Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: The Recruit TV Show

Isn't that a character from Hellboy!?

Post Thanks / Like

A Work mate of mine made the last 20 but then got cut, Sudanese kid plays for the Werribee district side that joined the WRFL side last year
    Bring back the biff

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    I agree, I didn't understand how the original and heavily spuiked version was ever going to work but when AD and the head of Foxtel Sport sell it I believed they thought it through passed my grasp. This always seemed the way it would work like the round ball football version of the show... Did Collingwood get the rights to the recruit on their list/s?
    I think so.
    They say Burt Lancaster has one, but I don't believe them.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post
    I think so.
    Looks like I'm not watching another show on TV.

Derm & Ed, The Club, Millionaire, The Recruit, Friday Foxtel before the game.

Another poster said it perfect, if there was another network without Ed and Dwayne and others, I'd join yesterday.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

AFL to hold draft for Foxtel reality TV show The Recruit
    AFL News
    Date
    June 19, 2014 -
    Jake Niall
    Senior sports writer for The Age

The AFL has arranged an official draft meeting in September for a reality television program in which the winner is guaranteed a spot on a club's rookie list.

The meeting will be the final episode, shown live, for the Foxtel program The Recruit, in which 50 players are progressively reduced to a final three, with the winner guaranteed a position on a club list as a ''category B'' rookie – the same status as an international player or one recruited from another sport, like ex-steeplechaser Mark Blicavs of Geelong.

The draft is expected to be held on the Wednesday of preliminary final week, with the AFL Commission recently giving approval for the winner to be recruited prior to the national draft through the special meeting, which all clubs are supposed to attend.

The AFL would not confirm, however, that at least one club had given an undertaking to select the winner if there were no other takers. It said it would become apparent during the program how the draft meeting would work.

Sources familiar with the reality show said all 18 clubs would have an opportunity to draft the winner, and some clubs believe there will be a form of bidding system.

The show has been completed, bar the final live episode, with the contestants narrowed to just three.

Under the rules for The Recruit – which is produced by Collingwood president Eddie McGuire's company, McGuire Media – players in the pool have to fit three main criteria: that they are at least 20 years old; that they have not been playing in a senior state league such as the VFL, the SANFL or the WAFL in the past two years; and that they have never been on an AFL club's list.

The show, which consists of 10 episodes and involves the players playing scratch matches, is hosted by former Brisbane champion and coach Michael Voss.

Port Adelaide's highly regarded fitness boss Darren Burgess, ex-Netball Victoria boss Leigh Russell, former Hawthorn player Ben Dixon and ex-Sydney player Ryan Fitzgerald are regular figures on the program – to be screened on entertainment channel Fox 8, the same channel that has Australia's Next Top Model, rather than Fox Footy.

Ex-North Melbourne premiership player and veteran AFL assistant coach Anthony Rock played a role in assessing the players.

The AFL's head of legal Andrew Dillon confirmed the draft would be held on the Wednesday of preliminary final week, with the details ''to be worked out ... it's a proper AFL, properly constituted draft".

Dillon confirmed the winner was guaranteed a spot on an AFL club's rookie list, but would not be drawn on how the guarantee worked – such as whether there was a fall-back position in which one club would select the winner.

He said the AFL did not have to change the competition rules to enable the program, but that the AFL Commission ''made a determination'' that the show's winner could be recruited as a category B player.

The contestants include players from the amateurs and from remote country areas, as well as suburban players.

The show's producers did not want to imitate Cricket Superstar – a similar cricket television contest – or a soccer version made for TV, in that they wanted older players from outside the conventional pathways.

The view is these players will have more interesting life stories than an overlooked player from the TAC Cup.

While the draft system has not been outlined to club recruiters, the AFL expressed confidence that there were clubs with a genuine interest in recruiting a player, or players, from the show.

It is possible clubs could draft a category B recruit from the show who is not the official winner. One source familiar with the show likened the scenario to the Australian Idol of 2003, when singer Guy Sebastian was the winner but runner-up Shannon Noll went on to be similarly successful.

