Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  17
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: I wish it were us.....

Quote Originally Posted by BornInDroopSt'54 View Post
    We Woofers and other true followers of the Western Bulldogs will have an experience like no other club. I'm 60 next birthday and have followed them every year since I was three. To experience all the grand finals since '61 without our appearance, to see all the greats of our club and their efforts, to go through the adversity, Neil Sasche becoming a quadriplegic, to fight strongly but be consistently beaten by the big four, to go through the nationalisation of the competition, the '97 pain, but to not get the holy grail but to maintain loyalty and hope means that when we get to a grand final it will have more meaning than any other club. The media and the public will ride us home like Jim Pike rode Phar Lap. I may feel like telling them to f--k off because it will be too personal but with you people I will want to be with you.
    What a great post BIDS.
    If that wonderful day happens there will be plenty of tears and plenty of touchy feels moments.
    The media will follow the story( like with Freo)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Remi Moses View Post
    Brown and Gold or yellow don't look good on anyone.
    Agree Remi I'm at the Glen Shopping Centre right now and there are quite a few here in those colours. I'm proudly wearing my Bulldogs hoodie.
    "Footscray people are incredible people; so humble. I'm just so happy - ecstatic"

3. Likes BornInDroopSt'54 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Remi Moses View Post
    What a great post BIDS.
    If that wonderful day happens there will be plenty of tears and plenty of touchy feels moments.
    The media will follow the story( like with Freo)
    No "if" Remi, "WHEN" that wonderful day happens And it will. The MCG awash with red, white & blue!

Post Thanks / Like

I don't understand what other supporters get out of winning loads of flags. They just picked a big successful team — either as kids pushed by their parents or as adults — and although I'm sure they are every bit as passionate, they really can't claim to have done the hard yards.

To explain what I mean: We are fans. We may pay our memberships, put as much money into the club as we can, but at the end of the day, when the boys are out there taking the hits and putting their bodies on the line, spending their entire lives being followed around by a rabid media pack ready to jump on the slightest transgression, unable to eat anything without counting the calories, we're sitting on our arse eating pies and chugging back a beer or two.

But being a Dogs fan means we can claim more than that — our loyalty. And that's what makes us special. Here's a great quote from Ulysses S. Grant, an American civil war general and the 18th President:

The friend in adversity I shall always cherish most. I can better trust those who helped me to relieve the gloom of my dark hours than those who are so ready to enjoy with me the sunshine of my prosperity.
    Because of loyalty, because we stick it out every year despite almost every indication of being let down again, we can proudly stand beside them when they hold the cup and proclaim quite rightly that we're just as much a part of it. The 1989 fightback: we saved this club. We stand up for it every day.

In short, we are more a part of our team and its success than the Collingwood supporter across the road, no matter how much he loves the Pies. He's never had to dig deep enough.

6. Likes ratsmac liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

We Woofers and other true followers of the Western Bulldogs will have an experience like no other club. I'm 60 next birthday and have followed them every year since I was three. To experience all the grand finals since '61 without our appearance, to see all the greats of our club and their efforts, to go through the adversity, Neil Sasche becoming a quadriplegic, to fight strongly but be consistently beaten by the big four, to go through the nationalisation of the competition, the '97 pain, but to not get the holy grail but to maintain loyalty and hope means that when we get to a grand final it will have more meaning than any other club. The media and the public will ride us home like Jim Pike rode Phar Lap. I may feel like telling them to f--k off because it will be too personal but with you people I will want to be with you.
    Gee that's a good post. My sentiments exactly.
    But then again, I'm an Internet poster and Bevo is a premiership coach so draw your own conclusions.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Petergm View Post
    Don't fool yourself with dreams ......... we simply won't win one. I have waited nearly 50 years since I have been following football and I now believe it is never going to happen in my lifetime. Especially when we have players that decide "I'm never going to win a flag here, so I will go to a club where I can!" We saw that happen this year and us fools have been on the forum congratulating the bloke ...... FFS!
    I have had 57 years of disappointment but have never been as confident that a flag is not far away due to the new coach that will take us all the way. Within 3 years I will meet all woofers at the centre circle at the whitten oval at 8pm on the night we win the flag... book early

9. Likes N/A liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hughy31 View Post
    I have had 57 years of disappointment but have never been as confident that a flag is not far away due to the new coach that will take us all the way. Within 3 years I will meet all woofers at the centre circle at the whitten oval at 8pm on the night we win the flag... book early
    I hope so. Would be great to meet all the woofers in person.
    "Footscray people are incredible people; so humble. I'm just so happy - ecstatic"

Post Thanks / Like

It's a deal.
    www.bulldogtragician.com A blog about being a lifelong fan of the Dogs and our quixotic attempt to replicate 1954. AND WE DID
    Author of "The Mighty West: the Bulldogs journey from daydream believers to premiership heroes"
    Twitter @bulldogstragic

Post Thanks / Like

Having been to five NRL grand finals with Storm winning three of them, it is a wonderful feeling. I often wonder how much stronger that feeling will be when the Bulldogs win one, seeing as we've waited so long.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Suz 32 View Post
    Having been to five NRL grand finals with Storm winning three of them, it is a wonderful feeling. I often wonder how much stronger that feeling will be when the Bulldogs win one, seeing as we've waited so long.
    You can tell me, one day in one year in September.

Post Thanks / Like

I just hope Bob Murphy and Griff are still playing.

Post Thanks / Like

You can tell me, one day in one year in September.
    Deal!

Post Thanks / Like

If finals success ratio to years following a club is the formula for calculating supporter kudos, some folk in here deserve medals of honor.
    You don't develop courage by being happy in your relationships every day. You develop it by surviving difficult times and challenging adversity. ― Epicurus

Post Thanks / Like

I just hope Bob Murphy and Griff are still playing.
    I remember thinking the same about Chris Grant, Doug Hawkins, Scott Wynd and Rick Kennedy!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Petergm View Post
    I remember thinking the same about Chris Grant, Doug Hawkins, Scott Wynd and Rick Kennedy!
    Hope springs eternal, as it must.