Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Scharlaine Cairns

I've just returned from the Grand Final Comedy Debate where the Football Woman of the Year was presented. Among the five nominations was Scharlaine Cairns.

This is what is posted about Scharlaine on the Football Woman of the Year website:

"Scharlaine Cairns has been a committed member of the Western Bulldogs Football Club for over 40 years. Her career as a book editor has enabled her to edit three club history books and write club articles and columns for the local Footscray newspapers, as well as provide other editorial support to all areas of club administration and communication.

Scharlaine has served on numerous committees over the last 23 years and has participated in significant fundraising activities for the club. In her time as President of the Western Bulldogs Player Sponsors her goal was to encourage a family atmosphere as well as maximise fundraising opportunities. During Scharlaine’s three-year presidency, player sponsor annual fundraising increased fivefold.

Scharlaine believes that Australian Football remains the greatest equaliser and that, no matter where we are from or who we have become, the game provides a common link and helps us all speak a common language."

I had a good conversation with Scharlaine while there, she was wearing a very impressive Bulldogs blazer and she came across as a wonderful person.

Her nomination comes on the back of Irene Chatfield winning the inaugural award in 1998 I believe and more recently Susan Alberti. How lucky we are to have these fantastic women involved with the club and to be leading the AFL in this respect.

Congratulations to Scharlaine.
    'And the Western suburbs erupt!'

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Scharlaine Cairns

Nice one Scorlibo .
    "It's over. It's all over."

Post Thanks / Like

Have met Scharlaine on a few occasions. She is a delightful lady.
    Life is to be Enjoyed not Endured

Post Thanks / Like

This is why I love WOOF !! I never would have known about Scharlaine without the thread contribution. Thanks Scorlibo; great read.
    WOOF Member 422

Post Thanks / Like

I have been a friend of Scharlaine & her dear mother Olive for many years. Two absolutely delightful ladies who've done a lot for the Bulldogs over many years.

Many of you may remember the old coaches box on the Doug Hawkins wing. After Mick Malthouse left, it was going to be unused until Scharlaine approached the club with an offer to use it on match days. A different place to watch footy from!

Scharlaine has raced a number of horses, all with a Bulldog flavour including Minson, She's Ayce & Cross Street.
    85, 92, 97, 98, 08, 09, 10... Break the curse!

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for posting Scorlibo and TCD.

Great clubs are built on great people.

Post Thanks / Like

I am a fan of books & history. Good choice.