistake (and I don't believe it was) it was the right mistake to make.

Post Thanks / Like

I'd rather 1 year of Lower on the list than 4 years of Moles...you get the picture.
    Moles was worthwhile if for nothing else but introducing the world to his fantastic twitter account.
    - I'm a visionary - Only here to confirm my biases -

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Happy Days View Post
    Moles was worthwhile if for nothing else but introducing the world to his fantastic twitter account.
    He also made everyone's favourite whipping boy in Nathan Eagleton look like a courageous inside ball winner by comparison too.
    Western Bulldogs: We exist to win premierships

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mofra View Post
    Bingo - I see it as Lower being picked for what would have been anticipated as a 2 year role, Wallis' rise made him redundant after one - and even then it would have been a relatively close call.

GWS took McDonald, Brogan and Cornes - were they wasted picks too?
    With a whole team of kids? Of course not! We were not in the same position as GWS in terms of the number of kids vs the number of experienced personnel we had at the club.
    But then again, I'm an Internet poster and Bevo is a premiership coach so draw your own conclusions.

Post Thanks / Like

If you see the team as constantly in development / improvement phase, then it stands to reason that you will get players who improve faster than others and who are superseded by others. As players are developed and screened against the best opposition, we see their weaknesses and whether they can learn and overcome them. Video sessions with the coach.......competition with their team mates. It's natural progression. It's hitting the ceiling for some; it's exponential growth for others.

In such a world it is entirely feasible that we trade in players who are excellent choices at the time, but who are replaced by others whose trajectory is much greater. It is not a mistake - but what it shows is that we are improving such that players who used to get a game no longer can.

Take Tory Dickson for example. I am a fan of his because I think he does a lot of unrecognised work. I think he has been great for the team, given the injury he suffered. But if I was honest with myself, I'd have to say that, unless he makes further progress and works on his weaknesses, I would not expect him to be in a grand final team. I would have thought other players - either by being traded in or through natural growth - would have taken his place.

At the start of the journey we therefore need players like Lower who provide that competition. If we weren't improving he would still be getting a game.

It's how I see us getting to be a premiership side. The gradual but continuous lifting of the bar making it harder and harder to get a game.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 1eyedog View Post
    With a whole team of kids? Of course not! We were not in the same position as GWS in terms of the number of kids vs the number of experienced personnel we had at the club.
    You sure about that?

Post Thanks / Like

FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BornAScragger View Post
    You sure about that?

GWS;

200+ games - Chad Cornes (Did Chad even play this year?) Include McDonald if you want.
    150-200 games - Bret Thornton (only played 1 game), Dean Bogan
    100-150 games- Gilham
    =4 (2 of which played 1 game or less)

Bulldogs;

200+ games Gia, Boyd, Cross, Murphy
    150-200 games- Cooney, Griffen, Minson and Morris
    100-150 games - Picken, Higgins.
    =10 (8 of which have played over 150 games).

Yeah, pretty sure.
    But then again, I'm an Internet poster and Bevo is a premiership coach so draw your own conclusions.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 1eyedog View Post
    We were not too dissimilar, and we got 13 games out of a guy who didn't cost us a draft pick and constantly flew the flag for the younger kids on the paddock.

I'd take 12 months of Lower over the majority of our late round draft picks - heck, I'd take 12 months of Lower over most of Clayton's first rounders!
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

A Ford Guest

Clayton's first rounders were once rated. Lower never was.