Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Dogs Make List Changes

Quote Originally Posted by Mofra View Post
    We were not too dissimilar, and we got 13 games out of a guy who didn't cost us a draft pick and constantly flew the flag for the younger kids on the paddock.

I'd take 12 months of Lower over the majority of our late round draft picks - heck, I'd take 12 months of Lower over most of Clayton's first rounders!
    The reason I have felt that Lower was not required was because he was never a long term pick. I would have preferred us to pick a kid who will be around longer than 13 games, someone would could develop. I cannot buy into this, he was needed while others developed. The young guys were always going to develop as they gained experienced. In fact we had Cross who could help them develop, but instead we told Cross he is no longer in the best 22 and only came back when Boyd was injured. What better inside player than Cross to help develop young midfielders, someone that sets an example.

You can spin it how you want, but Lower was not required and now gone because he is not up to it.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    The reason I have felt that Lower was not required was because he was never a long term pick. I would have preferred us to pick a kid who will be around longer than 13 games, someone would could develop. I cannot buy into this, he was needed while others developed. The young guys were always going to develop as they gained experienced. In fact we had Cross who could help them develop, but instead we told Cross he is no longer in the best 22 and only came back when Boyd was injured. What better inside player than Cross to help develop young midfielders, someone that sets an example.

You can spin it how you want, but Lower was not required and now gone because he is not up to it.
    What was that about going around in circles?

Nice little dig relating to "spin" as well - at least some of are mature enough to accept other people will have opinions that differ to ours.
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by A Ford View Post
    Clayton's first rounders were once rated. Lower never was.
    Tim Walsh?

If we kept Lower for an extra year would it change opinions? If Wallis had developed less rapidly I would expect Lower to have been kept for an extra year, ditto if Wallis had foudn a different role in the side.

Lower & Cross don't really compare for mine either - Crossy simply doesn't tag because he lacks the footspeed.

To me Lower was brought in for the same reason we took Goodes; the person to fill that spot needs to step up and earn it. Wallis did, nobody has taken Goodes' spot yet. As much as I have a soft spot for Goodes, part of me wants us to take Docherty from Brisbane and his development see Goodes' spot be made redundant.

A Ford Guest

Tim Walsh?

If we kept Lower for an extra year would it change opinions? If Wallis had developed less rapidly I would expect Lower to have been kept for an extra year, ditto if Wallis had foudn a different role in the side.

Lower & Cross don't really compare for mine either - Crossy simply doesn't tag because he lacks the footspeed.

To me Lower was brought in for the same reason we took Goodes; the person to fill that spot needs to step up and earn it. Wallis did, nobody has taken Goodes' spot yet. As much as I have a soft spot for Goodes, part of me wants us to take Docherty from Brisbane and his development see Goodes' spot be made redundant.
    Tim Walsh yes. He was rated at 17yo, maybe a highly at pick 4 but still a talented junior and a chance of making it. Didn't make it just like Lower.
    Maybe if we got Lower at 17. He was 25 and twice delisted already and we knew he was a tagger at best.

To me Goodes was taken 4 years to late and at 29 doesn't make for Howard mistake.

Post Thanks / Like

Exactly Mofra.

By midway next year I'd like to see someone like Goodes forced out of the side by a hungrier younger player. Weather it's a player we trade for or growth from the inside it's what I'd like to see. These players set a bar and show what's required to make it into the team. I don't like the idea of playing someone by default. See Melbourne for the results of that philosophy.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by A Ford View Post
    Clayton's first rounders were once rated. Lower never was.
    Nick was a second round selection when he was drafted by Port.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by G-Mo77 View Post
    By midway next year I'd like to see someone like Goodes forced out of the side by a hungrier younger player. Weather it's a player we trade for or growth from the inside it's what I'd like to see. These players set a bar and show what's required to make it into the team. I don't like the idea of playing someone by default. See Melbourne for the results of that philosophy.
    I think that's the rub - nobody, including young players, should just be gifted games. Everyone on the list should be made to earn it and if that means young kids have to wait an extra year until the physically mature, and then push a senior player out of the way, then so be it.

Most Geelong players seem to get a very limited run in the seniors in the first year they are drafted and are made to earn their debuts, I think that's the way to go.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Griffen#16 View Post
    Nick was a second round selection when he was drafted by Port.
    Freo also agreed to re-draft him if he wanted. A now top four side wanted to keep him on their list for depth.

Post Thanks / Like

What was that about going around in circles?

Nice little dig relating to "spin" as well - at least some of are mature enough to accept other people will have opinions that differ to ours.
    I can't accept that.

Post Thanks / Like

Can anyone tell us ANYTHING about Ben Brown from Werribee? Saw him at club yesterday. Big Tall lad with shock of red curly hair.. maybe a possible draft selection????

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by OLD SCRAGGer View Post
    Can anyone tell us ANYTHING about Ben Brown from Werribee? Saw him at club yesterday. Big Tall lad with shock of red curly hair.. maybe a possible draft selection????
    I'm not going to be much help but he has been mentioned on a thread somewhere on WOOF. Perhaps do a search with Key Words Ben Brown.
    More of an In Bruges guy?

Post Thanks / Like

Have heard a few good things about him, but gee he would want to play a hell of a lot better than he did last weekend. It was a seriously ordinary performance, even in a winning side.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by paulv View Post
    Have heard a few good things about him, but gee he would want to play a hell of a lot better than he did last weekend. It was a seriously ordinary performance, even in a winning side.
    Yes Paul only got 6 possessions.

Post Thanks / Like

He is very raw , very skinny. Would take him as a rookie at best.
    Bring back the biff

Post Thanks / Like

The Lower delisting for me is interesting for a number of reasons

Firstly, the thing that became apparent to me in the first part of this year was that we could not play Boyd, Wallis, Cross and Lower all in the same team. In modern footy you just cant have too many guys that arent playmakers, and dont hurt the opposition with the ball in hand. Wallis seems to be able to accumulate more of the footy than Lower could in that role and is sharper by hand, and found ways to sneak forward and kick a few goals.

Secondly, I'm delighted we made a swift decision in the clubs best interests - we made superb decisions last year on Skinner and DJ, since the McCartneys have been together we've made excellent decisions about the list.