Read more: http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-new...#ixzz353qIE0tp

Post Thanks / Like

I'm confused, but if Eddie is paying the bills, Eddie will be the winner.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

SANFL News
    23 Jul 2014
    TWO DOGS ON THE LEASH
    By ZAC MILBANK | Twitter @zacmilbank

Central District pair Luke Habel and Yohann Wagner are increasingly unlikely to play again this season as they battle serious injuries.

Habel, who has been struck down by a debilitating calf ailment, is set to go under the surgeon’s knife next week, effectively ruling him out for season 2014.

One of the best run-and-carry players in the SANFL, Habel has been experiencing pain while attempting to run at training.

‘’It doesn’t look good for Luke at the moment as it looks a little bit more in depth than what we first thought for him,’’ Central coach Roy Laird said.

‘’So it is probably not looking great for him to play again this year. He offers us real speed and is always a danger up in the forward line so it is a really disappointing one for him and us that he won’t be available late in the year.’’

Laird said the affable Habel, who was emergency for the West End State team in May, was trying to stay positive.

‘’He is pretty down after I caught up with him briefly yesterday,’’ Laird said.

‘’I think there is still some uncertainty as to what they are going in to have a look at with the operation. But ever the optimist with Luke, he would still be holding on for some hope (to play again this year).’’

Wagner, who has been battling a knee injury, is more likely to play again for the Bulldogs despite there being some doubt on his fitness.

‘’It’s a bit indefinite – we would hope to see him again before the end of the year but there is some doubt there as well,’’ Laird said of the athletic forward.

‘’He hyper-extended his knee. Initially it was feared to be bone bruising but in the end, there was a little bit more than that involved as he didn’t get into a (knee) brace quick enough.

‘’That has probably stymied his recovery a bit which is bitterly disappointing as we were really looking forward to seeing him play again.’’

A mature-age signing from the Eyre Peninsula, Wagner is currently featuring on a Foxtel program titled ‘’The Recruit’’ which was filmed earlier in the year.

The Bulldogs spearhead has been selected in the final 12 players to participate in the series, with the overall winner to be drafted by an AFL club in September.

Post Thanks / Like

While I haven't watched a lot of the Recruit I struggle to accept Ryan Fitzgerald as one of the key people on the show.

His days has since playing have predominately been providing comic relief on what ever show that will have him. That's all very well and good luck to him but I just can't cop the notion that he will mentor these players towards a contract.
    I think it takes a better man than Fitzy to switch between the serious and frivolous sides of football.

Am I being too harsh?
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Not at all. I don't think it's his fault for being miscast though.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    While I haven't watched a lot of the Recruit I struggle to accept Ryan Fitzgerald as one of the key people on the show.

His days has since playing have predominately been providing comic relief on what ever show that will have him. That's all very well and good luck to him but I just can't cop the notion that he will mentor these players towards a contract.
    I think it takes a better man than Fitzy to switch between the serious and frivolous sides of football.

Am I being too harsh?
    Certainly not in regards to him being a mentor, but my understanding is that he's only going to host the show.

I find him to be one of those rare, naturally funny characters. Presumably he'll be doing a lot of interviews with the contestants and I think he'll be a good fit in that role.
    'And the Western suburbs erupt!'

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Scorlibo View Post
    Certainly not in regards to him being a mentor, but my understanding is that he's only going to host the show.

I find him to be one of those rare, naturally funny characters. Presumably he'll be doing a lot of interviews with the contestants and I think he'll be a good fit in that role.

Well back in the day, before Fitzy was drafted, he was a mate of a mate. Lucky enough to be in his company for a few short minutes back then every now and then, and he was dead set 100% hilarious. In a group of 6 - 8 people standing around, he would be doing most of the talking and everyone else was in tears from laughing. #topbloke

Post Thanks / Like

Not a bad start to the show, having seen the first two episodes, from an entertainment perspective. It's something different.

Anyone who wondered why Waylen wasn't drafted need not wonder any further.

Hard to know who looks likely at the moment.
    W00F!