Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Broadcaster Fads: The Good, The Bad & The Abandoned.

Was thinking about the various fads that broadcasters have shoved down our throat.

I like to see goals and behinds when they show scores, as if I've not seen the game the accuracy gives me a better or quicker handle on things.

The 'fourth umpire' channel 7 did a decade ago was interesting. As a former seniors umpire, hearing Rowan Sawyers talk is interesting. As a supporter, I don't care for people justifying decisions live, it put the light on the umpires, not the game.

I hated channel 10 taking the countdown clock off at 5 minutes. Hated it.

And you?
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Broadcaster Fads: The Good, The Bad & The Abandoned.

One name Dwayne pipe Russell.
    Every player is a superstar and overplays every aspect of his commentary.
    Also his mindless bit of trivia, and his smarmy tone.
    The new fox footy ad is cringeworthy in the extreme

Post Thanks / Like

I'd love to see a multi-angle option on Fox Footy. You could select a close-up view or a wider shot of the half of the ground in action. It'd make it far easier to follow a game on TV, IMHO. I often go to the games, so going from seeing the whole game to just the ball carrier really affects the understanding of what's going on, and I wonder if those who can't attend games understand the game itself less as a result.

Post Thanks / Like

I would pay good money for Fox to fire whoever was responsible for the score window for other live games in the bottom right hand of the screen and banish it forever. Makes my blood boil.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BornAScragger View Post
    I'd love to see a multi-angle option on Fox Footy. You could select a close-up view or a wider shot of the half of the ground in action. It'd make it far easier to follow a game on TV, IMHO. I often go to the games, so going from seeing the whole game to just the ball carrier really affects the understanding of what's going on, and I wonder if those who can't attend games understand the game itself less as a result.
    Fox Footy used to do that by pressing red, and the four screens to choose from, one was always a wider view of the ground, it also allowed them to focus on a certain match up or player such as Ablett cam.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mighty_west View Post
    Fox Footy used to do that by pressing red, and the four screens to choose from, one was always a wider view of the ground, it also allowed them to focus on a certain match up or player such as Ablett cam.
    And there was one without commentary if I remember right, just the crowd.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hujsh View Post
    And there was one without commentary if I remember right, just the crowd.
    That's right, it was like a flashback to the 70's and 80's games not televised with the highlights overdubbed with the same crowd audio used.

Post Thanks / Like

Sandy Roberts has made the move to Fox Footy 504. Blast from the past, maybe Drew Morphett soon?
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    Sandy Roberts has made the move to Fox Footy 504. Blast from the past, maybe Drew Morphett soon?
    I don't mind Sandy and Drew is one of my favourites.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    I don't mind Sandy and Drew is one of my favourites.
    I'm a fan of both, I find Sandy's career over the journey fascinating (especially against his colleagues from 20 years ago) and his move to 504 is a good thing for its viewers.

Post Thanks / Like

Any half reasonable on air talent addition will be a positive. Despite their brilliant coverage, Fox's commentary teams are awful. Headed up by Dwayne "it's a 50m penalty this will be for 9 points from the goal square" Russell. Seriously how many times does he need to be told something to be able to remember it?
    Western Bulldogs: We exist to win premierships

Post Thanks / Like

I shudder in disbelief when I sit down to watch a game to find both Dwayne Russell and Gerard Healy both commentating.
    Healey invariably "barracks" for the home team when on an interstate gig, and is basically clueless whilst Russell is plainly moronic.
    During our Round 2 game against the Crows in 2012, Russell made mention of the fact of the gap in the ladder positions of the 2 competing teams. Given that it was Round 2 and one team was coming off a win and another off a loss, the respective ladder positions were hardly surprising or relevant. He is a TOOL.
    [CENTER][B]WOOF Member 315[/B][/CENTER]

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by craigsahibee View Post
    I shudder in disbelief when I sit down to watch a game to find both Dwayne Russell and Gerard Healy both commentating.
    Healey invariably "barracks" for the home team when on an interstate gig, and is basically clueless whilst Russell is plainly moronic.
    During our Round 2 game against the Crows in 2012, Russell made mention of the fact of the gap in the ladder positions of the 2 competing teams. Given that it was Round 2 and one team was coming off a win and another off a loss, the respective ladder positions were hardly surprising or relevant. He is a TOOL.
    I was so happy when he left 774, now I pray he leaves 504
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.