Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

The Malthouse Assistant Coach Empire: Over?

Once upon a time having Assistant Coach to Mick Malthouse on your resume was a ticket to a senior appointment. Is today officially the end of the empire?

- Watters: Sacked
    - Neeld: Sacked
    - Scott: Under achieved
    - Buckley: Under achieved
    - Laidley: Sacked (from North)
    - McKenna: Jury still out

That's just off the top of my head, there may be more.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

Re: The Malthouse Assistant Coach Empire: Over?

I have never rated Malthouse.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Weird bloke but has won more flags than us.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    I have never rated Malthouse.
    C'mon man.
    - I'm a visionary - Only here to confirm my biases -

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Happy Days View Post
    C'mon man.
    Malthouse got the very best out of some average players during his coaching tenure at the Western Bulldogs. His competitive spirit on the field was matched in getting the best out of the players he coached.WCE had limited success before Malthouse's appointment, where he led them to two premierships.IMO Malthouse rates very highly in the coaching stakes at the WB over the past 30 years.

Post Thanks / Like

I would rate him as a coach but I can't warm to him as a person. Is he getting a bit past it? How he goes at Carlton will soon tell.
    Don't piss off old people
    The older we get the less "LIFE IN PRISON" is a deterrent...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Hotdog60 View Post
    I would rate him as a coach but I can't warm to him as a person. Is he getting a bit past it? How he goes at Carlton will soon tell.
    Crap bloke . Very good coach

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Nuggety Back Pocket View Post
    Malthouse got the very best out of some average players during his coaching tenure at the Western Bulldogs. His competitive spirit on the field was matched in getting the best out of the players he coached.WCE had limited success before Malthouse's appointment, where he led them to two premierships.IMO Malthouse rates very highly in the coaching stakes at the WB over the past 30 years.
    His 87 performance was outstanding.
    He says that was his best year coaching and favourite. That team was awful and pre salary cap, so we lost players. Still our best coach in my time.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Happy Days View Post
    C'mon man.
    ok, as a person.

as a coach - I do think he is past his best

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    ok, as a person.

as a coach - I do think he is past his best
    being past his best is very different from "I have never rated him"

Post Thanks / Like

The way I see it his hard nosed coaching style is outdated and only still works for him because he's Mick Malthouse and he demands respect. Someone like Mark Neeld once he lost the respect of his players had no way of turning things around because he took the, 'no, I'm right, we'll just keep on ploughing away' attitude like Malthouse. You can see it in Buckley too but Bucks seems to have the footy brain and respect at Collingwood to succeed.
    'And the Western suburbs erupt!'

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Nuggety Back Pocket View Post
    Whilst we had a very good season in 1985, Malthouse failed to get us to any other finals in subsequent years. I believe we had the players at the time, but he just didn't have the ability to get them up for many games. I still maintain, we should have won the 1985 prelim, but we were outcoached.

Post Thanks / Like

I think Buckley, dealing with a bunch of wankers and egos is probably doing OK.

How he rebuilds the list and turns around attitude and performance over the next two years will be interesting to see.

Post Thanks / Like

Which Scott was under Malthouse? Laidley is still considered a great tactician and IMO wasn't a failure as a coach.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post
    I think Buckley, dealing with a bunch of wankers and egos is probably doing OK.

How he rebuilds the list and turns around attitude and performance over the next two years will be interesting to see.
    And this is where Mick was poor for mine. I've heard Rocket talk privately about his own role at Collingwood and he made it pretty clear that there were some big attitude problems at the club partially the result of Mick being okay with players acting unprofessionally so long as they performed on game day.
    'And the Western suburbs erupt!'