Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  17
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

I wish it were us.....

It is with a heavy heart that yet another grand final slips past without the bulldogs in it and this year marks my 40th without my team in it, certainly by no means the longest time in waiting for that day, but none the less an anti milestone.

This year more so than others I found myself with some very important realisations as my wife and children celebrate yet another Hawthorn flag, the second most important of which is that it simply is not fair. Over the years like all fellow bulldog supporters we have found ourselves at great disadvantage in the football landscape, low memberships, a competition that wanted us removed, unbalanced fixturing and even the current spectre of minimal television coverage does nothing but hurt our club.

Over my 40 years other clubs have plundered our list for talent, taken our genuine superstars of the game away from us, pushed us into poor stadium deals and even ensured that we play our games in remote locations just to survive. One could mount a good case that during our “versions of success” had we been on equal footing that perhaps we may, just may have made the big dance.

So with all the negatives and dwelling on our history it has lead me to the MOST important realisation and on which probably comes as no surprise to those who are fellow believers; We know that when that victorious day comes it will taste sweeter than anything anyone could possibly know. To be a bulldog supporter is to be the ultimate optimist, each year shelling out our West Footscray Roubles to call ourselves “WBFC Members”, so I put it to you, those around me who share my passion that we, the most unique and by a country mile the most loyal football fans in Australia, that our time is coming.

To win a premiership for a club like Hawthorn with its history of success is expected, for us it has been nothing but a dream, to imagine what it’s like to be involved in grand final week, to go to the MCG on grand final day wearing my teams colours cheering until I'm red white and blue in the face, to be involved in the finale is something I'm yet to taste let alone prevail.

So I put it to you, to us, that our time is coming, I can clearly see it building, I can sense that something is different about this team, about our coach, about our work ethic, about our willingness to do the hard work. I have the utmost faith in the club, its players, coaches, administrators and fellow members that no stone be left unturned in bringing that fateful day, and ultimately victory to us.

In the mean time, im going to continue to enjoy the ride, the anticipation of 40 years is going to do nothing but build, and when it erupts no team, not even your teams with a plethora of premierships will have any idea of what we will feel like upon that magical day. So whilst today it was Hawthorns taking the spoils, our time is near and may god help anyone who stands in our way.

Cede Nullis

Post Thanks / Like

Re: I wish it were us.....

The Day is Getting Closer.

FWIW every New Year, I run into the street and yell "The Flag Will Wag, carn the Scray!" as my first words of the new year. I usually start crying. Its a happy, optimistic feeling mostly, I feel energised to carry the burden of history with a defiant grin, sometimes a grimace.

Grand Final day I am a bitter and sour mess.

3. Likes N/A, BornInDroopSt'54 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

The whole city will be in red white blue everywhere the day we win.
    "Footscray people are incredible people; so humble. I'm just so happy - ecstatic"

Post Thanks / Like

Brought a tear to the eye, very we'll said Reload. our day will come and it will be amazing.

Post Thanks / Like

I feel both your pain and your optimism ReLoad. I had to turn the radio off whenever Freo 's "long wait" got mentioned. Grand finals are really hard to bear. And knowing so many of our champs who so deserve a flag will never know the experience makes me just so sad.

I feel that BMac has a sense of purpose, a goal for what will build a flag, and won't take short cuts to get there. But my god, we have been waiting so long to have never experienced the joy of a premiership.
    www.bulldogtragician.com A blog about being a lifelong fan of the Dogs and our quixotic attempt to replicate 1954. AND WE DID
    Author of "The Mighty West: the Bulldogs journey from daydream believers to premiership heroes"
    Twitter @bulldogstragic

Post Thanks / Like

And Lake won the Norm Smith don't know how to feel about that

Post Thanks / Like

To be honest I have no idea whether this iteration is different than previous. I know we're still a long way off. 2008-2010 was the most successful period I've ever seen and it was great fun (except for the finals losses). I've also reconciled myself with the fact we may never win a GF and life is too big and short and uncertain to bother hand wringing about it. If it happens great, if not then I still got to barrack for a club I love and be lucky enough to spend lots of my time sitting around watching a game, which is all it really is.
    Park that car
    Drop that phone
    Sleep on the floor
    Dream about me

Post Thanks / Like

LOL. I was just saying today to my Wife "Every year I watch a Grand Final I get a little more bitter" Lake winning the Norm Smith is just salt in the wound, it made me feel sick! At least we're good at helping others win.

Post Thanks / Like

Basil Zemplas (sp?) interviewed a 92 year old Freo supporter outside the MCG today. The inference was that she had waited so long for this day to arrive...until you remembered Freo is only about 20 years old. You could argue she's simply jumped on the bandwagon! No-one but no-one has the patience of a bulldogs supporter.

Post Thanks / Like

I commented to my daughters today that if/when we are fortunate to make a grand final.....I'm not really sure how much I will enjoy the actual match. I have no doubt that I will be an absolutely gibbering mess during the game.

Post Thanks / Like

I flippantly watched the game in my dogs guernsey tipping the hawks by five points. When freo were getting behind I started rooting for them. In the end the game was a decent grand final while not spectacular. I wasn't displeased with the result and enjoyed Lake picking off the forward thrusts in his bulldog way.

However, when he was announced as norm smith it completely took the wind from my sails. I was unrealistic ally hoping he would thanks the dogs. I was fairly reflective for a good ten minutes after that. Strange feeling.

Post Thanks / Like

I was the same. No idea why I thought he might mention us.....and I have no idea what I thought he might say.

As for the game...I really didn't enjoy it. No highlights to speak of and Freo were never really in it. One of the more underwhelming grand finals I've seen.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by always right View Post
    I was the same. No idea why I thought he might mention us.....and I have no idea what I thought he might say.

As for the game...I really didn't enjoy it. No highlights to speak of and Freo were never really in it. One of the more underwhelming grand finals I've seen.
    Glad I was not the only who thought this, but in reality I suppose it would not be appropriate when at a new club, but my thought was we developed him and helped big tine making him the player he is.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by always right View Post

Fremantle definitely were in it but they just didn't take their opportunities which is what let them down. Hawthorn took advantage and won. Overall though it certainly wasn't the best Grand Finals in recent years.
    "Footscray people are incredible people; so humble. I'm just so happy - ecstatic"

Post Thanks / Like

With Freo making that GF, it makes the Bulldogs the least successful club since my birth in 1980. If you were tallying it like an olyimpic games count ( Prem = Gold, GF= Silver, Finals = Bronze).

1. Hawthorn
    2. Essendon
    3. Carlton
    4. Geelong
    5. West Coast
    6. Bris/Fitz
    7. Collingwood
    8. Sydney
    9. NthMelb
    10. Adelaide
    11. Port Adelaide
    12. Richmond
    13. StKilda
    14. Melbourne
    15. Fremantle
    16. Western / Footscray.
    (G.C & GWS don't count)

4th Hawthorn premiership I have watched with my brother (Hawks supporter), and I'm sick of the lack of excitement he shows. He has seen his team in 7 premierships and 11 grand finals!
    I guess they are just common for him??