Thanks Thanks:  6
Likes Likes:  19
Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Lets discuss - Tory Dickson

Quote Originally Posted by 1eyedog View Post
    Dicko had a few good patches through the year but he looks cooked.
    Agreed. He is not in the elite that can play on at his age. He has been great for the club but there comes a time and he looked every bit cooked.

Post Thanks / Like

I think the time has come for Dickson but in saying that I am still not sold on Lloyd. Maybe Porter/Greene/Cavarra.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bullies View Post
    I think the time has come for Dickson but in saying that I am still not sold on Lloyd. Maybe Porter/Greene/Cavarra.
    You're not sold on Lloyd, despite him topping our goalkickers with 38, but it's a maybe for Porter and Cavarra, neither of whom have played a single game. Huh?
    [B][COLOR="#0000CD"]Our club was born in blood and boots, not in AFL focus groups.[/COLOR][/B]

4. Likes Bulldog4life, 1eyedog, Topdog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by AndrewP6 View Post
    You're not sold on Lloyd, despite him topping our goalkickers with 38, but it's a maybe for Porter and Cavarra, neither of whom have played a single game. Huh?
    15 game rule

Post Thanks / Like

I’m not sold on Lloyd either being a permanent fix. A few warning signs in the second half of the year.
    More of an In Bruges guy?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by azabob View Post
    I’m not sold on Lloyd either being a permanent fix. A few warning signs in the second half of the year.
    Yeah kicked too many goals
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

8. Likes 1eyedog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Hopefully I am proven wrong about Lloyd and he had a good year but I can't see him improving. I wouldn't put him in the same class as Dickson at his peak.

Post Thanks / Like

Hopefully I am proven wrong about Lloyd and he had a good year but I can't see him improving. I wouldn't put him in the same class as Dickson at his peak.
    If he stalls at 38 goals a year, I'm OK with that.
    [B][COLOR="#0000CD"]Our club was born in blood and boots, not in AFL focus groups.[/COLOR][/B]

11. Likes chef liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

If he stalls at 38 goals a year, I'm OK with that.
    Yeah 38 is fine for me too. I get what you’re saying though Bullies, he’s kicked his best of 3 goals I think on 7-8 occasions. That right now seems his ceiling for some reason whereas peak Tory could kick half a dozen. I think both quoted comments can be right on this. And hopefully he tears some club to absolute shreds next year.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    Yeah 38 is fine for me too. I get what you’re saying though Bullies, he’s kicked his best of 3 goals I think on 7-8 occasions. That right now seems his ceiling for some reason whereas peak Tory could kick half a dozen. I think both quoted comments can be right on this. And hopefully he tears some club to absolute shreds next year.
    You could look at it that he had a breakout year this year. His figures in 17/18 were fairly ordinary (a total of 11 goals from 15 games in the two years) but played 23 games this year and kicked 38. I'd be happy with that rate each year.
    They say Burt Lancaster has one, but I don't believe them.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post
    You could look at it that he had a breakout year this year. His figures in 17/18 were fairly ordinary (a total of 11 goals from 15 games in the two years) but played 23 games this year and kicked 38. I'd be happy with that rate each year.
    I'm happy with him in a forward pocket next year and was happy with him this year. My only gripes is he can be a little too greedy and snaps when simple drop punts will do.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    I'm happy with him in a forward pocket next year and was happy with him this year. My only gripes is he can be a little too greedy and snaps when simple drop punts will do.
    I love having a player who will have a ping from anywhere. After spending a lifetime watching our guys do almost anything in the forward half do anything other than actually take a shot at goal I will happily take a goal hungry player. Paul Hudson was the last player I remember being confident enough to have a ping from anywhere.

After all he's more chance of kicking a goal if he actually has a shot than the rest of our forward line is by doing anything apart from having a shot.
    They say Burt Lancaster has one, but I don't believe them.

Post Thanks / Like

Tough one with Tory. Seems like it really is a numbers game. In short, Webb and Roberts delisted means we have 5 free spots on the senior list. Keath and Bruce in means we have only the minimum 3 heading into the draft. If we want anyone else during the trade period, we either had to actually trade a player or let Dickson go.

Perhaps even being drafted a rookie if he really wants to continue and there are no other takers. Just due to list management reasons.

I don't want to derail this thread but is the minimum amount of draft picks outdated?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rocco Jones View Post
    I don't want to derail this thread but is the minimum amount of draft picks outdated?
    I think yes.

The reason would surely be to ensure every year 50+ kids get a chance, but considering you can promote rookies to take those spots anyway that reasoning becomes somewhat redundant.
    I should leave it alone but you're not right

Post Thanks / Like

Ameet Bains said this morning that Bruce (deep), Naughton (roam/lead) & Schache (endurance up & down the ground) will play together.

Lloyd & Dale have had best years:

HF: Schache Naughton McLen
    F: Dale Bruce Lloyd

Hopefully there's a pressure small forward coming this trade period. Then resting mids forward. Plus our small forward depth is West (currently), Williams (maybe), Greene, Cavarra, Gowers & Vandermeer.

Where does this news from Bains leave the uncontracted Tory Dickson?