Thanks Thanks:  6
Likes Likes:  19
Page 1 of 9 123456789 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Lets discuss - Tory Dickson

I know on a couple of other threads there has been some discussions about the real worth of Tory Dickson to our forward set-up.

To me, Dickson is a valuable player but obviously he is never going to be a great one mainly because he isn't a key forward or a crumbing one. He's very effective though

He has played 30 senior games now and has kicked 45 goals which is a reasonable return. Last year he was injured for a fair chunk of it and as a result I think he struggled because he hadn't done enough of the work. With a full pre-season leading into 2014 and with hopefully a new addition in Crameri I think Dickson can get under the guard of opposition teams and kick some much needed goals. He might even push up the ground a bit rather than being anchored into the forward 50.

How do you rate Dickson's chances of making consistent performances in 2014?
    Do you see him as a regular player for us?
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Lets discuss - Tory Dickson

If Dickson is able to get a good pre-season under his belt, and stay injury free throughout the season, it would not surprise me to see him lead the goal kicking.

He's a natural goal kicker, an accurate kick and has the smarts to - as you say - get under the guard of the opposition.

At this point in his career, the difference between his best and worst has been significant. But that is not uncommon for < 30 game players. If he improves on the gradient that you would expect a player would from 30 to 50 games, then he will be a very handy forward this season and beyond.

Post Thanks / Like

Dickson for me is part of the forward 6 with Crameri taking the best defender will help him. If he stay fit and has a good preseason i think he can kick 30 to 40 goals .
    I like his forward pressure and with Dahl make a good combo.

Post Thanks / Like

He plays similar to Gia for mine, almost a crumber but probably less speed, for which he makes up in positioning smarts.
    He probably doesn't have Gia's kicking skills under pressure (arguably, no Bulldog in the past decade or so does) but his defensive efforts are first rate. Very good set shot for goal which is something which can't be overlooked.

For mine, he's the reason that Gia's retirement wont hurt so much - will be ready to step into his shoes if his body holds up.
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

Post Thanks / Like

I've been surprised at the level of negativity towards Dickson on the board this off season

I thought he bounced back strongly at the end of the year and showed what a clever goal kicker he is.

Strong on the lead, one on one, and clever off the deck.

If he can get his tank right I think he can get up the ground and be a weapon pushing back to goal.

I view his as the natural Gia replacement, but having a slightly different mix of skills

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    He might even push up the ground a bit rather than being anchored into the forward 50.
    I don't know how you can say this. He does play up the ground and can be found up on the wing and half back for the exit kick from our defence, as well as to be there to run the ball into our forward line and then to to get on the end of it closer to goal. I would suggest we would want Crameri to do this too, as his marking might be a stronger on the lead. Both players would be used to run from defence into the forward line alternately or in tandem.

I would expect Dickson, Crameri and Grant to be playing similar roles but not all at once?

Dickson covers a lot of ground and this idea that he is anchored to the forward line isn't correct in my view. Coming back from injury he didn't cover the ground as his tank and fitness wasn't up to it. He would stop short of going beyond centre.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by metal View Post
    I don't know how you can say this. He does play up the ground and can be found up on the wing and half back for the exit kick from our defence, as well as to be there to run the ball into our forward line and then to to get on the end of it closer to goal.
    I should have phrased it more around him spending time in the middle as a midfielder. I think he plays his best football in the forward arc but he does have the ability to offer us a few other options.

Post Thanks / Like

I like him alot and I view him as a fella that can basically run the forward line ala Gia. If he continues to improve his fitness then he will improve again on what he has shown thus far. If the rest of the team improves as a whole and we getter better/more forward entries he will be a nightmare for defenders as he has natural goal kicking instincts.

Having said all that, he must continue to be a strong defensive presence or he will fast become a down hill skier.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ozza View Post
    If Dickson is able to get a good pre-season under his belt, and stay injury free throughout the season, it would not surprise me to see him lead the goal kicking.

He's a natural goal kicker, an accurate kick and has the smarts to - as you say - get under the guard of the opposition.

At this point in his career, the difference between his best and worst has been significant. But that is not uncommon for < 30 game players. If he improves on the gradient that you would expect a player would from 30 to 50 games, then he will be a very handy forward this season and beyond.
    Agree with this.

You would think that with the addition of Crameri (who obviously provides a dangerous forward target) that both Dickson and Jones will benefit. If our mids can deliver the ball well going inside and if the coaching staff can develop good strategies to help Dickson learn how to maximise the presence of Crameri / Grant, then he may get on the end of quite a few and have big games like he did with his 6 this year. I actually think the addition and form of Grant inside 50 for the last 8 games helped Dickson immensely.

I think Dickson will make a fine contribution next year and I think there is room for Dickson, Grant, Stringer and Crameri who along with Jones and Campbell make up a strong forward line now (something we haven't really had for a long time). While the addition of Crameri and the form of Grant will help Dickson a lot, it will be Stringer who will put the fear of god in opposition coaches next year. If he gets freed up on the 3rd or 4th back he could tear any game apart in 15 minutes. The great strength of our forward line is that it is built with good, dangerous players, all of them, and I don't think many teams will have the quality across the back half to contain all of them. Hopefully this manifests into some good results for us next season.
    But then again, I'm an Internet poster and Bevo is a premiership coach so draw your own conclusions.

Post Thanks / Like

I thought he was brought back too early after his injury last season and played some woeful games, however, he bounced back and kicked goals.

He is a good HFF, but cannot see him play anywhere else. One on one gets beaten most times, so his skills lay in being an opportunist and kicking goals. With another preseason under his plans, he should kick at least 50 goals.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    He is a good HFF, but cannot see him play anywhere else. One on one gets beaten most times, so his skills lay in being an opportunist and kicking goals. With another preseason under his plans, he should kick at least 50 goals.
    I think an 'at least 50 goal' expectation for the season is slightly on the high side but if he can continue to kick his 1.5 to 2 goals a game an even lift the defensive side of his game a bit further I'd be more than happy with a 35 to 40 goal season from him.

Post Thanks / Like

I don't rate him.

He is handy around goals, but when he moves up the field he struggles with poor skill execution and decision making.

Prefer others.

Post Thanks / Like

For me the jury is out. 2014 will tell the tale, I think.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by stefoid View Post
    For me the jury is out. 2014 will tell the tale, I think.
    Any particular reasons?

Post Thanks / Like

I think he has some good attributes but I don't anticipate him being best 22 in a couple of years.

Physically he is very similar to Gia ie. Not very big and not very fast, therefore he has to rely on his smarts.

I don't think he is good enough at outbodying his opponent like Gia, and since he is limited to the forwardline I think he needs to consistently have a big impact on matches to justify his spot ahead of others. He isn't really a link player, and while he does push up the ground at times I think he isn't the best option for this.

By all means I think he is decent, and will probably kick more than 40 goals next season, but I think he is helped by getting one of the worst defenders every week (you would put your better defenders on Grant, Campbell, Dahlhaus and Gia before him). He does create opportunities for scoring but apart from set shots he isn't very accurate. He has a habit of kicking snap shots with the outside of his right boot which very frequently drop short.

Good solid player, but I think he will see others go past him in the next few years.
    I should leave it alone but you're not right