Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  3
Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111213 LastLast

Thread: Lance Franklin

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Lance Franklin

Quote Originally Posted by 1eyedog View Post
    Yeah all that is fair enough - no question he has freakish ability in patches though.
    Jarrad Grant has freakish ability in patches.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BornAScragger View Post
    I was having a good think about my man Jarrad, he kind of reminds me when Stevey Johnson was kicked out by Harley and to some degree BMac. When the penny falls on such highly talented players... Well look at what Stevey J has done since then. And not talked about much, if Stevey J hadn't been rubbed out I think he would have won the brownlow last year, look at his vote tallies. And, IF, and it's a mid sized if, if he puts it to full effect, Grant will be the story of next year, lock this post in. Stew and Jones get the best two defenders, Campbell's height means he needs a taller type, so next year Grant should murder teams 3rd or 4th defender and journos will be sprouting his freakish look away handballs. And so will I!
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    I was having a good think about my man Jarrad, he kind of reminds me when Stevey Johnson was kicked out by Harley and to some degree BMac. When the penny falls on such highly talented players... Well look at what Stevey J has done since then. And not talked about much, if Stevey J hadn't been rubbed out I think he would have won the brownlow last year, look at his vote tallies. And, IF, and it's a mid sized if, if he puts it to full effect, Grant will be the story of next year, lock this post in. Stew and Jones get the best two defenders, Campbell's height means he needs a taller type, so next year Grant should murder teams 3rd or 4th defender and journos will be sprouting his freakish look away handballs. And so will I!
    Hope so. Your Grant love deserves recognition and reward.

Post Thanks / Like

Hope so. Your Grant love deserves recognition and reward.
    Thanks BAS!

Loving Grant unconditionally is a journey. Highest of highs and pretty deep lows, but I've never given up. He has everything, he just needs to put it all together and ideally another forward or two to take the better defender. To quote Bob Murphy, "I tell Granty in our one on ones, his best is the best I've ever played on". It's one heck of a ride, I'm hoping he's going to repay the faith and have a cracking year.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

He does, another good example. He could be anything - so glad we managed to keep him.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post

You're not the only one to see the Stevie J comparison. Onfield especially so.
    They say Burt Lancaster has one, but I don't believe them.

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah all that is fair enough - no question he has freakish ability in patches though.
    Yes but Jordan wasn't really about the freakish. In fact he was barely about the freakish at all. Magic Johnson (my personal favourite) was much more of a freak and played in every position on the court during his career. Even Dominique Wilkins whose nickname was "The Human highlight reel" was more of the freakish variety.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post
    I meant to mention this too. Teddy is an excellent example. He did the hard yards promoting the game by going up to the Tiwi Islands every year, going to games, visiting communities and IIRC the medal for the best player in the Grand Final is named after him. EJ didn't sit back and let TV do all the work for him. He went, he saw and he conquered.
    Great conversation on the cricket today about Botham's knighthood.
    Not knighted so much for his cricket ( and if you look at some of the pleb's that have been it would well and truly been deserved) it was for his charity and underprivileged work.
    It's better to die on our feet than live on our knees.

Post Thanks / Like

Agree with Jeemak in that I just don't think we had the star power of the Cats in that period .
    I'm traumatised by not having pick 2 and 5 in that draft.
    Would we have picked Buddy?
    Buddy and Griff in the one side,

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Topdog View Post
    Yes but Jordan wasn't really about the freakish. In fact he was barely about the freakish at all. Magic Johnson (my personal favourite) was much more of a freak and played in every position on the court during his career. Even Dominique Wilkins whose nickname was "The Human highlight reel" was more of the freakish variety.
    Early career, everything Jordan did was freakish. Defensive work, offensive work and big game was all there.

As NBA became more defensive and slow transitional he became a shooting player more than anything else.

Johnson was another story. For a 6ft 9in fella, he was so mobile without being quick, so sharp and clever.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Topdog View Post
    I meant Franklin but yes you're right Jordan did not do freakish things he just played at a few levels above everyone else his entire career.

I don't watch basketball, I have zero interest in it.

Post Thanks / Like

There's some pretty freakish things here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LAr6oAKieHk

Post Thanks / Like

And what is the bolded about? Who cares about Scott and Dermie and where is the relevance with Franklin taking over their number? Of course the number existed prior to Franklin as did Jordan's but there is no question that Franklin has made it his own in the AFL - who he wears it with is simply a byproduct of the Buddy brand.
    Quote Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post
    Very much so. If Buddy had played in 5 premierships at CHF at Hawthorn then he could start to consider it being his number.
    Twodogs has answered your question succinctly.

By your logic Wayne carey would have walked into number 18 at Adelaide. At the end of the day he has a connection to the number 23 at Hawthorn. He has no connection whatsoever to the number 23 guernsey at Sydney. Full stop.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by westdog54 View Post
    Twodogs has answered your question succinctly.

By your logic Wayne carey would have walked into number 18 at Adelaide. At the end of the day he has a connection to the number 23 at Hawthorn. He has no connection whatsoever to the number 23 guernsey at Sydney. Full stop.
    He has worn number 23 all is footy career. Even in the Under 18 Champs.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

[
    Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    He has worn number 23 all is footy career. Even in the Under 18 Champs.
    The difference is that he wouldn't have asked for some other player to give it up for him.

Sydney's number 23 guernsey has no significance to him.

To argue that a heap of Lance Frankin merchandise is being sold as a reason to let him pick his own number (And I know that you didn't make that argument) is a load of bollocks.