Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Tigers want Dogs' Scott Clayton

Tigers want Dogs' Scott Clayton

17 October 2007 Herald Sun
    Mark Robinson

THE off-field exodus at the Western Bulldogs could continue, with Richmond trying to poach recruiting manager Scott Clayton, Mark Robinson writes in this analysis.

Clayton, who is regarded highly within the football industry, is out of contract and one of the targets of the cashed-up Tigers.

Richmond's director of football Greg Miller didn't deny his club's interest yesterday.

"We're certainly going to increase our recruiting team," Miller said.

"We think we've got an outstanding recruiter in Francis Jackson, but we're on the lookout for someone to assist him.

"We have spoken to a number of people at different clubs.

"The club's timing is we'll be adding to our recruiting team following the national draft (November 24) and not before it."

Clayton's future at Whitten Oval could hinge on the results of a highly publicised post-season review.

Already, the review, which was announced by president David Smorgon in the changerooms after the Round 22 loss to the Kangaroos -- in front of fans and media -- has shaken the club.

Its reverberations are being felt by staff, including coach Rodney Eade who is not under pressure in his role, but who is overseeing a football department quickly falling apart.

Coincidence or not, as the review has unfolded, the Bulldogs have lost:

PLAYER development manager Jason Mifsud to the AFL.

ASSISTANT coach Chris Bond to Fremantle.

ASSISTANT coach Sean Wellman to Melbourne.

HIGH-performance manager Matthew Drain to St Kilda on Monday.

It's believed Drain, a close friend of Eade's, had a verbal undertaking a new contract was coming, but apparently got itchy feet and jumped at the Saints' offer of a similar position.

The Dogs, aware of the public relations concern, will argue Mifsud was poached, Wellman is close friends with new Melbourne coach Dean Bailey from their Essendon days and Bond, after eight years at Whitten Oval, needed a change.

That, and the money from Fremantle for Bond was just too attractive.

Further negative press came when Jordan McMahon gave his former club a clip about player welfare on the day the Tigers announced his official arrival at Punt Rd.

Now the target is Clayton.

The timing, while can't be planned, is horrible.

The nightmare of the past six weeks, the review, and the subsequent fallout has left the Bulldogs stumbling. Memberships will be sent out soon, too.

Eade did not want to talk yesterday, but it's likely Wayne Campbell's part-time role will be extended to full-time as an assistant, while Leon Cameron, who was sought by Carlton but stayed, will be midfield coach.

The Dogs are looking for a defensive coach, development coach and a replacement for Drain.

That appointment will likely come from the review headed by chief executive Campbell Rose, who is in France this week for the Rugby World Cup final.

It's believed Clayton, like Drain, has a verbal undertaking he is wanted by the Bulldogs.

Clayton was recruited to the Bulldogs by current Richmond coach Terry Wallace in 1999.

The Tigers, meanwhile, will advertise soon for an assistant coach to replace Jade Rawlings, who will coach VFL team Coburg.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Tigers want Dogs' Scott Clayton

Next thing they'll want to move to the Whitten Oval!
    "You always own the option of having no opinion. There is never any need to get worked up or to trouble your soul about things you can't control. These things are not asking to be judged by you. Leave them alone" - Marcus Aurelius

Post Thanks / Like

I think Clayton has shown with his picks especially over the past 2 years that he is very good at his job. I think we need to do everything in our power to keep him. We can't keep losing quality people to other 'cashed up' clubs.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    "We're certainly going to increase our recruiting team," Miller said.

"We think we've got an outstanding recruiter in Francis Jackson, but we're on the lookout for someone to assist him.
    Why on earth would Clayton go back to a recruiting manager's assistant role.

Post Thanks / Like

They have been chasing him for a while.
    I'm not sure Clayton would go work with Wallace again.
    Clayton was still very much a public face of the Bulldogs during trade week so I find it hard to believe he would leave.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ErnieSigley View Post
    They have been chasing him for a while.
    I'm not sure Clayton would go work with Wallace again.
    Clayton was still very much a public face of the Bulldogs during trade week so I find it hard to believe he would leave.

I think Eade has given Clayton a fair bit of freedom over the past 2 years. Clayton has the ability to almost demand what number of picks he wants and to play around with draft pick no's and playing list to achieve this.

Post Thanks / Like

I was thinking about this on the way to work this morning.

How have Clayton's picks changed with the 3 different coaches we have had?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Topdog View Post
    I was thinking about this on the way to work this morning.

How have Clayton's picks changed with the 3 different coaches we have had?
    Agree with Mantis, with Eade he has had more freedom, Eade trusts him. I doubt he would have asked to trade picks 6,19 and 20 for magic beans.
    Under Wallace I can't remember but we did some silly trades then too. I think he wanted Bartlett.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sockeye Salmon View Post
    Why on earth would Clayton go back to a recruiting manager's assistant role.
    Perhaps they mean assisting as in overseeing the whole list management.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ErnieSigley View Post
    Agree with Mantis, with Eade he has had more freedom, Eade trusts him. I doubt he would have asked to trade picks 6,19 and 20 for magic beans.
    Under Wallace I can't remember but we did some silly trades then too. I think he wanted Bartlett.
    We traded Michael Martin for Bartlett and pick 32 (Daniel Giansiracusa) so it wasn't exactly a disaster trade. Clayton would have been happy because he got an extra pick to work with.

Post Thanks / Like

I also think Wallace and Miller are on borrowed time at Richmond.
    Why would you go there knowing if they have another poor year they will be gone and possible everything that came with it.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    Perhaps they mean assisting as in overseeing the whole list management.
    I thought it looked a bit strange offering an assistant recruiting position but that may not be accurate reporting

Wallace did recruit Clayton to us though

Post Thanks / Like

There was no direct quotes from Richmond saying they were going after him. To me it sounded like speculation due to the end of season review.

Post Thanks / Like

Still, with the loss of four of the assistants it's worrying stuff.
    But Richmond, my god why dont they just change their name to the Western Bullogs already?! Wallace must be missing us

Post Thanks / Like

Yes, Richmond? Want anything else while you're at it?