Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: The diving Riewoldts

Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post
    I watch Premier League Football for the reason it's done its best to stamp out diving or "simulation" (isn't it completely ridiculous that a code will call diving something other than diving?) from the game or the culture of the game. I can't watch International Football these days, as it seems this behavior is rewarded too often.

I can honestly say that when playing Aussie Rules I faked for a free kick feigning a high hit once, and I felt completely silly doing it at the time even though I was awarded a shot on goal......which I subsequently missed. The thing that stuck with me from that, was the lack of respect I received from those at the ground watching the game, those I was testing myself against and probably the umpire that called the free who in hindsight would have known he was conned.

If players want to be treated with respect and fairly by those officiating the game, they need to have a mindset where they don't make the job of umpires harder than it has to be. Everybody acknowledges umpiring an AFL game is tough work, and everybody gets frustrated when they are infringed upon when they are going hard for the ball and have a case to be rewarded, but don't. So with this in mind, habitual diving irrespective of how many free kicks a player didn't get when deserved is something that should be completely discouraged.

I don't like the idea of pushing the umpires and the rules to their limits if it's not in the spirit of the game. Undermining the good will of those on the field around you, the umpires and the fans through diving falls into this category.

Just like every issue with the rules of the game, it needs to be looked at not only from a technical point of view, but also a pragmatic one. Since umpires have been encouraged to pay all free kicks that are technically there, can anyone say the game has actually gotten better and more enjoyable to watch?

Stop rewarding the diving. Diving is shit.
    Great post, and you're dead right — soccer is a fine example of what happens when you don't stamp it out early enough.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post
    I watch Premier League Football for the reason it's done its best to stamp out diving or "simulation" (isn't it completely ridiculous that a code will call diving something other than diving?) from the game or the culture of the game. I can't watch International Football these days, as it seems this behavior is rewarded too often.

I can honestly say that when playing Aussie Rules I faked for a free kick feigning a high hit once, and I felt completely silly doing it at the time even though I was awarded a shot on goal......which I subsequently missed. The thing that stuck with me from that, was the lack of respect I received from those at the ground watching the game, those I was testing myself against and probably the umpire that called the free who in hindsight would have known he was conned.

If players want to be treated with respect and fairly by those officiating the game, they need to have a mindset where they don't make the job of umpires harder than it has to be. Everybody acknowledges umpiring an AFL game is tough work, and everybody gets frustrated when they are infringed upon when they are going hard for the ball and have a case to be rewarded, but don't. So with this in mind, habitual diving irrespective of how many free kicks a player didn't get when deserved is something that should be completely discouraged.

I don't like the idea of pushing the umpires and the rules to their limits if it's not in the spirit of the game. Undermining the good will of those on the field around you, the umpires and the fans through diving falls into this category.

Just like every issue with the rules of the game, it needs to be looked at not only from a technical point of view, but also a pragmatic one. Since umpires have been encouraged to pay all free kicks that are technically there, can anyone say the game has actually gotten better and more enjoyable to watch?

Stop rewarding the diving. Diving is shit.
    Umpires are human and players are good at diving, difficult to provide a template for the decision making processes around it.

If there was 2 minutes left on the clock and I was 30 metres out in a Grand Final and my club had not won a Granny since 1954 I would fall forward at the slightest hint of contact to the back. I would expect every player playing for my team to do the same if there was no hope of winning the ball and scoring in that situation.

I don't have a problem with diving really, Johnno was a great diver, if it gets the team a goal that contributes to the four points. If Riewoldt had of pushed Lake over in front of goal in the last quarter and Lake took a dive and kicked a goal that set up a Grand Final berth I would be pretty happy about it.

Fact of the matter is players always have and always will milk free kicks, even the best ones. It is part of the game.
    But then again, I'm an Internet poster and Bevo is a premiership coach so draw your own conclusions.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 1eyedog View Post
    Umpires are human and players are good at diving, difficult to provide a template for the decision making processes around it.

If there was 2 minutes left on the clock and I was 30 metres out in a Grand Final and my club had not won a Granny since 1954 I would fall forward at the slightest hint of contact to the back. I would expect every player playing for my team to do the same if there was no hope of winning the ball and scoring in that situation.

I don't have a problem with diving really, Johnno was a great diver, if it gets the team a goal that contributes to the four points. If Riewoldt had of pushed Lake over in front of goal in the last quarter and Lake took a dive and kicked a goal that set up a Grand Final berth I would be pretty happy about it.

Fact of the matter is players always have and always will milk free kicks, even the best ones. It is part of the game.
    It's a slippery slope. If you're happy to do that to win a flag, would you be happy to perhaps push the boundaries of your supplements program?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BornAScragger View Post
    It's a slippery slope. If you're happy to do that to win a flag, would you be happy to perhaps push the boundaries of your supplements program?
    No unlike the Bombres I wouldn't. Taking a dive will not incur the wrath of ASADA/WADA. Taking a dive would be an immediate decision taken by a player who is inclined to do so, in the heat of the moment.

Developing a controversial supplements program is a management decision made over and set up over many months.

All you get for diving is a free kick and the wrath of opposition fans calling you p&^% weak. You get $2,000,000 fines, suspensions and loss of draft picks for developing controversial supplements programs.

It really is astounding to me that the Bombres went down this path and I hope ASADA continue to make them pay.
    But then again, I'm an Internet poster and Bevo is a premiership coach so draw your own conclusions.