Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  3
Page 8 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 LastLast

Thread: Lance Franklin

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Lance Franklin

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    How's the ego on him?

A young kid is forced to give up number '23' so he can have it. Not only arrogant but I suspect his branding stuff with number '23' on it has business implications for him.

I tolerated him at Hawthorn, can't stand him now.
    Here are a couple of grabs from the below article

"He is starting again with number 18, which is great for him," Franklin said
    It's about just getting on a list or playing a game, your jumper number doesn't matter as long as you're playing football for the Sydney Swans

If it is just about playing footy - why did you need #23?

http://www.news.com.au/sport/afl/syd...-1226778774541
    More of an In Bruges guy?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    How's the ego on him?

A young kid is forced to give up number '23' so he can have it. Not only arrogant but I suspect his branding stuff with number '23' on it has business implications for him.

I tolerated him at Hawthorn, can't stand him now.
    So Tony Lockett, all time goalkicking record holder, wears #46 for a year when he makes his (ultimately ill-fated) comeback, but Lance Franklin gets brought in on a mercenary's salary and poor Jordan Lockyer gets told 'too bad, so sad'.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by westdog54 View Post
    So Tony Lockett, all time goalkicking record holder, wears #46 for a year when he makes his (ultimately ill-fated) comeback, but Lance Franklin gets brought in on a mercenary's salary and poor Jordan Lockyer gets told 'too bad, so sad'.
    Lockett did try to get #4, but Ben Matthews said no.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by azabob View Post
    Lockett did try to get #4, but Ben Matthews said no.
    That's exactly my point.

Post Thanks / Like

That's exactly my point.
    What is your point? That one person (Matthews) said no and another (Lockyer) didn't? Both had the choice.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Topdog View Post
    What is your point? That one person (Matthews) said no and another (Lockyer) didn't? Both had the choice.
    Not sure you are comparing apples with apples. Lockyer has played 1 season of footy (not one AFL game) Matthews had played 5 seasons and over 50 odd AFL games.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Topdog View Post
    You honestly believe that?

Post Thanks / Like

Shows a lack of respect and a self indulgent attitude if Buddy was adamant he needed to wear 23 but if it was offered up before he asked then I would not judge him too harshly.

I would hope he sat down and discussed it with the kid before doing it either way though.

Post Thanks / Like

I think it was probably a matter of Buddy saying "I'd like to wear number 23", and those negotiating for Sydney saying "sure thing Bud" and telling the kid he's wearing a new number next year.

All involved have probably well and truly moved on.

Post Thanks / Like

It's simply his trade mark number, everyone knows it and SYdney will continue it.
    Bring back the biff

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ledge View Post
    It's simply his trade mark number, everyone knows it and SYdney will continue it.
    Trade Mark Number? Give me a spell. In my view there's only one bloke on the planet that can claim 23 as a 'Trade Mark Number' and that's Michael Jordan.

Franklin was following in the footsteps of the likes of Don Scott and Dermot Brereton when he took Hawthorn's number 23. The number bears no relevance to his time at Sydney.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post
    I think it was probably a matter of Buddy saying "I'd like to wear number 23", and those negotiating for Sydney saying "sure thing Bud" and telling the kid he's wearing a new number next year.

All involved have probably well and truly moved on.
    Spot on and I don't see the big deal. Buddy's an arrogant superstar, but he's still a superstar. You cancel the Guy Sebastian concert if Michael Jackson says that's the same night that he wants to play.
    But then again, I'm an Internet poster and Bevo is a premiership coach so draw your own conclusions.

Post Thanks / Like

Trade Mark Number? Give me a spell. In my view there's only one bloke on the planet that can claim 23 as a 'Trade Mark Number' and that's Michael Jordan.

Franklin was following in the footsteps of the likes of Don Scott and Dermot Brereton when he took Hawthorn's number 23. The number bears no relevance to his time at Sydney.
    Lance Franklin is Australia's Michael Jordan no two ways about it. HE IS A FREAK! You need to bring it into the context where it belongs and that is Australian sport and more specifically the AFL. Go to outback communities and see what number they're all wearing.

And what is the bolded about? Who cares about Scott and Dermie and where is the relevance with Franklin taking over their number? Of course the number existed prior to Franklin as did Jordan's but there is no question that Franklin has made it his own in the AFL - who he wears it with is simply a byproduct of the Buddy brand.
    But then again, I'm an Internet poster and Bevo is a premiership coach so draw your own conclusions.

Post Thanks / Like

Far as I am concerned Buddy was wearing Dermies number. He was the man when I was a kid and his deeds make Buddy look like a b grader.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Maddog37 View Post
    Far as I am concerned Buddy was wearing Dermies number. He was the man when I was a kid and his deeds make Buddy look like a b grader.

Very much so. If Buddy had played in 5 premierships at CHF at Hawthorn then he could start to consider it being his number.
    They say Burt Lancaster has one, but I don't believe them.