Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  3
Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 345678910111213

Thread: Lance Franklin

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Lance Franklin

What's the big deal?

He likes number 23 and he's the marquee player.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post
    What's the big deal?

Exactly. Footballers are big on the "it's worked well for me so far" mindset too.
    They say Burt Lancaster has one, but I don't believe them.

Post Thanks / Like

There's some pretty freakish things here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LAr6oAKieHk

Certainly is, thanks for posting it. Only issue with it is I like to pretend the Washington years never happened and if featured in this top 50

Oh and #1 was a clear push off foul. Love #3, that celebration was fantastic.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by westdog54 View Post
    [

The difference is that he wouldn't have asked for some other player to give it up for him.

Sydney's number 23 guernsey has no significance to him.

To argue that a heap of Lance Frankin merchandise is being sold as a reason to let him pick his own number (And I know that you didn't make that argument) is a load of bollocks.
    You've spoken to him about it have you? Thanks for your unnecessary clarification too but my point still stands, aside from winning one million premierships marketing and branding are very, very important in today's game, especially to those who invest in it but are outside any interest in the game - so no, he only answered succinctly in your opinion and the original comment was connecting numbers by amount of premierships won in that number, which, is really just an alternate opinion.

I provided a counter argument that stated that Buddy is just as much brand as football player and number 23 is part of his on-going brand - irrespective of how many no. 23 jumpers he's going to sell at Sydney. You need to separate Buddy the footballer and Buddy the brand and Buddy the brand is so much bigger than Buddy the footballer to many people.

Post Thanks / Like

What's the big deal?

Yes it's an emotional link and it means something to him - he is tied to it and he is recognised by it so some marketing firms would say that Buddy is no. 23.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 1eyedog View Post
    You've spoken to him about it have you? Thanks for your unnecessary clarification too but my point still stands, aside from winning one million premierships marketing and branding are very, very important in today's game, especially to those who invest in it but are outside any interest in the game - so no, he only answered succinctly in your opinion and the original comment was connecting numbers by amount of premierships won in that number, which, is really just an alternate opinion.

I provided a counter argument that stated that Buddy is just as much brand as football player and number 23 is part of his on-going brand - irrespective of how many no. 23 jumpers he's going to sell at Sydney. You need to separate Buddy the footballer and Buddy the brand and Buddy the brand is so much bigger than Buddy the footballer to many people.

I would venture that Buddy the brand has been more important than Buddy the footballer to the Hawks.

Post Thanks / Like

I don't think Buddy should have demanded #23, no matter what his reasons, brand, marketing, football, superstition or otherwise.

But that said, it's done: he did, and Sydney let him do it. I don't think a number should really be up for sale like that, so if Sydney decided it wasn't that important for their number 23 to be earned rather than simply requested, all power to them. Lockyer is better off — he can make another number his own, the right way.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    He has worn number 23 all is footy career. Even in the Under 18 Champs.
    Except for his first year at Hawthorn when he wore 38.
    I should leave it alone but you're not right

Post Thanks / Like

I don't see the big issue to be honest .
    He likes the number and of course he's a heavily marketed commodity. .
    If it was an older player i'm not sure they 'd be giving up their number.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Maddog37 View Post
    I would venture that Buddy the brand has been more important than Buddy the footballer to the Hawks.
    I think regardless of the murmurings out of Waverley they will miss Buddy enormously.
    Marketing and footy wise.

Post Thanks / Like

No doubt Remi. It will be interesting to see how they go.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by soupaman View Post
    Except for his first year at Hawthorn when he wore 38.
    Pretty hard to take the number off your leading goal kicker and give it to a kid though. As soon as Thommo left he got it. I reckon Hawthorn will miss him big time. Not for his smarts and ability to convert but he attracted so much opposition attention that now opposition backs will be all over Hawthorn forwards like flies.

Post Thanks / Like

I dunno they handled every game he has missed for the past 2 seasons with no problems.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Topdog View Post
    I dunno they handled every game he has missed for the past 2 seasons with no problems.
    Roughead is a real issue.

Post Thanks / Like

Buddy to play his 350th game this week. He is an all time great of the AFL.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

16. Likes mjp, azabob, Dry Rot liked this post