Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  1
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ken Hinkley

Where_only_dogs_tread Guest

Ken Hinkley

Ok so Ken Hinkley and B-Mac both did their coaching apprenticeships at Geelong's football factory, but obviously Hinkley has been able to turn around Port's fortunes in a shorter period of time. Now don't get me wrong, I'm happy with the direction that B-Mac is taking us in (though like a lot of other fans, I haven't always been ), but why do people think Hinkley was able to turn things around for Port so quickly? I've been pondering this for a bit, and have come up with nothing, I mean we can't say they have a more developed list, they have the third youngest list in the league. Do Hinkley and B-Mac have different coaching styles/philosophies? I noticed Hinkley game plan seems to be maybe a bit more attacking/generating run off half back?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Ken Hinkley

I think they have gone about it a different way , Hinkley has looked to win games ASAP where as B-Mac is looking at improving certain areas of the game one at a time and believes the wins will come as we learn them and these teachings become automatic in the mind, one I believe will build an era the other will give wins but maybe not the ultimate success .
    Time will tell I suppose
    Bring back the biff

Post Thanks / Like

Port had been down for a couple of years and had started their rebuild. Good coach hinkely though. We started from a fair way back and Macca had to get the contested football ethic happening. It took us a while but I think we are better for it.

The challenge for us in 2014 is get 2 or 3 wins more than 2013.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Port have started their rebuild since 2008.
    They just appointed the wrong coach
    We started our rebuild in probably 2010 11 period.
    Their best players are all early picks, and we've still got a few good senior players.
    I must admit I was shocked that the likes of Leon Cameron and a few other coaches knocked back the port job.
    The list has a great ceiling

Where_only_dogs_tread Guest

To be fair, I do like the way Macca goes about it. I like his build our playing style from the defensive side of the game philosophy that he seems to work to. We ranked fairly highly in all the stats around stoppages and winning the contested footy, which is reflective of the brand of footy he wants us to play. Would it be fair to say that Hinkley works more to "the best form of defense is attack" style, whereas Macca wants to implement more of a tempo style of footy with us, starting from making the defensive side of our game airtight, and then opening the floodgates for maybe a 15-20 minute period where we score heavily?

Post Thanks / Like

Port aren't exactly a high scoring team. They are a very good defensive team.

They don't really have any veterans in their team where as we had 7 or 8 so they've had to throw a lot of kids in the deep end. Their early picks have been gold too and ready to play instantly.

I think we'll be Port next season.

Post Thanks / Like

Because Port began their rebuild in October 2008. They finished bottom 4 and drafted: Hamish Hartlett, Jackson Trengove and Matthew Broadbent. They're all 23 now and very good players.

We finished 3rd in 2008 and used our first pick (14) on Ayce Cordy... We also drafted BBB Hall during that period..

Whereas Port began rebuilding in Oct '08, we didn't begin until October 2011. That put us 3 years behind Port.

For me, there's no mystery to any of it. Hinkley's a good coach and McCartney's a good coach. Port are simply 5 years into a rebuild and we're 2 years in... Mind you, with our 2012 draft and our development curve, I reckon we're definitely making ground up on them and will be the better team in the long term.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Webby View Post
    Because Port began their rebuild in October 2008. They finished bottom 4 and drafted: Hamish Hartlett, Jackson Trengove and Matthew Broadbent. They're all 23 now and very good players.

We finished 3rd in 2008 and used our first pick (14) on Ayce Cordy... We also drafted BBB Hall during that period..

Whereas Port began rebuilding in Oct '08, we didn't begin until October 2011. That put us 3 years behind Port.

For me, there's no mystery to any of it. Hinkley's a good coach and McCartney's a good coach. Port are simply 5 years into a rebuild and we're 2 years in... Mind you, with our 2012 draft and our development curve, I reckon we're definitely making ground up on them and will be the better team in the long term.
    I would say our rebuild began in 2011 when we debuted 10 new players. May have been accidental due to injury, but it certainly began during 2011.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    Port had been down for a couple of years and had started their rebuild. Good coach hinkely though. We started from a fair way back and Macca had to get the contested football ethic happening. It took us a while but I think we are better for it.

The challenge for us in 2014 is get 2 or 3 wins more than 2013.
    Our recruitment for 3-4 years prior to 2013 has been very questionable creating a dearth of talent in the mid 20's age bracket. The Port Power attack has been better than ours and the recruitment of Crameri and a fitter Stringer should help bridge the gap in 2014. You are right to suggest our greatly improved contested attack on the ball has been an outstanding feature of Macca's coaching. Our list still needs improvement with perhaps a further 3-4 delistings to ensure we become more competitive.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Nuggety Back Pocket View Post
    The Port Power attack has been better than ours and the recruitment of Crameri and a fitter Stringer should help bridge the gap in 2014.
    Funnily enough they only scored 100 points more than us for the season.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Topdog View Post
    Funnily enough they only scored 100 points more than us for the season.
    And we had a nice win over them

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    And we had a nice win over them

How many is our run against Port now? It must be getting to double figures.
    They say Burt Lancaster has one, but I don't believe them.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post
    How many is our run against Port now? It must be getting to double figures.
    7 in a row if you take out the London game.
    Last loss to Port was round 19, 2006 in Darwin.
    It's better to die on our feet than live on our knees.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by KT31 View Post
    7 in a row if you take out the London game.
    Last loss to Port was round 19, 2006 in Darwin.
    Yeah, should have won that one, I was there too

Post Thanks / Like

Ken Hinkley has agreed to a two-year contract extension with Port Adelaide under which the veteran coach will continue in the role next year and in 2025.

Hinkley and Port Adelaide’s hierarchy stuck to their original plan to delay any contract discussions until August, keeping that timeline even when the Power won 13 consecutive games through the middle of this year.

more on the story here