Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  16
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

West Footscray Train Station

Most of us would know West Footscray train station. It also has signs calling it Whitten Oval station. As far as Footscray/WBFC is concerned it is almost iconic. It's the station closest to Whitten Oval and over the years hundreds of thousands supporters would have found their way to the footy ground via the station and the rail bridge.

A couple of days ago the footbridge was closed off to the public and the old station was closed down because a new station has been constructed about 200 metres down Cross Street. It's nice to have a new station and all that but it's a shame the old one went without much fanfare.
    They say Burt Lancaster has one, but I don't believe them.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: West Footscray Train Station

That's sad. I remember many a Saturday afternoon getting the train from Blackburn to Spencer Street, then the train out to West Footscray to go to the footy. Good memories.

Post Thanks / Like

Times are a changin'
    Whole new suburb going up there, and I'm staggered by how much space is created when the old manufacturing buildings go down.
    Walked past the drill hall a few weeks back, it's 100 years old next year!
    It was built to stop the local "Rascles" from harrassing the kids training to go to war

Post Thanks / Like

When my brother took me when we would play North there we would go by the train. Good times.
    When it was my dad we would park in the pop up car parks because he knew heaps of locals.
    When it was my nan we would hit the local streets with the 'no parking on match days' signs. Does the council still have them erected?
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Suz 32 View Post
    That's sad. I remember many a Saturday afternoon getting the train from Blackburn to Spencer Street, then the train out to West Footscray to go to the footy. Good memories.
    Same....geez it was a long train ride home from West Footscray after a loss when I lived in Glen Waverley.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    When my brother took me when we would play North there we would go by the train. Good times.
    When it was my dad we would park in the pop up car parks because he knew heaps of locals.
    When it was my nan we would hit the local streets with the 'no parking on match days' signs. Does the council still have them erected?
    The council put up Parking permit signs all over the local area back in 95 96 when Fitzroy played there.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Remi Moses View Post
    The council put up Parking permit signs all over the local area back in 95 96 when Fitzroy played there.
    Then they should bring them back for the VFL!
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Remi Moses View Post
    I have one of them hanging in my shed, obtained legitimately of course.
    It's better to die on our feet than live on our knees.

Post Thanks / Like

The poor old station is but a shadow of its big brother down the road, for one reason ; Olympic Donuts.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ReLoad View Post
    The poor old station is but a shadow of its big brother down the road, for one reason ; Olympic Donuts.
    I'm salivating thinking of those freshly made donuts
    Great nastolgia

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by always right View Post
    Same....geez it was a long train ride home from West Footscray after a loss when I lived in Glen Waverley.
    Would have been great after a win AR going back home to Glen Waverley from the Whitten Oval.
    "Footscray people are incredible people; so humble. I'm just so happy - ecstatic"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by always right View Post

It was an even longer train(and bus) ride homefrom Waverley to Footscray after a loss at VFL park. As an aside does anyone else remember the state of the VFL park car park on the day of the '92 final against St Kilda? I remember it being ankle deep in mud mostly. Is that right? Was it particularly muddy that day?
    They say Burt Lancaster has one, but I don't believe them.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by KT31 View Post
    I have one of them hanging in my shed, obtained legitimately of course.
    Do people try to park in your shed?
    I have had recurring dreams/nightmares about West Footscray station that bear little relationship to reality. I will be there as part of my connection to the place but am confronted by a violent small gang.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post
    It was an even longer train(and bus) ride homefrom Waverley to Footscray after a loss at VFL park. As an aside does anyone else remember the state of the VFL park car park on the day of the '92 final against St Kilda? I remember it being ankle deep in mud mostly. Is that right? Was it particularly muddy that day?
    Luckily I was too drunk to remember the weather that day and as it happened also where I parked the car. So had to sleep it off for a few hours then stagger around in the dark to try find it. turned out my car was only some 50 meters away from where I had a kip.

Spent the night in the car at "Chataux de Waverley" as it became known.

Life was simple back then

Post Thanks / Like

The Regional Rail Link works that are happening all along the line there have been interesting, if a little frustrating to watch. Mostly though I think they'll be a benefit to people in the area, improved parking for commuters, safer pedestrian facilities etc. Particularly at Sunshine.

I'd say West Footscray station will come in handy for parking etc when we have VFL games back at WO.

16. Likes Raw Toast liked this post