Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: MVP Awards

Post Thanks / Like

Re: MVP Awards

Quote Originally Posted by Scraggers View Post
    Did i read somewhere that Matty Boyd won an award last night?
    Education Award.

Libba named in the best under 22.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Education Award.

Libba named in the best under 22.
    Cheers
    WOOF Member 422

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Scorlibo View Post
    The MVP awards are a joke, players simply go on media hearsay.
    Are you suggesting that Ablett is only unanimously the players MVP because of media hearsay!?

He's voted clearly the best - becuase he is clearly the best player, and was the best player this year again. I highly doubt the media would have ranked Roughead 3rd either.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ozza View Post
    Are you suggesting that Ablett is only unanimously the players MVP because of media hearsay!?

He's voted clearly the best - becuase he is clearly the best player, and was the best player this year again. I highly doubt the media would have ranked Roughead 3rd either.
    Nothing to do with Ablett taking it out, a deserving winner of any individual award this year.

Re: Roughead third, it doesn't surprise me given he's the Coleman Medal winner.
    'And the Western suburbs erupt!'

Post Thanks / Like

As mentioned Matty Boyd won the education award.

He finished his MBA this year.

http://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/ne...ducation-award

Post Thanks / Like

Not something I've ever said.

It reflects the media consensus. That doesn't mean it's always wrong, just that it's founded on a farcical basis. The same as copying the answer of the person next to you in a test, the answer could well be correct but the method of arriving at that answer is wrong and doesn't teach you anything.
    You honestly believe players don't watch other games? Or that they don't pay attention to opposition players? Or that they've little judgement on teammates?

Tell him he's dreaming Darryl.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BornAScragger View Post
    You honestly believe players don't watch other games? Or that they don't pay attention to opposition players? Or that they've little judgement on teammates?

Tell him he's dreaming Darryl.
    You seem to assume that every player is as much a footy head as everyone on this forum. They enjoy playing and they're part of the discourse of the game but for every Bob Murphy there are players like Will Minson or Brodie Grundy who have many other, more pressing interests. What I find interesting is hearing from some of the individual players who the best player they've played on was/is. The answer is nearly always something you didn't entirely expect. Bob Murphy for example, who would have played on some of the best forwards, backs and wingmen in his time says that Ryan O'Keefe is the best he's played on. That's something which interests me, not what the popular opinion of players is on who is the best in the game at the minute.

As for opposition players, I know from playing the game myself that you never pay too much attention to the opposition - your focus is on what your team is doing right or wrong, and what you're doing in the moment. As a forward I would be leading back and forth, often wrestling with my opponent or with my back to the play. Asked which opposition players were playing well I wouldn't have much of a clue unless one of their big forwards had kicked a bag. An independent observer would always follow the game more closely. I've had this same conversation about the MVP award with other friends who have played club footy and they agree that it's very difficult to get an idea of who has been the best and fairest of the league for the season simply by playing every game.

Post Thanks / Like

Im going to guess here that you didnt have meeting upon meeting of watching video tape of your upcoming opposition. If anything the players opinion is clouded by other players and their coaches.

The players would have very little respect for the media.

Post Thanks / Like

You seem to assume that every player is as much a footy head as everyone on this forum. They enjoy playing and they're part of the discourse of the game but for every Bob Murphy there are players like Will Minson or Brodie Grundy who have many other, more pressing interests. What I find interesting is hearing from some of the individual players who the best player they've played on was/is. The answer is nearly always something you didn't entirely expect. Bob Murphy for example, who would have played on some of the best forwards, backs and wingmen in his time says that Ryan O'Keefe is the best he's played on. That's something which interests me, not what the popular opinion of players is on who is the best in the game at the minute.

As for opposition players, I know from playing the game myself that you never pay too much attention to the opposition - your focus is on what your team is doing right or wrong, and what you're doing in the moment. As a forward I would be leading back and forth, often wrestling with my opponent or with my back to the play. Asked which opposition players were playing well I wouldn't have much of a clue unless one of their big forwards had kicked a bag. An independent observer would always follow the game more closely. I've had this same conversation about the MVP award with other friends who have played club footy and they agree that it's very difficult to get an idea of who has been the best and fairest of the league for the season simply by playing every game.
    Why did you have to shit on an award designed to recognise the best player when the best player won it? Just seems like wasted motion.
    - I'm a visionary - Only here to confirm my biases -

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Topdog View Post
    Im going to guess here that you didnt have meeting upon meeting of watching video tape of your upcoming opposition. If anything the players opinion is clouded by other players and their coaches.

The players would have very little respect for the media.
    That's true but the coaches/players won't be making the best player comparisons that the media frequently take part in. They'll review matches so that they outline the dangerous players within opposition teams but not with respect to the wider competition.

Whether they respect the media or not is irrelevant, the media create the discourse, the discourse informs the popular opinion. Just like at election time.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Happy Days View Post
    Why did you have to shit on an award designed to recognise the best player when the best player won it? Just seems like wasted motion.
    I used the example of getting the right result in a maths exam by peeking at someone else's work. You're correct, but you learn nothing. Results mean nothing if the process of achieving them is corrupt.

Seems like I'm rehashing some old argument here though, so I won't say any more except for... this award is nothing more than a media consensus - in my view.

Post Thanks / Like

That's true but the coaches/players won't be making the best player comparisons that the media frequently take part in. They'll review matches so that they outline the dangerous players within opposition teams but not with respect to the wider competition.

Whether they respect the media or not is irrelevant, the media create the discourse, the discourse informs the popular opinion. Just like at election time.
    I can see what you are getting at but if you can point me to something that you actually disagree with I'd be more willing to listen. For me they have got it consistently right and that is down to the coaches and video. Im sure those players that have interest outside of football dont actually read or listen to shows on football.