Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post
I watch Premier League Football for the reason it's done its best to stamp out diving or "simulation" (isn't it completely ridiculous that a code will call diving something other than diving?) from the game or the culture of the game. I can't watch International Football these days, as it seems this behavior is rewarded too often.

I can honestly say that when playing Aussie Rules I faked for a free kick feigning a high hit once, and I felt completely silly doing it at the time even though I was awarded a shot on goal......which I subsequently missed. The thing that stuck with me from that, was the lack of respect I received from those at the ground watching the game, those I was testing myself against and probably the umpire that called the free who in hindsight would have known he was conned.

If players want to be treated with respect and fairly by those officiating the game, they need to have a mindset where they don't make the job of umpires harder than it has to be. Everybody acknowledges umpiring an AFL game is tough work, and everybody gets frustrated when they are infringed upon when they are going hard for the ball and have a case to be rewarded, but don't. So with this in mind, habitual diving irrespective of how many free kicks a player didn't get when deserved is something that should be completely discouraged.

I don't like the idea of pushing the umpires and the rules to their limits if it's not in the spirit of the game. Undermining the good will of those on the field around you, the umpires and the fans through diving falls into this category.

Just like every issue with the rules of the game, it needs to be looked at not only from a technical point of view, but also a pragmatic one. Since umpires have been encouraged to pay all free kicks that are technically there, can anyone say the game has actually gotten better and more enjoyable to watch?

Stop rewarding the diving. Diving is shit.
Great post, and you're dead right — soccer is a fine example of what happens when you don't stamp it out early enough.