Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Poor Ol' Richmond

Suppose it goes to show how tight things are in the second half of the eight, and in the ladder spots between nine and twelve.

Carlton aren't a particularly good side, nor are Richmond. Today's result isn't a surprise, as any team in positions between five and twelve could have won against each other today.

I really couldn't care less about the feelings of the Tiger army. They are too good at getting ahead of themselves, and their team is over-hyped as well as over-exposed without deserving it.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post
    Suppose it goes to show how tight things are in the second half of the eight, and in the ladder spots between nine and twelve.

Carlton aren't a particularly good side, nor are Richmond. Today's result isn't a surprise, as any team in positions between five and twelve could have won against each other today.

I really couldn't care less about the feelings of the Tiger army. They are too good at getting ahead of themselves, and their team is over-hyped as well as over-exposed without deserving it.
    What annoys me is we would have beaten them both, sydney are hurting, we would have gone up there and shook the tree bigtime....#BulldogsWildcard....Freo would smack us to kingdom come though...

Post Thanks / Like

Have to agree Jeemak. I think their still has a hangover from Terry Wallace or something odd goes on with their culture: unbalanced list. Port were an absolute rabble under Primus and look how far they have come in such a short time. Compare that with Richmond, who've been on the slow boat for years.
    Must give them black and yellow shits to see Jay Schultz taking hangers and booting dead straight shots for goal.
    You don't develop courage by being happy in your relationships every day. You develop it by surviving difficult times and challenging adversity. ― Epicurus

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by anfo27 View Post
    Yeah your right Remi, too much made about it. In the end they should be happy with the progress they have made this season but as today shows they have a long way to go to take another step forward and be a genuine finals team.
    Heard a Carlton fan saying the Tiges had drums and music outside the G..
    Fair to say the Tiges played their Grand Final

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost Dog View Post
    Have to agree Jeemak. I think their still has a hangover from Terry Wallace or something odd goes on with their culture: unbalanced list. Port were an absolute rabble under Primus and look how far they have come in such a short time. Compare that with Richmond, who've been on the slow boat for years.
    Must give them black and yellow shits to see Jay Schultz taking hangers and booting dead straight shots for goal.
    I probably don't need to remind you or anyone on this board how easy it is to get home from a final disappointed.

2008 and 2009 qualifying finals were pretty much the low light for me of our 2008-2010 periods. In the former, we were stunned and shell shocked from the first bounce, and were made to look completely soft and inept by Hawthorn, while against the Cats in the latter we let a team get a run of goals while we were sleeping early on, and then didn't take our opportunities to win the game later in the piece.

Can we say that these disappointments were the results of club cultural issues? You could probably make a decent argument either way.

I didn't see the game today, so it's hard for me to put much into the debate one way or another. I just know that Richmond were always a developing side who got the better of enough games to sit above a bunch of teams just as good as them to make the finals. They lost today, so be it.

Post Thanks / Like

I probably don't need to remind you or anyone on this board how easy it is to get home from a final disappointed.

2008 and 2009 qualifying finals were pretty much the low light for me of our 2008-2010 periods. In the former, we were stunned and shell shocked from the first bounce, and were made to look completely soft and inept by Hawthorn, while against the Cats in the latter we let a team get a run of goals while we were sleeping early on, and then didn't take our opportunities to win the game later in the piece.

Can we say that these disappointments were the results of club cultural issues? You could probably make a decent argument either way.

I didn't see the game today, so it's hard for me to put much into the debate one way or another. I just know that Richmond were always a developing side who got the better of enough games to sit above a bunch of teams just as good as them to make the finals. They lost today, so be it.
    Their midfield has had double page spreads written about it. They were gifted goals by Carlton yesterday with repeat 50m penalties. Ahead by 5 goals, they just couldn't hang in there, and the midfield seems to be their shortcoming.
    Last edited by Ghost Dog; 09-09-2013 at 07:51 AM.
    You don't develop courage by being happy in your relationships every day. You develop it by surviving difficult times and challenging adversity. ― Epicurus

Post Thanks / Like

Just goes to show that for every silky, fast midfielder you need a bloke who'll kill himself at the contest. You need the balance. We all jump on the wagon of the flashy type, and lambast the tough, uncomprising but lesser skilled. Richmond have too many of the one type. That's all.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost Dog View Post
    Sedat, you just about named this list of players in the past as those who would be the undoing of Richmond. And here we have it.
    I also said that Patrick Bowden's move to CHB halfway through the 2005 season would be the making of him

I don't think I've ever been more certain of anything than Jack Riewoldt having a stinker yesterday. What comes naturally for him is to be the top dog, the man, the head banana, and to expect his teammates to give him the silver service each and every time. When he 'plays' the team game, it looks forced and contrived - you can tell he hates doing it. When the intensity and pressure ramps up dramatically in September, and when free space is significantly reduced, you need players that impact on the contest and fight and scrap for their team as if their lives depend on it. You don't need players who go in half-assed, don't work hard enough, don't fully buy in to the team ethic, and stand there sulking when it isn't delivered lace-out (it rarely is in September).

Deledio is the other player who was terribly disappointing for Richmond yesterday. He is a supremely gifted footballer and athlete, but he simply doesn't crave the contested situation - never has. His job yesterday was to make sure his direct opponent was kept in check, and then to run off him and provide damaging rebound drive. Big fail on both counts. I doubt there are any poor fools out there (even Richmond supporters) who still think Deledio is a better footballer than Griffen.

Post Thanks / Like

Sedat, they will always think he is better than Griff. #delusional.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sedat View Post
    Deledio is the other player who was terribly disappointing for Richmond yesterday. He is a supremely gifted footballer and athlete, but he simply doesn't crave the contested situation - never has. His job yesterday was to make sure his direct opponent was kept in check, and then to run off him and provide damaging rebound drive. Big fail on both counts. I doubt there are any poor fools out there (even Richmond supporters) who still think Deledio is a better footballer than Griffen.
    Agree with this. I thought Deledio was the biggest disappointment for the tigers. Simply has no ability to impose himself on a contest. Has great skills but if it wasn't for his pace he would struggle to get a kick. Duigan kicked four on him. Duigan FFS!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Maddog37 View Post
    Sedat, they will always think he is better than Griff. #delusional.
    Was speaking to a Richmond supporter on Saturday night at the pub. I only just met him and he mentioned that Griffen is a gun, better than any player at Richmond.
    But then again, I'm an Internet poster and Bevo is a premiership coach so draw your own conclusions.

Post Thanks / Like

I was happy Carlton won, my Mum is Carlton. I was also happy to not have my Facebook newsfeed full of bandwagon Richmond barrackers bleating about 'yellow & black'.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sedat View Post
    . Big fail on both counts. I doubt there are any poor fools out there (even Richmond supporters) who still think Deledio is a better footballer than Griffen.
    I think someone needs to ring up SEN and ask KB who is the better of the two.
    More of an In Bruges guy?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by azabob View Post
    I think someone needs to ring up SEN and ask KB who is the better of the two.
    Ha ha. I heard during the week he tipped Richmond to win by 97 points approx.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 1eyedog View Post
    Was speaking to a Richmond supporter on Saturday night at the pub. I only just met him and he mentioned that Griffen is a gun, better than any player at Richmond.
    The exception to prove the rule!